Newbie. List of things I'm buying. Need opinions from you guys.

liyanayacob

Jun 21, 2010
Singapore
Hi guys! :)

So I am going to purchase my first dslr either tomorrow or friday. I will list down the things I would like to buy. Maybe you guys could give me some final say/tips/opinions and maybe add on to the must have list for beginners.

- Canon 550D kit (EF 18-55 IS)
- EF 50 mm f1.8 mk II prime lens
- Sandisk 8/16gb SDHC class 10 card
(will be buying those stated above from slr revolution at funan. Wise choice? And will they give any free goodies, like camera bags, etc? )

- Digi-Cabi AD 50L dry cabinet
- ?... filters perhaps?
- ?
Any other things to add on? Thanks :)

Don't have to get such a high speed SD card.Just the normal Sandisk Ultra will do.SLR Revolution is ok,but u might wanna ask other recommended shops around the area.Filter just get a normal UV one will do...

You don't need such a high speed card especially if you are not shooting video.

How about 600D? The price should not differ from 550D by too much. But 550D is a good camera to start with too.

Depends on your budget, dry cabinet would be good to have, if not a dry box (if you know what is it).
Filters not an immediate to get, do research on which filter is good and what's the price to prevent yourself from getting conned.
Spare battery? Third party batteries such as phottix is good also.
Cleaning kit? Need not buy from the same shop.

SLR has a website now, just drop them a msg to ask for quote if you haven to safeguard yourself.

The remaining items buy only when you feel you need them, no need to get all at a go. Walk down to National Library and borrow some books to read too :). Recommend Scott Kelby's books for beginners.

If for beginner and you are on budget than the 18-55mm kit will be alright for a walk about lens. And a 50mm f1.8 MKII is also a good budget prime lens for portrait shoot. Sharpness is good but the bokeh is average. As for SDHC card Sandisk is a good and reliable memory card but expensive in price. If you want cheaper can go for Kingston, Transcend etc. If you are taking normal portrait or street shots actually a class 6 memory card will be enough no need class 10.

Did you check other shop other than SLR? I bought my Canon from MS Colour. They give good price too. Try to get more prices from different shop for comparison will save you some money.

Freebies are more or less standard. Because it is given by Canon. You need to use the purchase receipt and the warranty card to collect your freebies from Canon Lab at Harbourfront.

Just one thing - do you really have a lot of items to keep at low humidity? Otherwise a 50L cabinet takes up quite a bit of space, and your camera will feel quite lonely sitting there all by itself. :p

If you think you are going to get many telephoto lenses in future (200mm and above) 50L will fit the bill, otherwise you may consider something smaller and upgrade if needed.

- Digi-Cabi AD 50L dry cabinet

you need a proper bag to carry your stuff (i'd suggest Think Tank for solid protection) and a good, sturdy tripod (Manfrotto. they're very, very good :D) because if they do give a free one, it's always crappy quality.

hmm and of course flash lights, filters, reflectors, strobes......

:bsmilie:

Congrats on deciding getting a DSLR

Your choices are Good but The SD card is a bit .. lol

Do some research On the Filters i Prefer Hoya and B+W lol

For lenses like 18-55 and 50 1.8, I'd skip the filters..
Just get a hood for the 18-55..
Good filters that do not degrade your picture quality much will be kinda expensive considering the price of your lenses..

Just my 2 cents :)

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it a lot. :)
I decided on the class 10 as who knows I might go into video shooting and all and not have to buy a brand new card. hah.
I've asked one of the people from SLR about the price. Here it is:
Canon 550D kit (EF 18-55 IS) - $1056
EF 50mm f1.8 mk II - $121
Sandisk SDHC 16gb class 10 - $78

Is there somewhere that sells cheaper than that? Checked Alan photo website and theirs is a bit more expensive.

SDHC - If you are not going for fast action photography/video (or shooting things that requires high FPS) even a Class 4 SDHC will do. I personally use a Sandisk Class 4 on my 500D

Bags - Can consider Lowepro or Vanguard also (but you may want to know what type u like, backpack or shoulder carry or etc)

Tripod - Sirui is not bad a choice also....check TK Foto in facebook for the pricing.

Filters - Read up more on filters (I assume u meant CPL, ND, GNDs, Closeup etc) before you get conned by some shops/salesman. But can consider getting a basic UV filter to protect ur 18-55 *I don't want to spark a debate here on whether with or without filters is better, but for the precious "only" lens, I recommend some form of protection.* But please do note that filters does/may increases chances of flare/ghosting in photos & also may lower Image Quality (IQ)...(that's why got a long list of debates)

Is there somewhere that sells cheaper than that? Checked Alan photo website and theirs is a bit more expensive.
Do yourself a favour and skip Alan Photo. Too many reports about weird, unfriendly and even chopping experience. Nothing for a newbie.
Check the Canon Price guides for price references, recent quotes and other shops (incl. addresses). Get a phone and give them a call.
You don't need to get everything in one shot. It's not like All Inclusive Holiday package. Get what you need (not what others have or tell you to get) and where you understand why you need it. If you don't know it's safe to skip it for the moment. Better to make decisions based on knowledge.
Regarding memory card: they are bound to become cheaper (regardless what happens in Japan right now). Get a faster card if you really need it. It's not a waste to have more than one card. Search the forum for those postings reporting card errors and asking for image recovery.

Last edited:
IMO, a blower (giotto rocket blower for around ten bucks) and a lens pen too.

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciate it a lot. :)
I decided on the class 10 as who knows I might go into video shooting and all and not have to buy a brand new card. hah.
I've asked one of the people from SLR about the price. Here it is:
Canon 550D kit (EF 18-55 IS) - $1056
EF 50mm f1.8 mk II - $121
Sandisk SDHC 16gb class 10 - $78

You can skip Alan Photo. Try MS Colour. They give good price on Canon stuffs. For my Canon I asked 5 shops and MS Colour is the lowest. Look for Florence. She is the lady boss so her service is the best rather than the normal staffs there.

Any other things to add on? Thanks :)

To know the rough market prices of items before hand , and have a good knowledge of what u r buying.
Do not be swayed to buy something u are not sure of ( and thats where alot of carrot chopping takes place )

Happy shooting / and shopping

Ryan

(will be buying those stated above from slr revolution at funan. Wise choice? And will they give any free goodies, like camera bags, etc? )

when buying at SLRR it's pretty standard. standard prices - fixed, cannot bargain. no free gifts. but their prices are pretty good if you actually check out other shops and make a comparison. happy buying/shooting. :)

IMO, a blower (giotto rocket blower for around ten bucks) and a lens pen too.

:thumbsup:

can get at SLRR if you're making your purchase there, they have pretty good blowers and lens pens. :)

Most store could give you free 8GB class 6 memory card, this is like a standard package. Ask for free cheap cleaning kit. Add more for LCD protector film.
I hope canon promo still on. You can get a camera bag and tripod for free.

forget the lens kit, go directly to 18-55 f2.8 lens ;)

Most store could give you free 8GB class 6 memory card, this is like a standard package. Ask for free cheap cleaning kit. Add more for LCD protector film.
I hope canon promo still on. You can get a camera bag and tripod for free.

forget the lens kit, go directly to 18-55 f2.8 lens ;)

17-55 u mean :devil: