Newbie Indonesian Sunrise Shot

PS : Image can not appear.(tried with insert image) if you kind, please go to this link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22921844@N07/5109791633/

Sunrise at Mount Rinjani, Lombok, Indonesia. is around 3000m above sea level.. with 500D and Tokina 11-16
PS : no post processing in this photo.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
sunrise mood, composition, and angle, and any other you want to critique here:)

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
i was hoping to get the good mood and the colors on the pic..

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
taken in early morning at around 5:30, it was very cool (at around 5 degree Celcius) and windy. my hands was shaking and its hard to press the camera's button with gloves on !

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i like the colors on the sky, even though there are some parts is over exposed :( and the silhouette..

Last edited:
to critique your shot. we have to be able to see your photo.

now this is funny

Considering no pp, I like the colours of the sunrise too. However, it would be better if that mountain in front didn't block your view (since your focus is the sunrise right?)

Dear TS, please read up some guide in CS, as well as in flickr.
The link was retrive from "Download the medium size of this photo"

A little help here.

5109791633_777c93b1cb_z_d.jpg

IMO, the colour is great. The composition is not very interesting. Try look for some other 'mountain / hill' that looks more interesting when you frame?

you need to click the 'insert image' and paste your link in it . . . :)

Love the colour but overall the composition is not very appealing.

Dear TS, please read up some guide in CS, as well as in flickr.
The link was retrive from "Download the medium size of this photo"

A little help here.

5109791633_777c93b1cb_z_d.jpg

IMO, the colour is great. The composition is not very interesting. Try look for some other 'mountain / hill' that looks more interesting when you frame?

hmm actually the sunrise came from that side, and actually i cant move much, its hills and slope everywhere :(
thanks for commenting :)

you need to click the 'insert image' and paste your link in it . . . :)

Love the colour but overall the composition is not very appealing.

i did that, but i dont know why its not showing up..
thanks for commenting.

Considering no pp, I like the colours of the sunrise too. However, it would be better if that mountain in front didn't block your view (since your focus is the sunrise right?)

i was about to climb the mountain that blocks the sunrise, but it got hill in between, i can do that, but im going to miss the sunrise moment :(
thanks for commenting though..

Last edited:
To hotlink a photo to your post.
1. First get and copy the URL of your photo.
2. Click on the yellow icon that says "insert image" when you move your mouse over it. Paste the url and click ok.
what you will see is this [ IMG]http://www.websitewhereyourimagereside.com/yourimage.jpg[ /IMG]

I second what Shen siung said with just a few additions. For the image to work here. Your silhouette has to be of something interesting or of some nice geometry.

To hotlink a photo to your post.
1. First get and copy the URL of your photo.
2. Click on the yellow icon that says "insert image" when you move your mouse over it. Paste the url and click ok.
what you will see is this [ IMG]http://www.websitewhereyourimagereside.com/yourimage.jpg[ /IMG]

I second what Shen siung said with just a few additions. For the image to work here. Your silhouette has to be of something interesting or of some nice geometry.

i did that two steps you said, at first it showed up on the preview post, but then later after the admin approved the thread, its just gone.. dunno why,.

thanks for ur comments :)

hmm actually the sunrise came from that side, and actually i cant move much, its hills and slope everywhere :(
thanks for commenting :)

i'm sure there is an alternative vantage point.

i don't think ansel adams got any of his photographs by saying that "i can't move much, it's hills and slopes everywhere"

of course, safety first, but sometimes, to get a good view, you have to move your butt.

Colours are nice, but the composition is not. Try again with a more interesting subject

I would crop away the bottom portion of land, leaving slightly more space for the skylines as that is what you are trying to portray.

But don't crop too much as i feel the little distant hills at the left side can reflect an image of "height", which is good for this photo.

Just my two cents worth, love the colors of the skyline. Great moment! Contrary to other users, i think that this can be an interesting composition if you do the correct cropping.

Also to add on, if i were to take this shot, and if space is given, i would walk towards the right, so that the two orange lines appears to stem out from the protruding hill. I am a person who is very inclined to symmetry. :D

whoops. maybe i clicked the wrong one..
thanks!

i'm sure there is an alternative vantage point.

i don't think ansel adams got any of his photographs by saying that "i can't move much, it's hills and slopes everywhere"

of course, safety first, but sometimes, to get a good view, you have to move your butt.

to let you know, the hills and slopes on every safe land to step is like 45 degrees inclination.. and i have Rheumatic Athritis :( (its 5 degrees celcius, at that time, i felt my joints in pain..)
thanks for commenting! :)

I would crop away the bottom portion of land, leaving slightly more space for the skylines as that is what you are trying to portray.

But don't crop too much as i feel the little distant hills at the left side can reflect an image of "height", which is good for this photo.

Just my two cents worth, love the colors of the skyline. Great moment! Contrary to other users, i think that this can be an interesting composition if you do the correct cropping.
will try.. :)

Colours are nice, but the composition is not. Try again with a more interesting subject
i won't go back up there again.. haha it's frustating and a very long way to go :(