newbie in DSLR and would like to start a new hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandste

Jan 8, 2009
hi guys, i would like to know what is the cheapest DSLR that i can get, second hand ones i dont minds, as i also have my budget limitations. would like to start a new hobby. most of the times i always use P&S cameras... would like to learn how to produce better photos with manual settings...

can i know:

- the cheapest second hand but good DSLR,
- what lens should i get for a newbie,
- and how much is the total price, roughly?

would like to thank you all in advance for helping me :)

Canon 40D comes to mind if you are beginner with decent budget. Its has such an array of features that it could stay all the way throughout your hobby (and maybe make a few dollars off it part time.)

u can probably get a decent 3-4 year old dslr with kit lens for under 500 bucks

d70/d70s/300d/350d/10d/20d/e300/e330/e500/e1(?) and the list goes on and on and on ...

Instead of asking what is the total price, you should ask yourself, "what is my budget?" and then narrow down the possible choices from your budget.

my budget is at top $500 bux :)

i see people posting their 40D for 1k plus :(

guys, can u help me scoot some threads for me? i try to find myself, but i keep looking at google everytime i see the model number, u all so pro already, at least can help me scoot which one good and cheap from the personal classified section... i blur blur @.@ and the seller... hope they are trustworthy...

guys, can u help me scoot some threads for me? i try to find myself, but i keep looking at google everytime i see the model number, u all so pro already, at least can help me scoot which one good and cheap from the personal classified section... i blur blur @.@ and the seller... hope they are trustworthy...

You better do MORE homework first... else you'd be easily confused and make mistakes...

You better do MORE homework first... else you'd be easily confused and make mistakes...

i see... actually im quite concerned about the budget...

- the cheapest second hand but good DSLR,
- what lens should i get for a newbie,
- and how much is the total price, roughly?

oh dear, there have been so many dslrs, i think it is possible to get stuff like all the antique dslrs for cheap cheap price, but i do not think it is practical.

i say, work out what brand you wnat to buy into, that is the most important, find a budget, work your way from there.

newbie can get any lens, doesn't mean new means only can use cheap lens, or being new must use certain type of lens. all lenses can be useful, the sooner you acknowledge that, the easier it will be for you to understand what this is all about. the main thing is, some lenses are more useful for YOU, and YOU alone than others. everyone's needs are different.

i see... actually im quite concerned about the budget...

As budget is your concern, maybe u wanna look at a second hand D40. If I'm not wrong, shld cost ard $400-600.

Start out small from there and enjoy the shooting process.

:)

As budget is your concern, maybe u wanna look at a second hand D40. If I'm not wrong, shld cost ard $400-600.

Start out small from there and enjoy the shooting process.

:)

i got an offer of:

nikon d40x
bundle with nikkor lens 18-55mm II

around 1 year old

$580

good hoot?

honestly...$500 not enough for a slr system because still need accessories to think about like dry box and memory cards and etc.

if all you need is to learn manual functions, why not get a bridge camera instead? Or go for compacts with manual dial like the LZ8 which went below $170.

honestly...$500 not enough for a slr system because still need accessories to think about like dry box and memory cards and etc.

if all you need is to learn manual functions, why not get a bridge camera instead? Or go for compacts with manual dial like the LZ8 which went below $170.

what is a drybox for?

there is one cheap cheap 4 yrs old canon 300D which have a price of 380...

is it good to start with?

Hello...welcome.

As someone has mentioned, better to do your homework first before getting any cam. Getting a DSLR is easy, but do factor in the other stuff like lens, filters and dry cabinet which helps to store your cam & lenses to prevent fungus.

how does a dry cabinet look like?

Like a wine fridge, basically.
It's just a cabinet with a device at the back for removing moisture from the air inside, keeping it nice and dry so that fungus and mould won't grow easily.
Comes in a variety of sizes, depending on how much camera gear you think you'll have eventually.

A bit tough to recommend you a DSLR without introducing some sort of bias.
I tell you now honestly that I'm a Nikon user, so I'm more inclined towards their products.
I find the D40 to be quite a capable entry-level DSLR.
It's already obsolete, though you might be able to find it 2nd hand.
For me, I like a decent-sized LCD screen, so the D40's 2.5 inch one is quite attractive.

These are some of the things you have to consider when searching for a DSLR.
If you buy 2nd hand cheap-cheap, probably you can consider it a learning tool. Then sell it off for a small loss when you realize what you want.
The alternative is to borrow from friends/relatives to get a feel, or follow them on photography outings to 'play-play' and get a feel.

what is a drybox for?

there is one cheap cheap 4 yrs old canon 300D which have a price of 380...

is it good to start with?

if u are buying second hand, its better to invest on a dry cabinet rather then dry box. cos there might already be some fungus in the cam (see how the previous owner takes care of the camera).

anyway when time comes to buy a brand new DSLR for yourself, u can still use back the dry cabinet.

Its good to get a dry cabinet. Ease the storage of ur DSLR. Also to prevent your lens from getting fungus.

This cost ard 100+ for a 30 litre model.

how does a dry cabinet look like?

Have a look here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481380
In addition, please browse through all the subforums. They have a certain structure and most important: there are always sticky threads on top. Sticky they are because value they have - in terms of important information and answers to Frequently Asked Questions like yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.