Newbie in Adobe CS2...Original or Fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfstan

May 31, 2005
Earth
Hi all, decided to get a copy of the adobe cs2 for my photo editing. i think the original price is about $1K and i heard of student price as well but dunno how much is that. anyone to advise?

seriously, how many ppl using the original when fake only cost so little. anyone who can't comment openly, do pm as I would love to hear from you before i splurge on the software. dun worry i'm not undercover cop or something. just want to hear your side of stories and experience. this would definitely help me to decide. thanks

appreciate any honest and open comments..

Well since I am a freelance designer I have to use original. The issue I have with Adobe is that because I got the whole CS bundle(standard set, with Illustrator, Indesign and PS) and my camera is NOT supported by the latest CS RAW plug-in(ver 2.4 is the latest for CS), I need to upgrade to PS CS2. However, Adobe does NOT allow me to upgrade just PS CS alone, which means another 4 figures down the drain, something I am not prepared to do.

I therefore use Graphic Converter ver 5.8 for Mac(shareware, US$30) to open my RAW files, save as a TIF then open them in PS CS to edit if need be. Sure it's not as straightforward but until I absolutely have to upgrade to CS2, I see no need to give 1k plus to Adobe.

On your question, I'd say no matter what, PS CS is THE standard image manipulation software and it's worth the money you invest in it. Just make sure your camera is supported in the RAW plug-in. You can find out more at Adobe's website, www.adobe.com

Get the original...

Expensive? but it is one of the most powerful image editing software available.

Hart

I doubt anyone use a pirated version will admit it here on the forum.

It is such an integral part of my photography, I got the real mccoy. Wonder anyone will use a fake lens? :)

I know, I know, that software is difference, but you never know.

Deadpoet said:
I doubt anyone use a pirated version will admit it here on the forum.

It is such an integral part of my photography, I got the real mccoy. Wonder anyone will use a fake lens? :)

I know, I know, that software is difference, but you never know.

Yep I concur but I see no difference between software and lenses as their all part of this often ignored term, intellectual property.

I guess many of us being craftsmen and artists, tend to have a better understanding of that term so yea, if you don't like people to rip you off, don't do it too.

dfstan said:
Hi all, decided to get a copy of the adobe cs2 for my photo editing. i think the original price is about $1K and i heard of student price as well but dunno how much is that. anyone to advise?

seriously, how many ppl using the original when fake only cost so little. anyone who can't comment openly, do pm as I would love to hear from you before i splurge on the software. dun worry i'm not undercover cop or something. just want to hear your side of stories and experience. this would definitely help me to decide. thanks

appreciate any honest and open comments..
Academic price is about $450 or thereabout but you cannot use it for commercial purposes, which means you cannot do freelance jobs with it.

I am not that rich and I don't do photo editing for a living, so I use GIMP instead. It's free but definitely good enough for me. I tried Ulead PhotoImpact Trial and Photoshop Elements 3.0 Trial before, I thought if I want to pay it will be CS2, otherwise I'll just stick to GIMP. I'll probably try the Photoshop Elements 4.0 Trial when I have the time to download it, it's about 350Mb which is larger than Photoshop CS2 trial, can you believe it?! But I guess I will buy Photoshop CS2 if I ever need it.

Talking about using fake lens, I think a better analogy would be like buying a real lens from someone who stole it. There will be no warantee, and if you ask for tech support, you would be asking for it. If you know it's stolen property, then you're in the wrong. If you didn't know you've bought stolen property, then you've been conned. But if you know you have bought something at a price that is too good to be true, something is fishy. Supporting piracy is like supporting thieves, supporting theft. What should happen to thieves who get caught? They go to jail!

Think about it. If you want to use cheap/free software, support open source freeware!

Deadpoet said:
alot of ppl will if its exactly the same as the real thing while retailing for $12

seriously,

who here uses original CS2? you wil not get many replies.

how to do blah and blah in CS2? you will get much more replies.

That is the rough estimation you can get for how many people use pirate software.

I personally think most people cannot walk the talk. Many CSers are very passionate about copyrights of photos, etc. But what are their attitude to using pirate software?? :dunno:

The student version was like $480 which I think is worth the price. I use the student version although I am not a student but my wife was when we bought it :) I don't use it commercially so I guess it is ok.

roti_prata said:
alot of ppl will if its exactly the same as the real thing while retailing for $12

If Photoshop retails for $12, do you think there would be any incentive for Adobe to even release PS1? You expects Adobe to be a charity?

if can't afford den buy PS elements lor... if too rich den donate to me... ;p

anyway, i'll see which software is worth the investments then i buy... recent offer is buy turbocad for 99.99 USD, den pay shipping via UPS is about 140 in total, SGD dunno how much yet, but definitely cheaper than Autocad. If only adobe give this type of promo once in a while, den it encourages ppl to splurge...

dfstan said:

I think it is pretty clear what the only ethical answer is. That a significant part of the population only cares about ethics when it suits them doesn't change that.

roti_prata said:
There already is a software cheaper than $12 which has functions like PS7.0. It's called GIMP and it's FREE under GNU licence. If you need to process RAW files, you can use UFRaw plugin which is also free under GNU licence.

+evenstar said:
Real and fake CDs, they contain the same data. The only difference is that you don't get a unique serial code for pirated CDs.

Student's price is around $500 IIRC..
Yes, and that's also exactly why it's theft, because the company doesn't get a cent for any pirated copy sold.

However, there are also conspiracy theories that it is the company themselved who sold the software to pirates in order to increase the user base. If someone uses a particular software for home purposes, it is more likely that he/she will want to use back the same software for work.

Status
Not open for further replies.