Newbie here needs some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanochan1

Feb 2, 2009
hi, i just got my 500D with KIT 1 lens..

what should i get like filter or etc that is a need and will be advisable to have it then not to have.

do advise, thanks.. i am in a lost.

Well, most would say photography is an expensive hobby, but I say, it is an expensive hobby ONLY if you make it so.

UV filter is a must for me. Basically it's function to me is to protect my lenses... and depending on your budget, you could get a camera bag, a good tripod... and Oh, a dry cab is also a must to safe keep your equipment.

Well, most would say photography is an expensive hobby, but I say, it is an expensive hobby ONLY if you make it so.

UV filter is a must for me. Basically it's function to me is to protect my lenses... and depending on your budget, you could get a camera bag, a good tripod... and Oh, a dry cab is also a must to safe keep your equipment.

so the next required things required from me is

a UV filter - is a step up ring or anything else required? i just need a clear one that doesn't affect my photo quality
and a dry cabinet yahs?

that's all and is good for me to use it for a short while before i start learning the ropes to upgrade and etc yahs?

nope. step up rings are not required for the UV filter. Just get the correct size one. Your 500D can last you a long while yet.

these additional things are the necessities to me. The rest are additional depending on budget and want kind of photography you are into.

Have fun with your camera and start shooting!

nope. step up rings are not required for the UV filter. Just get the correct size one. Your 500D can last you a long while yet.

these additional things are the necessities to me. The rest are additional depending on budget and want kind of photography you are into.

Have fun with your camera and start shooting!

thanks... :)

Since you're using kit one, you should be getting a 58mm UV Filter.
If you love take landscape shot, you can consider getting CPL filter as well.

eh.. if i am getting a 58mm UV Filter which is bigger compared to my Lens, do i need to purchase a step up ring for it?

nanochan1 said:
eh.. if i am getting a 58mm UV Filter which is bigger compared to my Lens, do i need to purchase a step up ring for it?

How did you come to this conclusion?

you don't need a step up ring if the diameter of the filter is the same as the thread diameter of your kit lens.

Why you keep asking about step up ring? zsubari already answered your question wat...

This lens (below)
Canon_EF-S_18-55mm-lens.jpg

has a thread diameter of 58mm, according to THIS site

Last edited:
The UV filter size of your lens is located at the back of your lens cap.

you can jolly get the UV Filter which suit your len's diameter...
An average UV filter is not very expensive.
So if you have more than 1 lens with different diameter, it's advisable to get an UV filter for each of them.

How did you come to this conclusion?

you don't need a step up ring if the diameter of the filter is the same as the thread diameter of your kit lens.

Why you keep asking about step up ring? zsubari already answered your question wat...

This lens (below)
Canon_EF-S_18-55mm-lens.jpg

has a thread diameter of 58mm, according to THIS site

i am sorry, he said the "correct size" so i was assuming 55m instead of 58mm. i didn't know anything about the thread diameter thingy or etc. my mistake, i apologise

the "18-55mm" refers to the range of focal lengths for this lens.

58mm is the thread diameter (physically) of the screw threading at the front of this lens.

the "18-55mm" refers to the range of focal lengths for this lens.

58mm is the thread diameter (physically) of the screw threading at the front of this lens.

ok, can - thanks.

Just get the UV filter as protection first..
CPL filters can be expensive, only buy when u get better lens which is confirmed as keeper lens, as CPL also come in diff diameter size

i suggest you start shooting and slowly you'll realise what you need that you dun have.

for example,

landscape - CPL, Grads, ND
night - tripod is a must.

bags wise, its quite standard. you wan something to protect your gear when carrying them around. the only thing is, what you intend to get in the future. (flash, lens etc) these would determine the size of the bag to buy. but of course not a bag to put everything you have.

Happy shooting! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.