Newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

phazlee

Oct 22, 2007
Hi all,

I so called got myself embroiled in photography because I am required to do some product photography for a website that I am creating. The product is some jewelry products.

Currently I have with me a Nikon D70 with the standard lens. I need advice on the lens that I require to get good product photographs of jewelry pieces. Price is a big factor but so is the quality and sharpness of the pictures that are taken.

So what I hope you guys can help me with is some advice on which lens should I get, lighting and maybe if the D70 is not cut out for this kind of stuff any suggestion on a better model?

Thanks

I would suggest a dedicated macro lens.

Welcome to CS phazlee.

Like what bro Rashkae said a dedicated Macro lens should do the trick. Of course if you have some studio lights (strobes) will be better. A light box will help too.

A good macro lens will be good but u will also need some studio lighting n maybe a piece of white back ground paper n some white acrylic sheets to control e amount of light n shadow on e jewellery. E shadows n contrast r very important n u might spend some time getting it right. My ex boss was rathe particular about it thus i learned alot from him. He is a real pro at shooting watches, jewellery n other metallic surfaces as he had such a great eye for detail.

a 60mm macro would be your best bet. ;)

A good macro lens will be good but u will also need some studio lighting n maybe a piece of white back ground paper n some white acrylic sheets to control e amount of light n shadow on e jewellery. E shadows n contrast r very important n u might spend some time getting it right. My ex boss was rathe particular about it thus i learned alot from him. He is a real pro at shooting watches, jewellery n other metallic surfaces as he had such a great eye for detail.

Hi there, i am a newbie and recently bought my NIKON D80 with Tamron 90mm Macro lens, however if I set my camera to Apperture priority, I can not adjust the settings of Apperture to f2.8, the minimum i can set is f3.2...is there any problem with my lens or camera? can you give me some advice on how to adjust the apperture to f2.8? thanks a lot..

Hi there, i am a newbie and recently bought my NIKON D80 with Tamron 90mm Macro lens, however if I set my camera to Apperture priority, I can not adjust the settings of Apperture to f2.8, the minimum i can set is f3.2...is there any problem with my lens or camera? can you give me some advice on how to adjust the apperture to f2.8? thanks a lot..

For almost all the macro lenses, they will stop down the aperture when you use it at a different focal distance. The closer you go to the subject, the smaller the maximum aperture.

It's normal, you get full f2.8 only at the longer focal distances... ;)

I think for small subjects a light tent will also make a lot of difference in controlling shadows.

For almost all the macro lenses, they will stop down the aperture when you use it at a different focal distance. The closer you go to the subject, the smaller the maximum aperture.

OK ..you mean if i am ONLY in longer focal distance then i can adjust my apperture to f2.8? i thought if i am in Apperture priority i can adjust to any apperture i want....please make it clear...:think:...anyway thanks a lot..

haha. each lens has its minimum aperture. so most prob your lens minimum is f3.2.

Peace

Eh? When i tested a tamron 90mm on my cam i had f/2.8 throughout.

haha. each lens has its minimum aperture. so most prob your lens minimum is f3.2.

Peace

My lens is a Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro lens...meaning it can go upto f2.8...but so far i dont know how to adjust upto f2.8..please give some advice..tnx a lot..

Shoot in Aperture Priority mode.

I am already at Apperture priority mode...but still i can only go downto f3.2....do i have to change any settings on my lens?

Maybe Nikon users can help on this, cos none of the Sony/KM users has this problem.

yeah hope they can help me and reply to this thread...i am not sure if i need to change some settings on my Tamron lens apperture ring or scale to be able to adjust to f2.8...

You can't get fulll f2.8 at macro distances...

With the Nikon bodies, the camera automatically detects when the lens is much further than the original 90mm and this length ratio to the aperture size causes the aperture value to drop from f2.8 to as low as f5.6 (if I'm not mistaken, dun have the lens with me right now to do test, will add on later when I'm at home to do a test with the lens.)

The aperture value is the ratio of the lens diameter to the focal length, and as the macro lenses often protrudes much further out when focusing at close range, this causes the aperture value to drop to a smaller one.

As for other cameras, they may not reflect the correct aperture value even at macro distances.

Do a check, focus at infinity, then adjust the aperture down to f2.8. Then focus closer using manual focusing, look at the aperture value change as you focus closer...

i am not sure why cant go down to f2.8 too....since it is a prime lens. Check if there is any macro switch function, if there is, try to bring it to the lowest aperture on both settings, see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.