Newbie here with questions about FZ30

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcarlos

Dec 10, 2005
hey guys after watching the threads for a while i finally decided to log in. I've also decided to get the FZ30. It's simply amazing IMO and it fits my hands nicely.

However i'm torn. Where is the best place to get it? at the best price? so far i've checked with Cathay, AP and www.bargaincity.com.sg

I am very tempted with the free gifts they offer at bargaincity.....

What do you guys think?

Your comments and opinion matters a lot to me cos it's my FIRST big investment in cameras.. thanks!

Cheers!

not to spoil your mood, the fz30 has severe noise problem... even at iso100.

The word 'severe' is very subjective though. Unless u are printing A4 pics, i dun think it is that bad. Moreover, with neat image or ACR, noise can be removed to a large extent. Most of all, with OIS, i seldom need to up the iso above 80. (imagine able to take pics at 75+mm with shutter speeds of 1/10 without tripod) Unless u are comparing with dSLR, fz30 is a very good prosumer cam liao.

Got mine at AP @ 1060 with 512mb sd card. U could get it at 1030, but with 256mb card.

it depends... if u prefer to shoot outdoor, scenary, then this fz30 is very good. with the plus point of the ois, superb... but for indoor shooting in which u need higher iso, hmmm better not trying it. or else just use tripod or flash...

cheeshion said:

AGREE. It is severe enough that photos taken at ISO200 and above is bad to be viewed at 100% crop on the computer screen. :thumbsd:

michhy said:
AGREE. It is severe enough that photos taken at ISO200 and above is bad to be viewed at 100% crop on the computer screen. :thumbsd:

Well, it can't be worse than my old LC43 P&S camera right? ;p

if u prefer to pay in cash, then AP is the cheapest choice. however, if u decide to pay via installmentusing CC, then CP is best! anyway, they're abt $20 different

welcome to join the noise party.... hexlord. haha... anyway do post ur photos and let us see pls. cheers

hexlord! u finally got yours :bsmilie:

ok hexlord, mayb we will meet over there... cheers

I do not see an issue with high ISO if you have a decent tripod. Also with indoor shoots, unless you're using handheld and no OIS then expect to have noise, this is a limitation of digital cameras in that price range.

Personally I can live with low ISO since even with films, ISO400 provided a grainy image when printed at 8" X 10" so I have tested daylight shots at ISO100, no issues whatsoever with noise but yes, anything above that and images get noisy, which is why software like Noise Ninja come in useful.

i think almost everyone tries to shoot down panasonic by saying the noise is bad huh... :sweat:

Well to begin with, I think because we're still coming to terms with prosumers, and many people have this idea that 8 megapixels should not get noisy images but I guess we also gotta take into account things like sensor size(bigger sensor = more expensive anyways) and as I've said, limitations of digital imaging.

For pure unadultered images without noise, go for ISO100 transparency film, confirm + chop no noise when used with tripod. ;)

G-man said:
Well to begin with, I think because we're still coming to terms with prosumers, and many people have this idea that 8 megapixels should not get noisy images but I guess we also gotta take into account things like sensor size(bigger sensor = more expensive anyways) and as I've said, limitations of digital imaging.

For pure unadultered images without noise, go for ISO100 transparency film, confirm + chop no noise when used with tripod. ;)

but the thing about panasonic is that their sensors are legendary for being noisy..thats undisputed..just look at dpreviews review of FZ30 and you can see the emphasis on noise. and from what i can see, whenever someone recommend lumix pNs, another would recommend F11 [you would know why] :sweat: no offence to the Fuji pple btw...

True lah, but acceptable at ISO100 and below lah, the images.

I guess I can live with the noise and clean up with 3rd party software. The quality of the FZ30 is decent compared to what I used to use(Cybershot 5megapixel forgot-what-model-number). :bsmilie:

I got my fz 30 at simlim for 1100 + bag + extra batt + lens protection + trade in 256 for 1 gb sd card

The noise issue isnt tat bad...
Cannot complain about noise at high iso because its a prosumer cam not a dslr...(wad you pay is wad you get)'
If you do require the extra iso or u take alot of those shots then this cam isnt 'it'
To me i can live with the little noise. Just use noise reduction program.
Good Luck in choosing your buy place !!!

got mine for 700 cam + bag + 512mb sd + CP ;p
the noise isnt any better on some other cams of the same class

darkmoon said:
got mine for 700 cam + bag + 512mb sd + CP ;p
the noise isnt any better on some other cams of the same class

S$ 700 for FZ 30? so cheap???? :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.