Newbie its an advice

alpharebel

Aug 31, 2011
Hi i am a newbie. I got interested in photography after i was given a sony a290, but i do not possess any skill in photography nor i have any knowledge on cameras and its equipment.
I would u guys to give some tips on what kind of photography should i involve in as a beginner, should i start with potrait shots, black and white or landscape shots or any other shots?
N what type of lens, filters and/flash do i need for this shots that are suitqble for my sony a290?
Thanks tor your comment and advise.

Hi i am a newbie. I got interested in photography after i was given a sony a290, but i do not possess any skill in photography nor i have any knowledge on cameras and its equipment.
I would u guys to give some tips on what kind of photography should i involve in as a beginner, should i start with potrait shots, black and white or landscape shots or any other shots?
N what type of lens, filters and/flash do i need for this shots that are suitqble for my sony a290?

Hi, when you are starting out, suggest you try everything, but focus your efforts one at a time.

Jack of all trades, master of none... Just find what you're interested in, and keep shooting it. It is only a matter of time. :)

For a start, suggest you stick to the kit lens for now, and see how you feel restricted by it, and go on from there.

i would rather think you should ask yourself: Which do u like/prefer? Generally speaking, most start off with landscape though but some know their direction and head str off eg. macro, streets etc

Try shooting more, and i don't think you require any special filters yet till u get the techniques right. Once u find ur limitation, then start adding more lens/filters combination. UV filters aren't a must but help to protect, i remove it to get better IQ, self preference kinda thing. Hope my 2cents helps, cheers :)

Please do not create multiple threads on the same topic, thanks. Thread merged.

GO out with a few friends and shoot =D
if not join the newbie gatherings in the outing section, i am sure there is alot of people willing to share their experience with u =)
have u identified what u like to shoot?

You can start shooting everything to find out what you like. Landscape, portraits, streets, sports.. just go and see what really excites you. To get familiar with your equipment you can either read up, try, read up further or maybe join some courses and workshops. They are not camera / brand specific (all cameras work more or less the same way, you manual tells you how to operate) but rather focus on the basic skills of photography. Check here for more details: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forums/121-Workshops-Tutorials-and-Classes
Blunt and direct: none.
As long as you don't know what you need you should not buy anything. Your camera works fine for many situations without any filters. Also, if you just head to the next camera shop and ask for a filter .. well, chances are very good you'll leave with a useless piece of glass and a big hole in your wallet. First is to learn what filters are made for what can be done with them (including what cannot be done). Will become obvious if you need one for your situations and subjects. Don't buy because other also have it. Here is a nice guide for filters: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/803029-Newbie-Guide-to-Filters
You see, there are many guides and articles posted here already. Take your time to read them, slowly. And don't forget: the picture speaks, not the equipment :)

Jus try everything fro portraits to landscape to street, birds, animals, insects. Soon u will realize which 1 u r reali into n prefer ^^

alpharebel said:

Hi. I suggest reading up more. Pick up a basic photography book and watch YouTube video to learn :)

what do you like to shoot?

you've at least gotta ask yourself that first.

Thanks for all your advices and tips..

I actually like street photography and was kinda involved in lomography when i was younger.
One thing about me is that i am too shy too take shots especially of people on the streets.. Has been my weakness since born o guess.. Lol
Anyway i will look up the sites/threads that u guys suggest and read more about street photography and what kind of equipment it needs.. Cant afford to buy too expensives equipment either

There is few street photography outing which u can join in the Gathering/outing forum..