newbie here.. asking abt tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

synfan

Mar 19, 2009
Hi..
i'm a newbie here to DSLR..
currently using manfrotto tripod and a ballhead..

would like to ask how would u take care of ur tripod?
does the ball head need to be lubricated with oil or etc???

depends what tripod you get...there are tripods you pay a fortune but may not survive airline baggage trip while there are those that cost less but are like a tank. Everyone has their own preferences.

here is mine. http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450021

from the looks of it, like dont need any maintenance.

if you bought your manfrotto head locally, i believe can send to the distro for maintenance. manfrotto heads are 5 years warranty? please correct if i am wrong.

Last edited:
Your tripod and ballhead are quite rugged and sturdy. No need to worry TOO MUCH about them.

Generally keep them clean if possible, especially the ball. If it's "injured", it might consequently do damage to the mounting.
I think there's some sort of grease on the ball surface when you buy the ballhead. Not sure what type it is though.

Such surfaces should be kept clean of debris or dirt. If you'd need to use lubricants, note that some might attract dirt. Silicon grease may be a suitable candidate if you can happen on some.

zac 08.. thanks for the infomation. but where can i purchase the silicon grease that u are talking n how should it be applied to the head itself? are u using it too??
currently i'm using manfrotto 486rc2..
went to amk hub MS color.. the sale man there tell me where gt ppl put lubrication to ball head de..
tat's y i raise this topic to ask any experts here did or did you not use lubrication on ur ball head..

I think your tripod and BH is still very new.
in this case, no need to do maintenance. may be once every 6 months or a year.
depending on your usage.

Just remember once you come back from shooting.
Just use a clean cloth to wipe away to sand or dirts away.
and for the BH, just make sure there is no sand or dirton the Ball.
just use a cleaning cloth to wipe it will do.

If you really want to lubricate it.
just get a light lubrication grease.

But dont apply to much.. if not there will be grease all over your Tripod and BH.
like that make your gear very oily lor.....

hi a newbie here too... just wondering if a budget of around $100 for a stand is it too little?

Please read your user manual; most ballheads don't really need oiling.

$100 is a little low. I imagine you can get decent legs only at that price.

Please read your user manual; most ballheads don't really need oiling.

$100 is a little low. I imagine you can get decent legs only at that price.
its as expensive as you want it to be. Just as long as you know what you are doing.

zac 08.. thanks for the infomation. but where can i purchase the silicon grease that u are talking n how should it be applied to the head itself? are u using it too??
currently i'm using manfrotto 486rc2..
went to amk hub MS color.. the sale man there tell me where gt ppl put lubrication to ball head de..
tat's y i raise this topic to ask any experts here did or did you not use lubrication on ur ball head..

Actually I haven't applied any yet. :bsmilie: But I have a small amount from my old Arai helmet. they gave it to me to apply onto the visor joints.

ok..
noted..
thanks to all experts..
but question is where can i get such grease?

ok..
noted..
thanks to all experts..
but question is where can i get such grease?

U can try HomeFix or DIY shops. Its a small tube. If i rem correct is blue in colour. :D

The grease is translucent type. Like those type they use with the tamiya car models.

This tube is smoother... a gentle squeeze would do. :D

okie..
thanks for all the information..

Status
Not open for further replies.