Newbie here, need help from U guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugene83

Mar 23, 2007
SengKang
hey guys,

i'm new to all this and thinking of taking it as a hobby. I've read up abit and thinking of buying a canon 400d but comtemplating on buying a new one or a 2nd hand one.

Please advice

if you have enough money, you can buy brand new so you have no worries about shutter counts or insufficient warranty...

however if you are tight on cash, buy 2nd hand. there is a good post in Marketplace forum for a 400D with a prime lens and a battery grip as 400D is a bit small:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=267530
however the seller do not have a kit lens which is very useful as you start out with this hobby. it's a versitle lens. =)

i'm a recent 400D user.. upgraded from 350D..... hope this helps :

It depends on the sort of person you are.

Are you willing to take the chances of getting something which may have trouble a while later and you have to send for repair and pay $, you will du lan?

If yes, then don't, because the chances are there no matter how you put it. Of course for 400D not so high, it's relatively new product.

why not get a

1) 10x optical zoom (about 35mm-400mm) with optical stablizer
panasonic - fz10 or fz20

2) 3-4x optical zoom (about 35mm-105mm) no optical stablizer but have fast lens (max f1.8-f2.0)
canon - g2 or g3
olympus - c4040 or c5050

buy from B&S here.
above comes with manual mode (imo, important to understand the basic), cost between $200 - $300. get good starter tripod for $100+ (eg. manfrotto 190series with ball head or 3way pan head).

if you are really hook on photography, than venture deeper ie.$$$ investment in dslr + lens.

this way, you can than spend time deciding which system to go into without being tie down by the intial investment on campact camera since it is a stand alone unit.

as for tripod, you will still need it.

Do not hesitate. Just do it. 2nd hand or new does not matter.
It is not a huge purchase like a car or house. Life is short.
If you do not like it (remote chance) just sell and lose a little bit.

actually the best advice is that you hang around the b and s section and wait for those guys that want to change systems, then you can get the whole set of cameras and lens from them cheap.. buying each individually will be more EX. :)

why not get a

1) 10x optical zoom (about 35mm-400mm) with optical stablizer
panasonic - fz10 or fz20

2) 3-4x optical zoom (about 35mm-105mm) no optical stablizer but have fast lens (max f1.8-f2.0)
canon - g2 or g3
olympus - c4040 or c5050

buy from B&S here.
above comes with manual mode (imo, important to understand the basic), cost between $200 - $300. get good starter tripod for $100+ (eg. manfrotto 190series with ball head or 3way pan head).

if you are really hook on photography, than venture deeper ie.$$$ investment in dslr + lens.

this way, you can than spend time deciding which system to go into without being tie down by the intial investment on campact camera since it is a stand alone unit.

as for tripod, you will still need it.

i got a PnS canon powerShot A510, not a bad cam but limted. plus i want to explore more and learn more so i think getting an entry level DSLR will be a good stepping stone to learn more abt it, i don't know what do u all think?

if u know the basics like aperture , shutter speed...etc, then a dslr shd be fine.
I think A510 have M mode? do u frequent shoot in M mode or just P mode all the way??

my 400D is 2nd hand lah...2nd hand cam involves some risk, but check well how to check a cam, there is a dead pixel test s/w also...if u got laptop can bring while buying.
or just get the first hand if you are not used to using 2nd hand stuff.

OT abit:
actually 400D also got P mode etc ...but then...i think the exposure sometimes not good..so i prefer to keep it M mode...(i get overexposed photos at time when using Av mode...mmmm...) hahah

Well, I think compared to many other cameras, getting a 2nd-hand 400D involves lower risk. Simply because whoever you bought from, there is still about half a year of warranty left. So just check for any physical damages due to negligence, and you are quite safe. Any other problems, just send it to the service centre to get them fixed.

if u know the basics like aperture , shutter speed...etc, then a dslr shd be fine.
I think A510 have M mode? do u frequent shoot in M mode or just P mode all the way??

my 400D is 2nd hand lah...2nd hand cam involves some risk, but check well how to check a cam, there is a dead pixel test s/w also...if u got laptop can bring while buying.
or just get the first hand if you are not used to using 2nd hand stuff.

OT abit:
actually 400D also got P mode etc ...but then...i think the exposure sometimes not good..so i prefer to keep it M mode...(i get overexposed photos at time when using Av mode...mmmm...) hahah

more or less know the basics have been reading up. i freq used Av mode sometime Tv.

u all think i should buy from cam shop or court?

coz if buy from places like court got give more freebie whereas buy from cam shop the price will be cheaper but come with only a 2GB card and a cam bag from canon only.

coz if buy from places like court got give more freebie whereas buy from cam shop the price will be cheaper but come with only a 2GB card and a cam bag from canon only.

Unless you need those freebies, else just get what you need :)
Remember to do some calculation.

i bought a 2nd hand 400D...
got it with the remaining warranty just in case
never regretted :lovegrin: :lovegrin:
the $ saved can get you a decent lens

Bro,

Dun be blinded by the freebies. If you have friends who bought from the recent IT Show, ask them - are the freebies really as good, as useful, etc.? Or are they looking to offload the freebies now? Chances are, when you get more and more "addicted", you'll start to look at brands & quality of other "essentials" (e.g. tripods, bags, etc...)

i bought a 2nd hand 400D...
got it with the remaining warranty just in case
never regretted :lovegrin: :lovegrin:
the $ saved can get you a decent lens

how much you brought your 400D for and how long is the remaining warranty?

oo... about 2 months ago...
was $1350 with everything including kit lens, memory card. whatever
the guy only used it for 4 mths ;p

now should be much cheaper

oo... about 2 months ago...
was $1350 with everything including kit lens, memory card. whatever
the guy only used it for 4 mths ;p

now should be much cheaper

oo... ok coz i got some shop quote my abt $1440 for 1st hand one with kit len, memory card and a cam bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.