Newbie learning to take food photos

ntheni

May 5, 2011
Singapore
Hi all,

Super newbie here~ Just pick up photography as hobby.
Hope to learn more about photography
Please C&C Thanks~!

My Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ntheni/

Before Edit

Serenity Roasted Beef

4 Stars Out of 5

Some PP done after learning many tips from the bro & sis here

Before edit

Serenity Apple Strubder

2 Stars Out of 5
After edited

Last edited:

ntheni

May 5, 2011
Singapore

Before edit

Marche Roast Chicken Crepe

After edited

3 Stars Out of 5

Before edit

Marche Fried Calamari

After edited

3 Stars Out of 5

Marche Rosti & Sausage

4 Stars Out of 5

Sorry max 5 pic per post so can't show the before photo for Rosti & Sausage

Last edited:

flipfreak

Nov 26, 2007
Singapore
www.rogerchua.com
most of the shots are abit underexposed and u might want to tweak the wb. framing and composition can play around with it.

ntheni

May 5, 2011
Singapore
Thanks flipfreak~~ but what is wb? Sorry, really green in this. :)

holywing

May 26, 2008
Singapore
just a small suggest, the food you are taking not need to be so near.

photoart

Feb 21, 2009
Singapore
www.facebook.com
read the manual of your camera model as different camera varies..... change the white balance by setting it to the ambient setting. the settings are represented by the different symbols (florescent lightbulb, house, cloud etc ).

in your case, I think the photos are taken in a yellow light environment. set your WB to the incandescent lightbulb symbol to get more natural photos.

When u are more advance, you can play with color temp to get the WB that you like.

Sgdevilzz

May 16, 2010
Thanks flipfreak~~ but what is wb? Sorry, really green in this. :)
Your Composition is good. Just the lightings need alittle touch up. If possible bring a white card (preferably hard type) and do manual white balance. In that way you'll get the correct white balance instead of tweaking each WB settings which might not even be correct.

ntheni

May 5, 2011
Singapore
read the manual of your camera model as different camera varies..... change the white balance by setting it to the ambient setting. the settings are represented by the different symbols (florescent lightbulb, house, cloud etc ).

in your case, I think the photos are taken in a yellow light environment. set your WB to the incandescent lightbulb symbol to get more natural photos.

When u are more advance, you can play with color temp to get the WB that you like.
Thanks photoart, but I'm not really a manual guy :) I using canon 1100D and yes it's was taken under yellow light environment. I will try out the wb for my next shot~ thanks!

ntheni

May 5, 2011
Singapore
Your Composition is good. Just the lightings need alittle touch up. If possible bring a white card (preferably hard type) and do manual white balance. In that way you'll get the correct white balance instead of tweaking each WB settings which might not even be correct.
Ya, I find that the main problem for my photos are the wb and lighting. Will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tips :)

ntheni

May 5, 2011
Singapore
Hi all Snr Bros,

Is my lighting better for this shot?
Please comment. Thanks!!

Old Town Curry Noodle

3 Stars Out of 5

Last edited:

CamInit

Nov 3, 2009
Some of your backgrounds are distracting. Might wanna consider simplifying or rearrange items behind to create leading lines to the subject. Narrow DOF are attractive but useful if you only want to focus on particular part. Stop down if the dish comprises of more than one item of interest.
:)

ntheni

May 5, 2011
Singapore
Undergrd: Thanks

Caminit: Thanks I take note of my backgound next time.

Holywing: Nope, all were not edit. Only the last photo i adjusted some brightness as I cant really get the right wb on the shot.

JweiH

Nov 6, 2010
Use the white plate to judge the WB.. Make the photo cooler till you see that white that you should see on the plate.

ntheni

May 5, 2011
Singapore
Use the white plate to judge the WB.. Make the photo cooler till you see that white that you should see on the plate.
Thanks Jweih. Noted. Really not easy to take a good shot haha

Top Bottom