Newbie here, need help

autumnbrazzer

Jan 2, 2011
Can a nikon 50mm F1.8 autofocus on my nikon D3100?

Thanks alot, do u think it would be a worth investment? since i heard lots of great review on this len.

definitely.. 1 of the most valued for money lens. and gives u a chance to try out manual focusing. but do try manual focusing on your kit lens. Its actually quite fun and addictive. But after trying and u think you wont like it, then dont get the 50mm f1.8. will have to get the 3 times more ex f1.4 then

Thanks alot, do u think it would be a worth investment? since i heard lots of great review on this len.

If you prefer or you don't mind using manual focusing, its a great lens to have for portraits and other things. This is one of Nikon's cheapest lens but also one of its sharpest.:)

If you are using manual focus, your shooting style will be different. It takes a lot of practice. Can be quite frustrating if you are shooting streets or events coz things happen so fast and u might miss the shot.

If ure shooting mainly still life, its ok then. You have all the time in the world.

My 2cts. ;)

hi i asked the same question back when i was on a d5000, whether there was any point getting the 50 1.8 if i had to manual focus.

just to share in the end i bought an old cheap manual focus prime (50 1.4 AIS which i sold... and missed too much and now have a 50 1.4 AI'D)

not very practical for day to day photography, but can be fun to use if you have the patience... personally like the build quality of the old lens... decent image quality too

it's my non-serious lens... and also the focus ring on an old lens like this IS designed for manual focus.. as compared to the 50mm 1.8

in any case no harm getting the 50 1.8, train manual focus...keep it handy until you upgrade to a compatible body

Suggest you get AFS 35mm f/1.8G lens. When on DX body, will give you 52.5mm FL and autofocus on the D3100. Price should be ~320, and it cones with hood and a proper Nikon rear cap.

Well, it's not that expensive, so you can buy one off B&S, and then sell it off for slight loss or on par if you don't like it.

The difference can be taken as rental fee. :)

worth getting this lens . . . i use it for macro too with raynox lens attached . . . :)

Thanks alot guys! The info was much appreciated :). I was thinking if i should save abit more and get the 50mm F1.4? Whats ur opinion? So any lens with AFS can be autofocus with my D3100?

Last edited:
Thanks alot guys! The info was much appreciated :). I was thinking if i should save abit more and get the 50mm F1.4? Whats ur opinion? So any lens with AFS can be autofocus with my D3100?

Yes, as long as its AF-S it can AF on your camera. Take note though, the 50mm f1.4 have both AF and AF-S versions, make sure you get the right one.