Newbie here..need help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linus

Jan 31, 2002
Visit site
Was considering to get a SLR camera..

but then...my uncle tempted me to get a digital camera.

need to know some recommendations

currently on my mind

olympus c700 @ 900 dollars, superpet.. any cheaper?
canon 901s @ ??? wat price huh?

if canon one is acceptable, would buy it.

seems like the c700 does not perform well at taking nite shots and have to buy external flash bracket.

thanx.

another option in my mind is the nikon 885.

best is to get both slr and digicam

Originally posted by Linus
another option in my mind is the nikon 885.
I afraid the 885 is slow and has abbr chrom problem. So C700 and the Canon (I assume Pro90) is better for Nightshots (the one that don't use flash at all) IMHO, even though 885 is 3MP.;)

G2 is a all arounder... pro90 will be the best if i getting another DC

if you want a 10x optical zoom with mage stabilisation, you can consider the Olympus C2100UZ which costs about $950 with a UV filter.

Originally posted by mpenza
if you want a 10x optical zoom with mage stabilisation, you can consider the Olympus C2100UZ which costs about $950 with a UV filter.

i was looking at this baby too.
where can u get that price?

Originally posted by franciskc
G2 is a all arounder... pro90 will be the best if i getting another DC

but G2 is too ex for me...

Originally posted by mpenza

one question..can we actually attach lens to the c2100uz?

like macro lens? and teleconverter?

i was looking at this baby too.
where can u get that price?
You can get the price Mpenza mentioned from AP. Just tell them few of your friend bought at that price (a few of the forumers bought it at this price, they are your friends right?) from AP. Or ask JAyan/Sebastian to go with you. Especially Sebastian very big size, AP won't fool around with you.:bsmilie:

Yes, can attach lens. I will let Jayan and Sebastian to tell you the details. ;)

one question..can we actually attach lens to the c2100uz?

like macro lens? and teleconverter?

Yes, the Oly c-2100uz is threaded for 49mm filter and conversion lens.....though u can screw on a step-up or step-down ring for other filters or lens that are smaller or bigger in size.

Originally posted by Kevin

You can get the price Mpenza mentioned from AP. Just tell them few of your friend bought at that price (a few of the forumers bought it at this price, they are your friends right?) from AP. Or ask Jayan/Sebastian to go with you. Especially Sebastian very big size, AP won't fool around with you.:bsmilie:

Yes, can attach lens. I will let Jayan and Sebastian to tell you the details. ;)

I bought from AP @ $950 and that price incl. GST + a Hoya 49mm mono-coat UV Guard filter....cash or NETS only though for this price.

Just go there and tell 'em that a few friends came here to buy the same DC at this price b4, then ask them for the same price.

Dunno whether they'll waive the GST for u or not....they didn't for Sebastian if i'm not wrong.

Anyway, as long as the price is below S$1K with everything thrown in.....it should be considered reasonable.

If u want something with similar feature but more compact...try the $900 Olymopus C-700uz...it's don't have IS but has a manual WB feature.

Or else u may wanna consider the Canon Pro 90is....it has additional features --> swivel LCD + higher 2.6MP + can use type I and II CFs....but price is higher @ abt $1.6K.

As for the attach lens qn...see my previous post.

Originally posted by Jayan

I bought from AP @ $950 and that price incl. GST + a Hoya 49mm mono-coat UV Guard filter....cash or NETS only though for this price.

Just go there and tell 'em that a few friends came here to buy the same DC at this price b4, then ask them for the same price.

Dunno whether they'll waive the GST for u or not....they didn't for Sebastian if i'm not wrong.

Anyway, as long as the price is below S$1K with everything thrown in.....it should be considered reasonable.

If u want something with similar feature but more compact...try the $900 Olymopus C-700uz...it's don't have IS but has a manual WB feature.

Or else u may wanna consider the Canon Pro 90is....it has additional features --> swivel LCD + higher 2.6MP + can use type I and II CFs....but price is higher @ abt $1.6K.

I was considering between these 2 olympus ones. Canon Pro 90is is out for me cux it is too ex. Thanx for ur help.

Only 700 have manual white balance?

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Why don't you consider the SLR...again? ;)

hi there. Yes, SLR may be a consideration. However, looking at the money that i have to spent on lenses next time, plus the film, and other accessories..I think it might be better to get a digital camera. In addition, i am not going to take photography as a dedicated hobby but more of a leisure. Something that i like to do but not too serious into it. Taking pictures when I am out.

Originally posted by Jayan

from your avatar, are u using that camera? wat's the difference of the quality of images when there is image stabilisation.

last time, when i was doing video filming, i realise the importance of manual white balancing and the camera u use do not have white balancing. thus, it is going to be a tough choice for me...whether to choose white balancing over image stabaliser.

Originally posted by Kevin
Especially Sebastian very big size, AP won't fool around with you.:bsmilie:

wah Kevin have I meet you before... I gentle giant lah... all bark and no bite one... think Jayan is the real merchant prince to bring along to AP. I just tag along for show show only...

last time, when i was doing video filming, i realise the importance of manual white balancing and the camera u use do not have white balancing. thus, it is going to be a tough choice for me...whether to choose white balancing over image stabaliser.

2100 has white balance settings. In fact it has 5 positions, plus manual, which is more than many other cameras.

check this out:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?cameras=oly_c2100uz&method=sidebyside

Originally posted by sebastiansong

wah Kevin have I meet you before... I gentle giant lah... all bark and no bite one... think Jayan is the real merchant prince to bring along to AP. I just tag along for show show only...

One big giant behind and you think that the people there not scare that if they don't give a good price, what will that big guy do.......;)

Anyway, I think that getting a DC with WB is more imp then IS.
After all, there is a tripod that you can use. Unless you are thinking off shooting fast pictures, then it another story liao.

Hurry get your DC and join in the fun.......

Status
Not open for further replies.