Newbie here needs some advices

Arinikurn

Apr 29, 2010
Somewhere in Singapore
Hi Guys, I am new here just joined not long ago.. ;) I am planning to buy a 2nd hand Canon 450D camera which my cousin said it is user friendly for beginner. I'm getting it at $650. Is the price ok? It includes 1 lens n 1 x 8 GB memory card.
BTW, I am also looking at Sony a230Y (new set). Any comment for the both cameras? Which will be better for beginner?:think:

Welcome to CS:)

Cheers:)

I believe a compact camera will serve you better. Something like Canon G11. Its not too bad with many manual functions available like a dslr, focus fast. You can bring it out wherever u go and shoot and learn more. And when you feel ready for the big big cam, then source to buy a higher end one instead and u can still use this compact cam as ure travel about cam. my 2 cents.

I'm getting it at $650. Is the price ok? It includes 1 lens n 1 x 8 GB memory card.

That's as good as "I'm getting a 2nd hand car. It has 4 wheels and an engine - is it good enough for 50,000 bucks?" - Hope you get the idea.
As mentioned: with this knowledge level and also if you don't see yourself digging further into the topic and climbing up the learning curve then any compact or prosumer cam will serve you better.
For newbies there newbies giudes here, right on top of the thread list. Take your time, read them, understand. Search further if necessary, Google also helps. Read reviews of the cameras - and most important: define what you want and why you want it. Define how much money you want to spend without ripping off yourself. Strike out everything that goes like "cool to have" or "my cousin/friend/nice/grandmother has it also" and so on. See the result and then decide whether you want to spend the money on it. It's your money after all, why should you listen to people somewhere on Internet how you spend it? :)

To add onto what the other CSers have mentioned.

You might want to do a search on 450D in BnS subforum on the common prices of the camera now.

You have to hold them in your hands to see if you are comfortable with them... The Sony A230 is a great bargain, but it's a pretty small DSLR. Best to try it out to see if you find the ergonomics comfy. If you do, I'd say go for it - you'll at least get full warranty and the free DSLR handling course.

if you think it's fine and meets your budget...get it and try it out...better than discussing over it....coz u won't likely get to know much about the cam without getting your hands on it...:)

Last edited:
Welcome to CS :) Think the px is abit on the high side.. why not consider 500D at abit more?

Hi Guys, thanks for all the comments:D... will try the handling for both the cameras first and oso get more infor before i jump into which camera for me...

first off welcome to the club :)

i suggest on two things, budget and objective. budget is usually the most important to most casual users. objective would be like why you need to get a DSLR? just because ppl around you says it take better pic? or you know it takes better pic.

i dropped slr 10+ yrs ago due to cost of developing when i was still a poly students, but returned to dslr now knowing that my passion never died.

again in the end its your choice.

hi,

welcome to clubsnap, IMO 650 for a 450D with lens and 8gb memory is worth it. no joke, its worth it espeically when it comes with the kit lens as well. now u can go and explore ur cam haha. enjoy!

Hi Guys, I am new here just joined not long ago.. ;) I am planning to buy a 2nd hand Canon 450D camera which my cousin said it is user friendly for beginner. I'm getting it at $650. Is the price ok? It includes 1 lens n 1 x 8 GB memory card.
BTW, I am also looking at Sony a230Y (new set). Any comment for the both cameras? Which will be better for beginner?:think:

Hi TS, I can't comment which is better, since I've never handled a Sony before. Like what some of the fellow CS-ers mentioned, it is important to have a hands-on and 'feel' of the camera. When i first started out, I wanted a Nikon (just because my sister is using one) but after trying out her D200, I gave up and chose Canon instead because I was not used to Nikon's interface. This is just my personal experience. End of the day you have to be comfortable with your own equipment ;)

Welcome to CS !

Jus my humble suggestion..
$650 is definitely a gd price since includes lens.. but take note whether is it 18-55 IS or Non-IS (assuming is kit lens ya)...
2nd hand price around $600 for the body already..so..grab it if includes kit lens with IS..
take note of shuttercount...if very high...then probably dun bother buying...

personally quite like 450D with battery grip...feels quite gd..light weight..gd for travel (450D + Grip is lighter than xxd series)...
for more details..google urselves..but i can't say is better than sony since i only get contact with canon
hope help...
cheers!:)

im a newbie using 2nd 450d too.

$650 is worth it. with kit lens + mem card .

but you have to 2x check if the lens is with IS one anot.

Worth it or Not is up to the individual.... do check up prices in B&S to get an idea of what current prices are like....

Happy shopping -> happy shooting !!! ;)