Newbie in Photography; please help:)

lumwanru

Nov 12, 2008
Hey peeps, new in photography and CS. Currently have the intention to get a second hand DSLR, probably just a basic one. I am quite tight on budget, any suggestions as to which model to get? Feel free to comment:) Thanks alot.

Just check thru to the B & S section, and determine your budget; I believe you should manage to get your favorites gear.

By the way, welcome to CS..;)

Hey peeps, new in photography and CS. Currently have the intention to get a second hand DSLR, probably just a basic one. I am quite tight on budget, any suggestions as to which model to get? Feel free to comment:) Thanks alot.

hiyah i think some seniors will come in n bang u for asking this qn n giving vague statements like "quite tight budget"

anyways, it'd help to state ur budget clearer u talking abt the range of $500? $600? $800? $1000?

u'd be getting loads of suggestions. but if considering low budget, it seems Sony DSLR is offering more bang for bucks. my suggestion is to check up the various websites from Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, etc, n narrow down ur options for urself then ask more for suggestions.

without a number for your budget, i guess will be hard for anyone to advise you...

thanks everyone for your comments! my budget is around S$500-S$600. i would prefer canon or nikon actually.

For Nikon, D40.
For Canon, 400D or 450D.
Search for some reviews...

budget? We are not your financial planner, so we have absolutely no idea what to recommend you.

for these models, can i get them from $500-$600? I was looking at nikon d3000..

Nikon D40 with 18-55mm should cost < $450.
Not sure about Canon models.
For 2nd hand DSLR, try to get one with low shutter count of the camera body.
Preferably < 10k. It is determining the life span on the no. of photos which can be taken by the camera before the shutter failed.
D40/D3000 should be estimated ard 50k range.
U can download freewares such as Opanda IExif to determine the shutter count from the photo taken with the camera.

for these models, can i get them from $500-$600? I was looking at nikon d3000..

500-600 budget. If you are thinking of a camera with kit lens, your options are quite limited:

Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D40, D40x, D60 (D40x and D60 are almost the same as D3000, just that D3000 has more AF points)

Canon 1000D, 350D, 400D (barely)

Sony A230, A100.

Pentax K100D

If I am you, I will top up around $100+ more and get a new Pentax K-x with kit lens.

Last edited:
You may want to check out this guy here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735686

He is selling Nikon D40x for $420 without lens and another $300 for Nikon AF-S 18-105mm f3.5-5.6

D40x body for 420 is on the high side.

I sold my D40x with kit lens with many extras and very low shutter count (2k+) for 550 only, a year ago.

500-600 budget. If you are thinking of a camera with kit lens, your options are quite limited:

Nikon D70, D70s, D50, D40, D40x, D60 (D40x and D60 are almost the same as D3000, just that D3000 has more AF points)

Sony A230, A100.

Pentax K100D

If I am you, I will top up around $100+ more and get a new Pentax K-x with kit lens.

Hello there! is the pentax kit good? I dont know how to gauge that..

Hello there! is the pentax kit good? I dont know how to gauge that..

Pentax K-x is very very good for the price. It's IQ and high ISO performance can rival some of the mid level cameras from other brands. The sensor inside is the same sony made sensor found in models like Nikon D90, D300s, and Sony A500.

Bang for the buck man.

Pentax K-x is very very good for the price. It's IQ and high ISO performance can rival some of the mid level cameras from other brands. The sensor inside is the same sony made sensor found in models like Nikon D90, D300s, and Sony A500.

Bang for the buck man.

If i prefer canon and nikon, which specific model wld you suggest? Or actually they are about the same ya?

If i prefer canon and nikon, which specific model wld you suggest? Or actually they are about the same ya?

About the same of course. Just that the prices for similarly featured models from Nikon and Canon are quite a bit higher than Pentax K-x. It is up to you actually. I use Nikon myself. But that is just because I have access to a lot of Nikon lenses.

So to match a Pentax K-x, you probably have to pay around $300 more for a Nikon D5000, or $700 more for a D90.

For your budget of 500-600, you can probably manage a used D60 or a high shutter count D3000. And the D60 or D3000 performance is nowhere close to a Pentax K-x. Your call.

Last edited:

Sony A230, A100.

Pentax K100D

500-600 budget would already get you an A350 with the supplied kit lens. it is a 14mp DSLR with the tilt-able lcd screen. the a100 is very old and normally would cost less than 400 with a kit lens while the a230 would cost no more than 450. the re-sale value of sony is way different compare to nikon or canon camera as to why, i really dont.
i saw a very good condition canon 350 with VG (but without lens for $380.00) but the drawback if you are a newbie is you might consider an 8mp might not be to your liking..

to sum it up.. if you are a newbie into DSLR world and in a tight budget you might want to consider sony alphas as their menus tend to be more newbie friendly (+good live view and steady shot built-in to the cam) and are far cheaper than their canon/nikon counterparts.