Newbie Groups :D

Marcusluvsgreen

Feb 4, 2012
Changi
So... i just have this idea that we should form group of similar calibers to go on shoots, etc together.
So just a little background info on my idea... I personally find that the only way to get better isnt taking pictures of your furniture but to get out there to nature where endless photography opportunities reside. Its hard to go phototaking alone because it just feels terribly awkward, can you imagine camping by a leaf to get a shot of it and having to deal with the passer-bys not that they get pesky but im a pretty self-conscious person and have hugeee issues with public perceptions lol. Also, banding together in small groups would overcome this awkward factor and also improve together as a group of newbies, around similar capabilities.

You will learn better and improve faster if you shoot with better and good photographers instead of herding with people with the same capabilities.

And if you have that big an issue with people seeing you shoot with a camera, maybe you might want to consider another hobby instead.

Last edited:
I don't like people watching me take pictures either

Maybe you need a setup like this to help you?

2949024-lg.jpg

You will learn better and improve faster if you shoot with better and good photographers instead of herding with people with the same capabilities.

And if you have that big an issue with people seeing you shoot with a camera, maybe you might want to consider another hobby instead.

+1. If you don't like people to see what you are doing, quit photography.. many good shots may require you to go into weird angles and positions that may attract stares easily. And if you have those telephoto lens mounted, it also attracts attention. It is unavoidable.

And yes, instead of shooting with people of your level, shoot with people that is above you and pick up a few tricks from him or her. Better still, join his/her group out for a shoot, you may easily pick up a few good tricks and tips.

i Prefer to shoot alone... no one to limit the time i need to take a shot, no need to worry if i'm slowing the group down... can jus take my own sweet time to compose and shoot.
U might not improve as fast if you compare to some1 who shoots and learn frm some1 who has more experience. So i compensate wit books, look at pics tat i find tat are great and think how was the shot take from wat angle and stuff like tt... well... i learn better with trail and error and not by having ppl to tell me "U should do this you should do tt" in the end tats jus me

Anyway if u think tt 1 person shoot at the a leaf is awkward, try have 5 ppl gathering around tt 1 leaf.. you'll attract more kapos. and before u know it a crowd have gather wonder "Wat are this 5 dudes trying to shoot"

to seed a group, i would suggest join a few outings and if some of you clique together and get along very well, u can go out and shoot togehter

best wishes

Last edited:
Maybe you need a setup like this to help you?

LOL. Even war photographers don't really use that kind of camouflage. Nature photographers, probably?

Anyway as a fellow newbie I do admit that sometimes I also feel uneasy people looking at me taking pictures. But I really like street and/or candid photography, so I guess that's a part of the learning curve.

LOL. Even war photographers don't really use that kind of camouflage. Nature photographers, probably?

Anyway as a fellow newbie I do admit that sometimes I also feel uneasy people looking at me taking pictures. But I really like street and/or candid photography, so I guess that's a part of the learning curve.

Street photography.... have to get close...

"If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough." - Robert Capa.
a_4852e1f0.jpg

Street photography.... have to get close...

"If your photographs aren't good enough, you're not close enough." - Robert Capa.
a_4852e1f0.jpg
This one is faceplant or street photography? :bsmilie:

As mentioned above. Have at least one person who is more knowledgeable. Else, its just blind following blind.
Not that its impossible to progress that way, but its usually faster if there is someone to pick up some tips from.

Join a few of the outings on CS and then if you clique with a few ppl, you might want to form a smaller group.

shooting together with more experience or better photographer who are willing to share, you will progress much faster than shooting together with a group of newbies. Look out for outing in cs that are organised by more experienced peeps and join them. It will be easier to find new friend having the same hobby or passion and improve at the same time.

This is a first for me to hear fhat a fellow photographer hates to shoot alone. Personally shooting alone gives me all the time and uninterrupted creativity. But i guess everyone is different.

As much as we want to shoot with others, there will be times that shooting allone is a must to boost your self confidence.

Just my 2 cents worth.