Newbie here

missmonday

Nov 28, 2013
SINGAPORE
Dear folks,

I wanted to try out and take some pictures of my aquariums and fishes. Is there any DSLR can recommend for me?

Appreciate and thank you a lot. Please advise. :)

Any dSLR can accomplish that task. Or mirror less system. Or even a point & shoot.

Get a GoPro and you can even take pictures from inside the aquarium :)

Hi MissMonday. i don't miss mondays at all and i prefer to miss my bed at night and sleeping in on weekends :)

jokes aside, welcome!

if you are looking at good image quality, go for a mirrorless camera (if you prefer lighter cameras) and use a Polarizing filter on the lens :)

you don't need a DSLR for what you want to do.

Dear folks, I wanted to try out and take some pictures of my aquariums and fishes. Is there any DSLR can recommend for me? Appreciate and thank you a lot. Please advise. :)

Hi

Think u gotten 3 very good answers Liao.

The GoPro for the as close as u can get shoot and using Polarizing filters to minimize reflections from the aquarium glass.

There are even some higher end compacts that can get the job done :) for example there's a 'glass' scene mode in the DLux 6 that's good for shooting objects behind glass.

Sometimes as beginners we forget the lens we use also matters other than the body. Start with something within your budget and yes , kei1309's right , u don need a DSLR to start.

Hi n welcome bro, guess most compact n all dslr can shoot aquarium, I started shooting aquarium bout 5-6 years back,
From compact n my 2nd dslr, all can produce very got photos IF u practice it more, it's very different from shooting
Outdoor or indoor as it's very near to macro shoots, so compact cameras WITH MACRO MODE are really a good n easier way to start,
My shoots are usually for CORALS bout the size of 5mm or biggest are fishes bout 2-3cm, so normal lens will never get u
wat u wanna shoot if u start off with a dslr, u need macro lens or close up filters,
Pls note the lighting for aquarium is frustrating too, good luck for ur coming camera n pls feel free to pm n we can talk bout the aquarium shooting, cheers bro

Thanks all for the advice.

So getting a mirrorless camera will do?

EOS M KIT III, this one ok ? SITEX Canon got this model, furthermore do I still need to get a macro len even though I am using the Mirrorless Camera?

EOS M KIT III, this one ok ? SITEX Canon got this model, furthermore do I still need to get a macro len even though I am using the Mirrorless Camera?

forget the EOS M. you should look at the Olympus Pen series, or the Sony NEX.

other than being cute, it's not really that usable in the end.

Lol,cute, good 1,
Btw back to the subject of shooting if aquarium, any mirrorless or dslr will do, get close up filters to attach to ur lens btw if ur fish tank is on blue led, than u gonna have an even harder time shooting

Thanks all for the advice. So getting a mirrorless camera will do? EOS M KIT III, this one ok ? SITEX Canon got this model, furthermore do I still need to get a macro len even though I am using the Mirrorless Camera?

Noooooo !!!! Not the EOS M. It's really not good till that Amazon was letting it go at half price last night. And not the Nikon V1, J1 family too.

Any other Mirrorless from Olympus , Sony , Panasonic will do better than the EOS M.

Macro lens can come later , buy only when u need it. There are kit lenses like the 12-50mm with macro functions though not 1:1 but still really good for their price now.

Don't rush to buy , I've not bought from Sitex/Comex or whatever dex for ages since the shops at Funan generally will match or better the prices there.

Welcome and take your time to identify your camera. The fish tank will still be there.

Noooooo !!!! Not the EOS M. It's really not good till that Amazon was letting it go at half price last night. And not the Nikon V1, J1 family too.

Any other Mirrorless from Olympus , Sony , Panasonic will do better than the EOS M.

Macro lens can come later , buy only when u need it. There are kit lenses like the 12-50mm with macro functions though not 1:1 but still really good for their price now.

Don't rush to buy , I've not bought from Sitex/Comex or whatever dex for ages since the shops at Funan generally will match or better the prices there.

Wow, thanks bro for the advice. Ya I will not rush. Meanwhile will do more homework and read up before purchase.

Likely would like to try a DSLR with a basic lens to start off with. :)

Welcome and take your time to identify your camera. The fish tank will still be there.

Yeah noted bro. Hahaha the problem is I don't know which camera will suit me. That's the problem.

Btw for cameras, do you all recommend beginners to buy 1st or 2nd hand?

It's utterly useless to buy at SITEX or any similar expo.

And EOS M focuses really really slow.

Up to you and your budget. And if you feel confident you know how to inspect it.

You can get very good entry level brand new dslr cameras for <700 anyway.

if 2nd hand, get one still with warranty so u've peace of mind.

Erm, and pls do get a proper quote at shops for 1st hand prices, u'll be surprised some 2nd hand sets here are more expensive than brand new sets ;)

I wouldn't advise u on exactly what brand/ model to get. This is a process u should do yourself since u will definitely pick up knowledge along the way.

Settle on a few models and come back here and ask, the seniors here will then be able to give u an even clearer idea.

Black Friday sale... worth a look at the US sites.. b&h, adorama n Amazon..
Remb to factor gst in the consideration.. Happy shopping..

It's utterly useless to buy at SITEX or any similar expo.

And EOS M focuses really really slow.

Up to you and your budget. And if you feel confident you know how to inspect it.

You can get very good entry level brand new dslr cameras for <700 anyway.

if 2nd hand, get one still with warranty so u've peace of mind.

Erm, and pls do get a proper quote at shops for 1st hand prices, u'll be surprised some 2nd hand sets here are more expensive than brand new sets ;)

I wouldn't advise u on exactly what brand/ model to get. This is a process u should do yourself since u will definitely pick up knowledge along the way.

Settle on a few models and come back here and ask, the seniors here will then be able to give u an even clearer idea.

Black Friday sale... worth a look at the US sites.. b&h, adorama n Amazon..
Remb to factor gst in the consideration.. Happy shopping..

Seemed like EOS M like out alrdy... Actually I was thinking a Canon EOS 700.

Seemed like EOS M like out alrdy... Actually I was thinking a Canon EOS 700.

For the price of 700D, I would opt for 2nd hand 7D+tamron 17-50, a lot more better for accurate AF esp for ur tank shot