Newbie help with Circular Polariser

Status
Not open for further replies.

toonstar

Dec 30, 2002
Visit site
Hi..
i have a circular 55mm HOYA polariser. I noticed there is a rim with a single white line on it. The rim is rotatable. May i know what this function is?

thanks

Originally posted by toonstar
Hi..
i have a circular 55mm HOYA polariser. I noticed there is a rim with a single white line on it. The rim is rotatable. May i know what this function is?

thanks

When you view through your viewfinder and rotate the rim, you will see the amout of light coming in changes, tech it something abt screening off certain range of wavelength(if i am not wrong)
anywei the effect when you turn the rim should be one of the following depending on what you shooting:
sky saturates,
cuts down reflections on surfaces
get clearer reflection on the water surfaces/water become more 'see through'

If yours is a stardard SLR cam, you should see the effect chnages when you rotate. For the white line i jus take it as a marking, maybe some pro can explain better =p

Happy Shooting

hi thanks,

I am using it on fuji 602Z.

just see thru the circular polariser (no need the camera) and look at place/area that has reflection . Rotate the rim of the polariser and you will see the reflection will be disappear.

hi toonstar.

While looking through your viewfinder / LCD and rotating the outter ring of the filter, you'll notice a difference in the lighting of your subject as you rotate the ring. Basically, what the filter is doing is cutting out certain wavelengths of light while allowing others in. It adds more "punch" so to speak to colours.

BTW, the filter works best if your subject is at a 90deg. angle to the sun.

hi..thanks to all for the replies.

Btw...what do you mean by 90deg to the sun. Care to explain relative to the sun?? Meaning 90deg to the top or side or??

correction, polarizers work best on a BLUE sky at right angles or 90deg. to the sun.

e.g. if you're facing the scene you wish to take, the sun should be either on your left or right hand side to maximise the effect of the blue sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.