Visit site
I simply love these MSN emoticons... ;)

Budget: $700-900
3 or 4 megapixel
Optical Zoom preferably at least 3x
Size does not matter
Any type of battery, but preferably AA or AAA
Weight must be less than 550g
Preferably able to mount lenses and filters (including polarisers)
Manual controls preferably available (i.e. don't want a point-and-shoot)
Need fast auto-focus speed as I'll be using it to take photos of matches
Using it for mostly outdoor photos (with poor daylight and rainy day brightness)

Does any camera comese close to this? ;p

but S45 not able to mount lenses and filters... or... I should say, lenses and filters not that easily available for S45. :)

get the S45, which btw i just bought and am loving it, hehe.

if u wanan add lens and stuff get the adaptor for the cam.

Hi, I'm also thinking of getting a camera which i had came to 3 choices:

Nikon Coolpix5000
Olympus C-5050 Zoom
Canon G3

Which shall i choose????? :confused:

Olympus c730uz? a 3mp digital cam, has manual functions, 10X optical zoom, can mount filters and lens... but not sure whether can mount hot shoe... costs within ur budget (without the other accessories) 1st hand...

Originally posted by yaoxing
Thanks guys. :)

Any Olympus that fits the description above? :angel:
Olympus C4000 and C730 would fit your description, but I would recommend C730 for the 10X zoom. Chokky has already mentioned above of its basic functions.

While S45 is a compact DC with manual functions, it uses Li-on batteries compared to Olympus AA batteries, and there's no official adapter by Canon for mounting lenses and filters.

soul_lam and Del_CtrlnoAlt, you might want to state your requirements/preferences and intended usage of a camera first, it will be easier to recommend one based on those factors. You might also want to search around the forums for similar threads on choosing/comparing those cameras you have in mind.

For Olympus, the C4000 would be a good choice. The C730 has slower focus speed and longer shutter lag so it isn't very "fast".. Besides the limitation of use of smartmedia cards, imho the C4000 is actually a good peformer and good value for money.. :)

Consider buying a 2nd hand Fuji S602..there are a pple selling.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
Consider buying a 2nd hand Fuji S602..there are a pple selling.

Will consider. :) What's the brand new price nowadays and what is the market price for 2nd hand?

New price is about 1K now. 2nd hand price, you can see for yourself that its about $800.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
New price is about 1K now. 2nd hand price, you can see for yourself that its about $800.

Yaoxing, you will not go wrong with the 602z.

If you want to shoot matches, you will need fast AF, big zoom, and minimal shutter release. Few of the cams mentioned so far will have all of those features, at ard. $800 (2nd hand).

Yep. The greatest advantage it has is the 25shot buffer, 5fps, final 5 frame mode which helps ensure that you won't miss critical shots.

Beware that these consumer/prosumer-type digicams may not be able to follow the fast pace of sports matches well (unless you're talking about a chess match). I have a 6900Z (similar to S602Z), and even with a long (35-210mm) and bright (f/2.8 at the wide end) lens, many action shots end up blurred because the AF mechanism cannot keep up.

If you want something for fast-paced sports, at a budget, stay with film. Otherwise you will end up with lots of blurred images.

This is only in my experience ... I'd love to hear from someone who can confirm that some of those digicams suggested above can follow fast action well.

Status
Not open for further replies.