Newbie Help Needed

v4xystar

Dec 10, 2012
Punggol
My company will like to get a camera for shooting pictures and videos of their indoor and outdoor event..

Is a DSLR or Compact Camera better? Budget should be 1k+

Appreciate the bro's here to help to recommend me some models too, thanks in advance :)

why don't you ask your company photographer their choice of model instead. 1k+ practically you can buy ALMOST every camera model/brand you wish for. Putting ur question here will like going to attract loads of camera brand and names and in the end you still have no idea what to buy... cheers!! :)

Olympus EM-1 or Sony A7 ;) Both voted top and second in Mirrorless cameras in DPreviews.

Oh anyway, jokes aside. If it's professional level u r looking at , I'll say compacts prob not. For me compacts refer to cameras like x100, RX100 ,
X20 , LX7 etc.

Get a proper Mirrorless or SLR with a good lens for a start. I'm guessing this is more for archival or branding purposes so really no need for top notch equipment yet if somehow u r thinking that length.

Last edited:
Hi Lewissac,

Thanks for your reply, my company is small sized so don't have a photographer per se.

I'm enquiring over here hoping to know if there are certain camera model that is within the budget and can handle indoor and outdoor shooting :)

My company will like to get a camera for shooting pictures and videos of their indoor and outdoor event..

Appreciate the bro's here to help to recommend me some models too, thanks in advance :)

Actually... all cameras can handle indoor and outdoor photography. Depending on what type of events you are looking at. At around 1k, I would say Fullframe cameras (unless it was a second hand ones) are out of the questions.

You might want something with bigger sensors to give better low light high ISO handling. What came to mind is,

1) Olympus EM5, EPL6, EP6
2) Pentax k3
3) Canon 70D
4) Nikon D7100

Of course there are others. I would assume that you are the photographer for your company, so you might want to go down to the shop and had a hands on at the camera and see which one suits you better, taking special note of the following,

a) Ergonomic
b) user interface.
c) Weigh

Thanks for your reply, my company is small sized so don't have a photographer per se.
I'm enquiring over here hoping to know if there are certain camera model that is within the budget and can handle indoor and outdoor shooting :)
All cameras within the budget can do the job. So what now? Any you any wiser?
On top of the camera, you might need flash, tripod and other equipment which will burst your budget. Secondly: who will operate it? The next best Tom who knows where the shutter button is? What pictures do you expect to come out there?
Really: if you need pictures to be taken get a professional to do the job. This way you can focus on what your company actually wants: the pictures.

Or.. best way I can recommend: iphone5S, Z1, lumia cameraphone. They're great cameras too. Surely able to serve you indoor and outdoor. Their quality is comparable to those PnS. Not to mention, your company save 1k+.

Camera model can recommend but looking at the way you asked the question are you up to the task?
The models mentioned are mid level except for Pentax K3 which is top of the line currently.If you read the reviews and user experience here at Pentax subforum users are pleased that apart from
low light sensivity iso 6400 with unnoticeable noise (web publishing)fast focus in low light with
light assist of course.There are plenty of advanced features but may take getting used to in terms
of handling.Currently you may get good offers around $1400+ for body only?.It depends on what your company's business,whether promotional pictures and videos or is important in pulling customers.

I think you can wing it with a smartphone. :)

Last edited:
Actually for a total budget of 1k your choices are very limited.

If your company really wants/needs a DSLR, look at the entry level cameras like Nikon D3200 or Canon 100D with kit lens. Once you need an external flash the budget will already be blown.

Since your budget can only allow for one kit lens, what I suggest is to get a good prosumer compact camera instead. You can start by looking here: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6489685206/enthusiast-compact-camera-2013-roundup

Given your budget, best bang for the buck is the Olympus OMD which is on fire sale since its successor the EM-1 was introduced

The OMD occupied king-of-the-hill in M4/3 format for the longest time

there are 2nd hand sets going for below $1k now in Marketplace

i'm gonna assume you need to buy a new set from a store cause it's for your company (the 2nd market offers more options, but may have issues with receipt/warranty, and might be a hassle). A friend of mine just bought a Nikon D3100 with a kit lens for $500+ (a big chain store, may have been Harvey Norman, i can't rmbr). if that offer, or something similar, is available, i'd go with that, plus a SB-700 (SB-600 no longer available, right?). Got spare cash? Buy spare battery and a set or 2 of Eneloops.

An entry level body and kit lens can do more than most people think, and in capable hands, can be used to cover most events. Learn to diffuse the flash -- Stofen or just bounce flash with a small reflector (i've used a business card and rubber band for flashes without a built-in reflector). Use the centre focus spot -- learn to focus and recompose quickly. For the Nikon, TTL BL, and Auto iSO is pretty good, up to 1600/3200. With a regular 18-55 kit lens, I'd stay ard f/5.6 - 8 (I'm normally on Aperture priority, but Program works too. Need to get a tighter shot? Get closer. Let the action flow naturally, but don't be afraid to direct a little. All that was for indoor events. For outdoors, i love fill flash, but if you aren't sure, ditch the flash and use natural light.

Last edited:

Thing is whether your company will be buying lens or it will be the same kit lens forever. Also if you need autofocus for your video.

In my opinion, unless the company is willing to invest in a system, i recommend a all in one like the SX50 if getting brand new.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-powershot-sx50-hs
intro-001.jpg

Can use it for company functions, video-ing training aids and even portraits by using the onboard hotshoe with a compatible flash system. Its respectably large that it could get mistaken as a dslr if that is a requirement.
inhandtop-001.jpg

Even has Manual mode if you need it.
exposuremodedial.jpg

Last edited:
I would recommend a Panasonic GH3. Good sensor for low light photography, and voted one of the best video cameras for its class.

Since this is a m4/3 camera, it will be small and light, and the image quality is way above compact cameras.

Between this and Olympus, I rather go for Panasonic because of the user friendly menu. If u handover an Olympus camera to your colleagues, most probably they can't figure out how to use it.

However said, if u need 'professional' looking photos, you may want to get either a Canon or Nikon DSLR. (M4/3 is very limiting for big events photography.) You won't get faulted or complaint by your boss or colleagues as these are well known brands and probably some colleagues own one and is able to operate it effectively. If photos appear bad, u can blame the person who used it is inexperienced. If u buy pentax which is unknown to most people for its capability, most likely u will get blamed. Personally I would recommend Nikon as their sensors are generally better for low light, they have more focusing points and the flash metering and colours are more consistent and accurate. A Nikon D7000 with 18-105 VR lens can meet most requirements. But the problem is, you still need an additional $600 for a good flash like sb910. If you don't shoot across a large hall, an sb700 will suffice and is only $400.

Last edited: