Newbie here~

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1808

Nov 22, 2008
West
Hi all, after reading lots of threads posted here, I decided to join this forum :) everyone is so helpful in answer questions especially with newbie like us.

Before I ready to start again taking photos, I like to share my personal "unclear" doubts and hope all can give me advise.

I owned 2 SLR camera but was not fully using it (instead of, I rely more on the auto function) understand that auto function medthod I cant really get to take photos with effects which I can get by manual setting like the aperture/speed. example, blur the background, freeze motion etc.

Problem I faced now is, I am not clear about aperture and speed setting, or even i tried before to shoot fews photos using different setting, after develope the film, I cant remember which photo is using which setting. Sorry about that maybe i not a good learner but i really want to learn something.

I intend to buy a DSLR d90 to begin my new photo shooting again, is it be better to use a DSLR rather then a SLR camera? Am I right that a DSLR camera comes with the same normal digital camera with a LCD display which I can view instanly once I press the shuter and also I can understand on spot whelther the photo i just took is actually the result that I want it to be (whelther I had choosed the right apeture/speed/explosure) right? If is right, then isnt it a great function for a beginner to justifty and learn fast from it and minimize mistakes on photo taking?

I know I still got long way to go on learning and getting the experience in photo shooting. And I hope I can improve alots on that.

Lastly sorry if I had asked usless or wrong question, but asking more questions can help to to understanding more on photo shooting and ofcourse gain more knowledge.

Hi all, after reading lots of threads posted here, I decided to join this forum :) everyone is so helpful in answer questions especially with newbie like us.

Before I ready to start again taking photos, I like to share my personal "unclear" doubts and hope all can give me advise.

I owned 2 SLR camera but was not fully using it (instead of, I rely more on the auto function) understand that auto function medthod I cant really get to take photos with effects which I can get by manual setting like the aperture/speed. example, blur the background, freeze motion etc.

Problem I faced now is, I am not clear about aperture and speed setting, or even i tried before to shoot fews photos using different setting, after develope the film, I cant remember which photo is using which setting. Sorry about that maybe i not a good learner but i really want to learn something.

I intend to buy a DSLR d90 to begin my new photo shooting again, is it be better to use a DSLR rather then a SLR camera? Am I right that a DSLR camera comes with the same normal digital camera with a LCD display which I can view instanly once I press the shuter and also I can understand on spot whelther the photo i just took is actually the result that I want it to be (whelther I had choosed the right apeture/speed/explosure) right? If is right, then isnt it a great function for a beginner to justifty and learn fast from it and minimize mistakes on photo taking?

I know I still got long way to go on learning and getting the experience in photo shooting. And I hope I can improve alots on that.

Lastly sorry if I had asked usless or wrong question, but asking more questions can help to to understanding more on photo shooting and ofcourse gain more knowledge.

Heyas! Welcome to CS!! IMHO i think using a DSLR helps alot since the learning curve is alot less steeper than film. Like you mentioned, you probably can't remember what settings you shot that particular shot with when its developed. Using a DSLR, you can view your photos right after its taken and also the settings by which it was shot at will be reflected. Although I must say what you see on the LCD is not always what you get on computer/print because of calibration. But another neat feature of DSLR is the histograms so you could do a quick check too!

Nah don't worry, no question is too stupid. Take your time to read information from the forum and use the search function since most of the time what you might wanna find out has already be discussed before! For starters, do read this thread by bro sulhan:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

Is the very first photography article I read about and it helped started my journey into photography. Enjoy! ;)

Thanks Deming86, appreciate on that link provided :)

Its a really good articles for me to read and understand more ^ ^

Argh~ I dont know if I can wait till the SITEX show to get d90 haha, 1 more week :)

Again, the d90 kits come with the 18-105mm lens why many ppl want to sell it away? Btw, I had fews lens but not sure whelther can it be mount on the d90, should I bring along to the SITEX show and request for a try to mount on it before I buy?

Basically i bought lots of accessories few years back (haha some, I really dont know I bought for what > . <), not really use it (I know I am just wasting alots of money ;p , so now I want to fully use them) That's why I got ALOTS of things to learn and figure out ;p

- 2 SLR F401x & F90X (long time never touch.....still in good condition)

- lens
28mm - 200mm (Tokina)
28-70mm AT-X PRo (Tokina)
100mm AT-X 1: 2.8 AF 100 MARCO (Tokina)

- FlashLight - SB-28 (Nikon)

- Filters

- Dry cabinet

- I had SD cards (thats for my PSP use - 8GB can it use in D90?)

Last edited:
Welcome to CS.

The first thing is to understand what a change in aperture and shutter speed will do to image and the relationship between the 2 and also the effect of ISO on exposure. The concept of ISO is new to dSLR as this can be change for each photo whereas previously most people do not even know there is an ISO value for the film.

Once you can understand these, then the more difficult thing will be composition. Currently I am in this stage and still having a lot to learn by following critique corner and also the gallery.

Like most of CSers here say, most important thing is to enjoy photography - after all this is a non-exam-able subject :bsmilie:

Hi and welcome,

Purist might encourage one to stick to film because "it forces one to take each shot more seriously", I tend to disagree.

Digital slr provides immediate feedback and reduces the learning curve, so if you are keen to learn, you can pick up the basic techniques much faster. With regards to the previous post, there is actually an ISO rating for film, but changing ISO means to change the whole roll of film.

For the idea of Sitex, seldom do you find really good deals there, more often than not, cheap freebies are thrown in to beef up the package. You are better off shopping at the reputable camera shops and customise the package based on your needs.

Feel free to post your photos, if you can take criticisms on your early efforts, you will see rapid improvements.

Last edited:
HI two2000, thanks for the advise :) Agreed with that "non-exam-able subject " and I will enjoy myself in photo shooting ^ ^

hello ahbian,

hmm....if there's no different in price to get it in SITEX, maybe I can shops tomorrow and get the camera. haha.

Thank you tanandrew ^ ^ hi to you too.

Btw, if I to go down tomorrow to buy d90, Can / should I bring alone my lens to make sure it can it be mount on the d90 request for a try to mount on it before I buy?

Btw, if I to go down tomorrow to buy d90, Can / should I bring alone my lens to make sure it can it be mount on the d90 request for a try to mount on it before I buy?

Yes. and make sure you test extensively. Be sure this is what you want.

Thanks Rashkae.

Status
Not open for further replies.