Newbie in search of Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

bent

Dec 23, 2004
Hi all, i am really new to digital photography, don't know anything about the jargon used like aperture, focal length etc...

But i would like to get my first digital camera. I am more a point and shoot kind and i am hoping to take nice pictures when i go overseas at the end of the year.

Currrently, i may be deciding between the Casio Exilim EX Z40 and the Sony Cybershot DSC 40

Anyone can give comments on which is better?

I heard that the Casio's image quality is not so good?

thanks..

Casio is good at telling the date & time of the day :bsmilie:
bent said:
Hi all, i am really new to digital photography, don't know anything about the jargon used like aperture, focal length etc...

But i would like to get my first digital camera. I am more a point and shoot kind and i am hoping to take nice pictures when i go overseas at the end of the year.

Currrently, i may be deciding between the Casio Exilim EX Z40 and the Sony Cybershot DSC 40

Anyone can give comments on which is better?

I heard that the Casio's image quality is not so good?

thanks..

I would go for Sony. Otherwise you can go for fuji F10....well-reviewed compact P&S.

can i recommend canon A95? if i can change your mind.. it is a little beast with good manual features.. even if u dun to use manual.. can always use the auto mode..

The two that you mention I have not tried it yet.. but just recommending because i am a happy user of the a95

thanks all for your suggestions...i am looking for one with 4 MP, 3x optical zoom and preferably slim ones..like the Casio..any other recommendations? I don't really like the Canon A95 as it is too bulky...

preferably something that comes with image stabiliser too if possible...

in that case, seacrh is over
Pentax Optio S 4MP
below $500 for sure.
slightly bigger than credit card size. 2cm thick.

hmm...thanks...

just wondering which cameras come with image stabilisers...and is bigger LCD screen better becoz it helps to frame shots better?

Get Fujifilm FinePix Z1 - Small are the way to go travelling.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05020803fuji_finepixz1.asp
1026-Z1.jpg

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/camera/review/34/page_1.html

bent said:
thanks all for your suggestions...i am looking for one with 4 MP, 3x optical zoom and preferably slim ones..like the Casio..any other recommendations? I don't really like the Canon A95 as it is too bulky...

preferably something that comes with image stabiliser too if possible...

Panasonic DMC-LZ1 or DMC-LZ2

6x optical zoom and comes with OIS...
DMC-LZ1 - 4MP
DMC-LZ2 - 5MP

Runs on AA batt
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasoniclz2/

bent said:
hmm...thanks...

just wondering which cameras come with image stabilisers...and is bigger LCD screen better becoz it helps to frame shots better?

Panasonic LZ-1 or Panasonic LS-1. Both are 4mp cams. The LZ-1 has a 2 inch LCD and both have image stabilisers.

Cheers..

Forgot to add: Both under $500.00

just wanna askl is it actually cheaper to buy such new cameras in the US? Coz when convert to local currency, it seems much cheaper...just that no warranty only iguess...

do consider any cam w/ Image Stabilizer if u r not that kinda person who lugs a tripod. its especially usefulin dim lighting, i can even get clear nite shots w/ my sis's Panasonic FZ20!

Panasonic, Canon, Konica-Minolta, & some other brand has such models.

sORe-EyEz said:
do consider any cam w/ Image Stabilizer if u r not that kinda person who lugs a tripod. its especially usefulin dim lighting, i can even get clear nite shots w/ my sis's Panasonic FZ20!

Panasonic, Canon, Konica-Minolta, & some other brand has such models.

Which are the models with image stabiliser that you would recommend ? eg, from Canon, Panasonic, Mikon ?

silverspectrum said:
Which are the models with image stabiliser that you would recommend ? eg, from Canon, Panasonic, Mikon ?
think panasonic lumix is good..

i'll place my best bet on Panasonic LZ-2!

from Bent's point-of-view, he'll prefer a compact, capable digicam.

LZ-2's got 6x opical zoom, image stabilizer, relatively compact body.
seems to me few camera offer such bountiful merits at its price!

might like to check out www.dpreview.com on its product review...

sORe-EyEz said:
i'll place my best bet on Panasonic LZ-2!

from Bent's point-of-view, he'll prefer a compact, capable digicam.

LZ-2's got 6x opical zoom, image stabilizer, relatively compact body.
seems to me few camera offer such bountiful merits at its price!

might like to check out www.dpreview.com on its product review...
i think i would settle for the Panasonic Lumix FX 8. Seems good and rather cheap to me...

whichever u choose, just make sure tat e camera tat u r buying, feels comfortable and u can afford to upgrade.. my take is tat even though slim is good, the technology inside it is not as great. try looking at nikon coolpix and canon powershot or eos range..

Status
Not open for further replies.