Newbie here.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peihao83

Jan 13, 2010
Serangoon north
Good day to all,

I'm a newbie here..

Intending to buy a nikon digital SLR camera. Have some models in mind, but not sure which to choose and how to choose.. Planing to purchase one at the coming next IT show. Or someone else can recommend a shop selling at a cheaper price.

- D3000
- D5000
- D90

pls kindly advise...

Thanks.. Regards..

Hi Welcome to CS.

I think most likely people here would recommend you to get your cam from shops instead of the IT shows.
You might get better or cheaper offers out there. You can take your own sweet time to choose what you want, feel what you want. then finally decide to get what you one.

As for IT Show, i think you need to at least know what you have in mind to buy, know what freebies/offer that shop is offering. Is like everything is in a rush.
Take it for e.g, the sales/promoter serving you, will do his/her best to close every deal fast. So that he/she can grab the next potential deal. So rush.
In the end, you might not get the best offer. Worse, you might not get what you really wants.

As for which shop has the best offer, I'm not sure as got mine from a fellow CSer.
Perhaps you can take a look at the price guide in forum 1st.
Below is the link for Nikon Price list. (Since the 3 models you;ve shortlisted in a nikon models)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5764470#post5764470

Good Luck~!

Intending to buy a nikon digital SLR camera. Have some models in mind, but not sure which to choose and how to choose.. Planing to purchase one at the coming next IT show. Or someone else can recommend a shop selling at a cheaper price.

Please focus on getting what you need instead of running up and down to save a few bucks. Go to some shops and showrooms, try hands-on what model you like more. Ergonomics is important. Next, check the features, see what you really need and what is just gimmick. All cameras are able to produce good images - the question of "which is better" in this regard is really irrelevant.
Avoid IT shows, they are only there to sellpackages with supposedly attractive freebies. But: nobody would give away good stuff for free, right? Not that they are rubbish .. but let's say 'limited value'. Save that, get the camera from a good shop and then get what else is needed step by step whenever you know exactly what you need. Don't buy just because somebody recommends.. or others also have.

between those 3..

D90 ftw! :D

Good day to all,

I'm a newbie here..

- D3000
- D5000
- D90

pls kindly advise...

Thanks.. Regards..

I classify d3k and d5k as entry level beginner cams (d3k has guide mode, d5k has scene modes) but the d5k is the more powerful of the two in terms of picture quality, in fact picture quality is the same with d90
d90 is a more serious cam (more controls and shortcut buttons for faster shooting, added features like built in motor to autofocus some lens that will not autofocus on d3k or d5k, commander mode to trigger separate external flash via IR)

so how do you see yourself in the long run? if you just see yourself being casual shooter who just wants slr like quality pictures, d3k or d5k should be enough, if you have the budget get the d5k, if not then d3k..

you might want to look at other brands if you are not brand conscious..based from posts from cs'ers, currently the pentax k-x is giving the most bang for the buck given its features..

also I recommend that you buy from SLR revolution shop in funan based from personal experience, excellent customer service, new stocks and usually offers the lowest quotation

Last edited:
Welcome to CS :) Do your homework 1st. Don't rush ;)

Hello, peihao83. Just to say a warm welcome to you.
Which Nikon model to buy, I will leave it to our experienced Nikon brothers to advise you.

Welcome to CS !
Why limit to these 3 camera models ?
Had u try them before at any shop ?
As these are quite entry level models, u should have no problem trying at those mega stores like courts & harvey norman, w/ less pressure from those salesman to buy..

Status
Not open for further replies.