Newbie interested in buying a DSLR

jordz0r

Oct 30, 2010
I pretty much fell in love with photography after taking my digital photography module in Polytechnic, and have decided to purchase a DSLR for myself after much consideration.

I personally prefer Canon.

However, I'm kinda at a dilemma of which model i should get. Being a newbie photographer, I wouldn't want to splurge on a high-end one, just a beginner's one will do.

Am now considering 50d or 550d. Any other models for recommendation is welcomed.

Also, I'd most likely want to get a long and a medium length one (Take note I'm using layman terms, showing how much of an amateur I am :p)'

TIV

check out the newbie thread posted by rashkae.

Also, I'd most likely want to get a long and a medium length one (Take note I'm using layman terms, showing how much of an amateur I am :p)'

Sorry, it does not show you're amateur, it just shows you are barely serious about this hobby, and I would ask that you consider spending any money at all in the first place. Using your layman terms, I would suggest 50D over 550D cos 50D is longer than a 550D, breadthwise and heightwise.

Read the sticky thread at the top of the thread list.

Sorry, it does not show you're amateur, it just shows you are barely serious about this hobby, and I would ask that you consider spending any money at all in the first place. Using your layman terms, I would suggest 50D over 550D cos 50D is longer than a 550D, breadthwise and heightwise.

Read the sticky thread at the top of the thread list.

my bad, i meant medium length lens.

not the body itself. i'd prolly get a normal lens and a portrait one, just for scenic shots.

my bad, i meant medium length lens.
There is no 'medium length' lens. Get rid of this inaccurate laymen terms, learn about the real terms and their meaning.
i'd prolly get a normal lens and a portrait one, just for scenic shots.
All lenses can be used for portraits and scenic shots, the results will be different, though.
The term 'normal lens' refers to a lens giving you roughly the field of view of the naked eye. For a film camera this was the 50mm focal length. For Canon DSLR and the crop factor you need to look at 35mm, roughly. Please read up about the terms used here. All can be found in the Internet easily.
I suggest you get the kit lens. Canon (and other camera makes) equip their entry level models with this lens because it serves most purposes that a newcomer has. Get it and learn from there. Talking about lenses without any knowledge is like blind man talking about colours.

alright, i'll go check out the newbie guide. thanks