[Newbie] Little girl by the beach

jov89

Jun 15, 2010
IMG_1020.JPG

Hi there,
This is my first time posting in this thread, so please be nice to me ;p

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I would like to know what you think about the composition and exposure.
The camera settings used: ISO 800, 17-50mm lens, f2.8, 1/2500 sec.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope to show a relaxed, happy, and carefree environment in the picture.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
It was evening (before sunset), I wanted to take a picture of the lil girl playing with sand, but she turned to me and smile just at the right time when I click the shutter:sweatsm:.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think it was quite a lucky shot, it looks fine the way it is without any PP. The little boy at the background may be a bit of a distraction. But of course I would like to get your honest feedbacks and comments.

Thank you and would appreciate it!

Hey, thks bulleyez!
Pls keep the comments coming =)

be more daring to go low esp when shooting children. the exposure looks fine for a candid street snap. the children at the back is perfectly fine as it brings abt context to the photo. can consider cropping away the breakwater at the back and adjusting the tilt if u want.

be more daring to go low esp when shooting children. the exposure looks fine for a candid street snap. the children at the back is perfectly fine as it brings abt context to the photo. can consider cropping away the breakwater at the back and adjusting the tilt if u want.

Agreed, with pets and children, shoot them from their eye level. Makes the picture stand out.

Cheers!

Agreed, with pets and children, shoot them from their eye level. Makes the picture stand out.

Cheers!

Ooh..ok! When I took this picture, I was on my knees, but maybe wasn't low enough to be at eye level. Thanks for the info! Now I learn something new =)

Do u mind explaining abit about adjusting the tilt and cropping away the breakwater? Do you mean making the line at the background horizontal? Sorry if this sounded like a noob question hehe. Thank you!

hi,
Personally feel that the exposure's still not too bad, even though if i were you, i would have taken this shot at a lower iso speed to avoid much of the distracting noise.. Nevertheless, tt's a small factor. Anws, similar to those have mentioned above, u can try getting low and take at her eye level.

cheers!

Ooh..ok! When I took this picture, I was on my knees, but maybe wasn't low enough to be at eye level. Thanks for the info! Now I learn something new =)

You are most welcome. We all learn something new everyday too.

If you have too go lay down on your sides or tummy, do it. I've seen lady shooters going down on their tummy to shoot at street cats! So why can't we?

Cheers!

cute girl!:)

at 1/2500, you would have quite abit of allowance for lower ISO and higher F number. Probably next time you can try to take note. usually, 1/500 shd be able to freeze the action.

hi,
Personally feel that the exposure's still not too bad, even though if i were you, i would have taken this shot at a lower iso speed to avoid much of the distracting noise.. Nevertheless, tt's a small factor. Anws, similar to those have mentioned above, u can try getting low and take at her eye level.

cheers!

Hi photofreak123! I have to agree with you. Thanks for the input =)

You are most welcome. We all learn something new everyday too.

If you have too go lay down on your sides or tummy, do it. I've seen lady shooters going down on their tummy to shoot at street cats! So why can't we?

Cheers!

Wow..that's cool. I suppose I wasn't brave enough after a few incidents where I got a direct confrontation while taking some street/candid shots hehe. But that's another story :sweatsm:

cute girl!:)

at 1/2500, you would have quite abit of allowance for lower ISO and higher F number. Probably next time you can try to take note. usually, 1/500 shd be able to freeze the action.

Hi ovaltinemilo, I was using the camera at Aperture-priority mode, so the shutter speed was adjusted according to my aperture settings. I was hoping to achieve a shallow DOF with a lower f number. I'm not too sure about it though, perhaps you can explain :D
And yes, the girl is very cuteeeee!

Good attempt at capturing the moment!

Personally, I would have lowered a bit, but still above eye level. I would also stick around to wait for more 'golden moments.' :)

Good attempt at capturing the moment!

Personally, I would have lowered a bit, but still above eye level. I would also stick around to wait for more 'golden moments.' :)

Thanks gymak90! So I guess in general the comments would be to capture at eye level :)

Hi ovaltinemilo, I was using the camera at Aperture-priority mode, so the shutter speed was adjusted according to my aperture settings. I was hoping to achieve a shallow DOF with a lower f number. I'm not too sure about it though, perhaps you can explain :D
And yes, the girl is very cuteeeee!

In this case I reckon that you would want to keep the aperture setting..probably you can dial ISO to 100 or 200(if Nikon) and check if your shutter speed is fast enough for you...

For composition, i think you should get down to the same level of the girl. Get down on your knees and try to see them eye-to-eye. The photo will be more interesting this way. =D
As for exposure, i think other clubsnappers already gave very good suggestions.. ^^

Another thing to note. The horizon on the rear. The tilt makes it a lil uncomfortable. Either crop it off or correct the tilt.

Both slanting lines make the eye get drawn to the top left instead.