newbie here! HELP!

carebeargal

Jun 7, 2010
hi, i'm new to these forum and also dslr.
i got a Sony A230 in March and been using it quite frequently.
however, i just found out there are spots in the pictures. I panicked! i dunno what to do now. Should i just clean the sensor, using the blower? or send to shop for them to clean for me (if there's such thing). Also, after cleaning the dslr, there will be no more spots right?

ur advises/help are really much appreciated!

try cleaning yourself first.. use the blower... and a lens pen... u gotta clean the lens front and back.. and if u can.. lift the mirror and clean inside... use blower.. be careful not to scratch.. den do test shot against empty white background.. if still have.. send in for service.. yours still new sure no charge.. but may wait for up to a week before they return to you cleaned..

cleaning the sensor is more difficult then the lens..

try cleaning yourself first.. use the blower... and a lens pen... u gotta clean the lens front and back.. and if u can.. lift the mirror and clean inside... use blower.. be careful not to scratch.. den do test shot against empty white background.. if still have.. send in for service.. yours still new sure no charge.. but may wait for up to a week before they return to you cleaned..

Thanks! i hope i can clean it myself and the spots be gone, gotta get the cleaning kit tomorrow.:S

not sure, but you can try to clean the lens first.. what Aperture did you notice the spot?

try to use torch to see your lens, got dusk or wat?

Dust is inevitable, they will find their way there (to ur sensor) someday, practice good lens changing outfield to minimize exposure to the dusty environment. Can try to use a blower to blow off hose dust specks using the shuttle lock up function (if ur cam have any) lifting the cam up, facing u.. If all else fails, send for sensor cleaning.. Norm it work for me.. HTH :)

spots on photos usually come from dust on sensor...you can clean the sensor by using a blower...mirror up your camera(read your manual) and you will see something rectangular..that's the filter(often said to be a sensor)...just blow repeatedly around..then mirror down...check it's cleaned by shooting white wall/sky at at least f16...look for dust spot on your computer screen...:D

Last edited:
not sure, but you can try to clean the lens first.. what Aperture did you notice the spot?

try to use torch to see your lens, got dusk or wat?

i'm not sure.. as i'm a newbie, i usually use the auto mode to snap the pictures...

Dust is inevitable, they will find their way there (to ur sensor) someday, practice good lens changing outfield to minimize exposure to the dusty environment. Can try to use a blower to blow off hose dust specks using the shuttle lock up function (if ur cam have any) lifting the cam up, facing u.. If all else fails, send for sensor cleaning.. Norm it work for me.. HTH :)

ohhh.. thanks! btw, how much do you pay for the sensor cleaning? any idea?

spots on photos usually come from dust on sensor...you can clean the sensor by using a blower...mirror up your camera(read your manual) and you will see something rectangular..that's the filter(often said to be a sensor)...just blow repeatedly around..then mirror down...check it's cleaned by shooting white wall/sky at at least f16...look for dust spot on your computer screen...:D

Thanks lots! the blower does sounds useful! should have gotten them earlier. will def try it out!

BTW, if i wanna get a filter for my camera, does it have to be the same 'size' as my lens? i'm using the standard 55mm lens. can i use 58mm filter too?

Thanks lots! the blower does sounds useful! should have gotten them earlier. will def try it out!

Buy a good one, don't be conned by getting those tiny blower...they are not powerful enough...

BTW, if i wanna get a filter for my camera, does it have to be the same 'size' as my lens? i'm using the standard 55mm lens. can i use 58mm filter too?

Yes. If not you will have to buy an extra step up ring to attach.:sweat:

ohhh.. thanks! btw, how much do you pay for the sensor cleaning? any idea?

I on NIkon System and each service center varies, mine ard $30, u might wan to chk with Sony :)

Buy a good one, don't be conned by getting those tiny blower...they are not powerful enough...

alamak, tiny blower no good? any type you can recommend me? planning to get them tmr! :D

MS Colour at AMK. Try the price guide section for the address.:)

hi, i'm new to these forum and also dslr.
i got a Sony A230 in March and been using it quite frequently.
however, i just found out there are spots in the pictures. I panicked! i dunno what to do now. Should i just clean the sensor, using the blower? or send to shop for them to clean for me (if there's such thing). Also, after cleaning the dslr, there will be no more spots right?

ur advises/help are really much appreciated!

to test if the spots are coming from your sensor, try this method...

set your shutter speed to 2s. take a shot and shake your camera until the shot is taken. the picture will look all white. if you still see spots, it must be your sensor. if there are no spots, it must be your lens.