Newbie here reporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubbishBin1987

Jan 14, 2011
Hi, new guy in block reporting:D

Welcome to Clubsnap. Beware of BBB.

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome :D. Planning to get a DSLR soon, so I asked some of my friend and they recommended Canon or Nikon system. But one of my particular friend closer to me recommended Sony. He is using a Canon himself, but he pointed out that having a Sony helps as it has a built in image stabilizer in the camera as compare to the other 2 brands where you have to pay quite an amount for it. He pointed that though learning to hold the camera stable is important, having the technology helps a lot in a learning newbie like me. I read this forum and found out that it mostly contain only about the 2 large brand when newbie ask for choice, so I'm concern about the choice of my first DSLR.

Last edited:
He also pointed that while a Pentax system is also good choice with the built in image stabilizer, but if I am more serious into the hobby (with more $$$) and going for a Full Frame system (still reading about it on wiki), Pentax doesn't offers Full Frame system while Sony got an A900 for me. I don't really knows, but it sounds good for future development.

RubbishBin1987 said:
He also pointed that while a Pentax system is also good choice with the built in image stabilizer, but if I am more serious into the hobby (with more $$$) and going for a Full Frame system (still reading about it on wiki), Pentax doesn't offers Full Frame system while Sony got an A900 for me. I don't really knows, but it sounds good for future development.

Serious need full frame? Oh dear what are ppl preaching these days. I know ff users who stay on the banks scared that the sea will eat up their camera. I also know p&s users who will brave the waves to get their shot w good results.

Being serious in photography doesn't have anything to do w gear. Or are you saying you have to have a top end racket to play tennis, best running shoes to be serious about competitive running?

Serious need full frame? Oh dear what are ppl preaching these days. I know ff users who stay on the banks scared that the sea will eat up their camera. I also know p&s users who will brave the waves to get their shot w good results.

Being serious in photography doesn't have anything to do w gear. Or are you saying you have to have a top end racket to play tennis, best running shoes to be serious about competitive running?

I think what TS's friend means is when TS decided to get a better machine. I do understand that a normal camera can take good shots with good skill. It is still good to have a better machine (must consider your pocket as well), like why you constantly upgrading computer when you are into gaming.

But I need to remind TS that he should choose his set depending on what he decides to shoot. Crop body are lighter and better for long distance travel. Sports shooter will prefer faster FPS, but it all depends. I have a canon user friend who been to a landscape shooting outing with all nikon users and he came back talking about those nikon user saying how good nikon higher end camera are with such high FPS when I ask my friend why does he need the high FPS when shooting landscape... Fanboys...:dunno:

What I mean is that TS's friend didn't phrase it properly. It isn't pure serious, but when you are heavily into something, don't you feel that you would like a better or other equipment when your skill improves or trying to explore more? Else, I do hope I don't see those who thinks that "photography doesn't have anything to do w gear" in B&S saying that you sell something to fund for another equipment.

Wah, simple suggestion turning flame. I guess this is different people view from different angle. Thanks a lot for the concern and reply regarding my first DSLR. I hope I can close this thread before it turns firestorm, but how do I close this thread? Anyone can help me? :(

I think TS's friend is trying to suggest a futureproof solution; there is nothing wrong with a non-professional photographer buying full frame camera if they want to. Should TS become very interested in photography and his skills outgrow his equipment, getting Sony or a system that has full frame cameras will allow the TS to switch to full frame without bothering about switching brands and learning a whole new interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.