Newbie here needs help on dust issue on sensor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priscilia

Deregistered
Jun 20, 2006
Hi all,

I'm new in Clubsnap. Hope to get some guidance here. Hee... :)

Is there a good way to clean the digital cam sensor to remove dust? I've been sharing my brother's Canon DSLR using blower but I find it ineffective. Read about many different other methods such as using alcohol swabs, brushes and all that. I'm kinda timid in trying out all these! Afraid I might scratch the surface.

Will be getting my own cam (hopefully soon!) so would like to check out on some good methods of cleaning. Anyone with bad experience to share also? (Hope not! :sweat: )

Thank u!!!

bring the camera down to the service center! you can do it cheaper yourself, but if you scratch the sensor ...

There are many sensor cleaner avaliable in the market now. If you aren't confident in doing like they all say send it to the service center.

Or buy olympus lor. The anti-dust REALLY works, proven by many olympus users... no need to go to service center. The dust cleaning is not FOC for some brands, even during warranty period.

Sony also has anti-dust but not proven so :dunno:

wind30 said:
Or buy olympus lor. The anti-dust REALLY works, proven by many olympus users... no need to go to service center. The dust cleaning is not FOC for some brands, even during warranty period.

Sony also has anti-dust but not proven so :dunno:
Is it anti-dust? I though it is Dust Reduction... Sticky dust will stay in the sensor.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=203085

Regards,
Arto.

Does anyone know how much Canon charges for cleaning it? But I read here some people say even after cleaning dust easily settles back again so that's why they DIY?

Priscilia said:
Does anyone know how much Canon charges for cleaning it? But I read here some people say even after cleaning dust easily settles back again so that's why they DIY?
haha..should b ard 20...

Priscilia said:
It is something like your car.

Your car is dirty. You wash it at petrol station (and pay for the service). Your car is clean. Use it on the road. Will your car never get dirty again? Will you bring it back to petrol station again to wash it?

Alternatively, you can wash your car yourself (at no or small cost).

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Is it anti-dust? I though it is Dust Reduction... Sticky dust will stay in the sensor.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=203085

Regards,
Arto.

the dust-reduction feature is anti-dust in nature. i never had any dust bunnies on my pics on before.

just go to any olympus forum and see if anyone complaints about dust on sensor. seriously doubt that you can find any.

btw the dust-something in sony-DSLR is not pioneered by olympus. so who knows how well it can perform.:dunno:

Hmmm you might want to read this for info.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=198581&highlight=sensor+swabs

Anyway I'm not selling this at the moment so this isn't advertising... an interesting read for those who are apprehensive about DIY sensor cleaning. Pics are removed since the ad's inactive but the text is intact.

FYI Canon charges $21, but thats not the prob. Real prob lies in bringing it down, waiting for them to do it etc etc. If they're busy you may have to leave it there.

Its a simple job. People scratch their sensors cos they decide to "go cheap" and do stupid stuff using equipment not designed for the job. Sorta like going climbing with carabiners marked "not for climbing".

Thanks Solarii!

Do they sell this Sensor Swab thingy in the shops?

I read about Visible Dust somewhere here too. Gawd, cehcked the price and apparently it cost >S$200 for the brush thingy?! :bigeyes:

Had a really nasty experience with dust, that type which just won't disappear, eventually change the whole sensor.... Dust behind the sensor.

kenele said:
Had a really nasty experience with dust, that type which just won't disappear, eventually change the whole sensor.... Dust behind the sensor.
Dust behind the sensor will not be seen in the photo :bsmilie: .

Actually, there is a filter covering the sensor (CMOS/CCD/whatever). Some say its an AA filter, some say its an InfraRed filter. The dust is traped between this filter and sensor.
How its go there :dunno: . Should be lucky to have that one :bsmilie: (but I prefer not).

Regards,
Arto.

I'm quite bought over by the Sensor Swab compared to the Visible Dust which is so expensive. :bigeyes:

Cathay sells it quite expensive too at >S$100. Saw on the US website they are selling ~S$85? Wonder if anyone doing any sort of mass order? Or are there any interested parties willing to combine orders so we can get it cheaper?

Priscilia said:
I'm quite bought over by the Sensor Swab compared to the Visible Dust which is so expensive. :bigeyes:

Cathay sells it quite expensive too at >S$100. Saw on the US website they are selling ~S$85? Wonder if anyone doing any sort of mass order? Or are there any interested parties willing to combine orders so we can get it cheaper?

I am interested. If you are ordering, PM me. Thanks.

wind30 said:
I am interested. If you are ordering, PM me. Thanks.

Saw the item on ebay too. Maybe u guys can consider that too? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.