Newbie in action

etherealz

Dec 15, 2010
Hi all, i got a pentax kr with single kit. Sorry for the newbie question that i am going to ask. I always do shooting on kids indoor and outdoor. When i use aperture priority, the image that came out will be blur basically i can't see the kids. I am using ISO 1600 or 3200, aperture at 4.0. Can someone enlighten me what settings should i put to get those clear image with nice bokeh. The reason i wanted to use ap priority so that i can get clear image with some bokeh at the backgroud.

Hi all, i got a pentax kr with single kit. Sorry for the newbie question that i am going to ask. I always do shooting on kids indoor and outdoor. When i use aperture priority, the image that came out will be blur basically i can't see the kids. I am using ISO 1600 or 3200, aperture at 4.0. Can someone enlighten me what settings should i put to get those clear image with nice bokeh. The reason i wanted to use ap priority so that i can get clear image with some bokeh at the backgroud.

your shutter speed is too slow for the motion to be captured correctly - likely.

since i don't have any info on your image to draw basis out.

might be the result of a few things. was the kid running? what was ur focus point? if the kids are not in the same plane, it's hard to get all of em clear with large aperture.
maybe can put up an example of the pic u took so others can tell what's wrong.

You could help us help you by providing us with some example pics and their exif info.

For dim lighting indoors, it could just be slow shutter speed leading to motion blur + handshake blur, maybe even with some out-of-focus blur thrown in. Check the shutter speed used for those pics and see if they're too slow. Here're some rough guidelines: http://www.passingimage.com/clients/pc_class/Motion_Blur.pdf. You can try using shutter priority, but you may have to let your iso go above 3200 and f# smaller than f4.

Anyway, we can't give good advice without seeing what went wrong.

You can try the below, hope they help.

Auto focus mode, AFC instead of AFA or AFS.
Use a standard focus point for easier tracking.
Find a brighter area, use/play with available light around.

Thanks guys. I just tried and now im able to capture clear image with running kids, i believe my shutter was too slow. There is no way u can adjust your shutter spd when u are in ap mode right? The shutter speed chart really helps. Thanks Gengh.

I usually use AP mode too. You can't adjust the shutter speed directly but I do that by opening up the aperture and pushing up the ISO. The camera will then adjust the shutter speed automatically until one that you feel comfortable.

I usually use AP mode too. You can't adjust the shutter speed directly but I do that by opening up the aperture and pushing up the ISO. The camera will then adjust the shutter speed automatically until one that you feel comfortable.

AV you mean ?

Thanks guys. I just tried and now im able to capture clear image with running kids, i believe my shutter was too slow. There is no way u can adjust your shutter spd when u are in ap mode right? The shutter speed chart really helps. Thanks Gengh.

that is the purpose thus why you are in AV mode.

if you need to set them both, you will need to switch it to M mode.

adjusting both of them too high or low - you might need to adjust your ISO.