Newbie here saying hi w a quick qn too =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentientpuppets

Jul 5, 2006
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forums so saying hi =). New to photography as well and trying to learn more etc duo1 duo1 qing3 jiao4 (read: humbly request your teaching)

a quick question for the pros out there...are the pictures we see around digitally post-processed? Of course the photographers are like skilled and have a good eye but just wondering whether people add some *punch* etc before posting for everyone =).

I guess I'm a little lazy and like the pictures may look ok on the camera screen but then on the computer screen (and not even 100% pic) it looks quite bad :cry:

i guess more like changing contrasts, sharpening, things like that etc?

I would guess that a few tweaks here and there in Photoshop is about par for the course when you are talking about digital photographic. Taking the picture is just one third of the process. The other two thirds include processing of the picture and finally printing. Which incidentally, isn't too different from what Ansel Adam taught in B&W photography.... ;)

Ahh...so it is not just about taking the photo then? heh ...though I guess there are some things you can't change ...so it's better to learn composition etc first before trying to get that *wow* effect? =)

that's quite personal and really depends on whether one knows how to use photo-editing softwares.
Sometimes, some post processing makes a great deal of diff.

actually the post processing used to be done in the darkroom as well
now it is done on a computer.

same things just different medium

sentientpuppets said:
Ahh...so it is not just about taking the photo then? heh ...though I guess there are some things you can't change ...so it's better to learn composition etc first before trying to get that *wow* effect? =)

well, a lot of ppl say that in digital photography, taking the picture is just part of the process...
but some ppl also dun like to post process their pictures much after shooting. to each his own. for me, i once dun like to process my pics, finding it troublesome. but as i used photoshop more and more, i began to have in interest in touching up my pics... so, there u have it :)

sentientpuppets said:
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forums so saying hi =). New to photography as well and trying to learn more etc duo1 duo1 qing3 jiao4 (read: humbly request your teaching)

a quick question for the pros out there...are the pictures we see around digitally post-processed? Of course the photographers are like skilled and have a good eye but just wondering whether people add some *punch* etc before posting for everyone =).

I guess I'm a little lazy and like the pictures may look ok on the camera screen but then on the computer screen (and not even 100% pic) it looks quite bad :cry:
Hi there , i would say most of it is yes , processed . Some also lazy to do it . I think a good digital photographer should fully make use of the capability of modern digital technology to enhance and express their photos and i am still learning to do so ;)

ahh :think: so to each his/her own more or less :cool: ...

i think the most i've done is cropping for weird stuff at the edges of the photo (camera screen not 100% i think so some stuff appear i guess?) other than that, not much else --lazy!-- and of coz the photo still looks :nono:

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.