NEWBIE got question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oennosaj

May 13, 2007
i'm new to DSLR and i would like to learn to use like a pro. any recommend which camera model should i get? i have already have some ideas in heart but i would like to hear from the pro.

thanks.

What is your budget for 'something like pro?'.

I hope you don't take my question as a rude question. But it is important. How do you want to look like a pro if your budget is only $2000? Remember, photography is not just a camera and one lens. You must think about others gears like another lenses, flash(es), tripod, etc., etc.

But seriously, the gear doesn't make you looks like a pro. The result IS.

Regards,
Arto.

i'm new to DSLR and i would like to learn to use like a pro. any recommend which camera model should i get? i have already have some ideas in heart but i would like to hear from the pro.

thanks.

Pros use everything, from normal P&S to expensive DSLRs. The only thing different that makes them pro is their technique and eye.

You are not hearing this from a pro, btw.. But seriously, if you're new.. Stick to something relatively low-level first, just in case, you find out that you do not like photography so much.

Every brand has its pros and cons, but you should be looking at the Canon 350/400D, Nikon D50/D70, Olympus E410/E500/E510, Pentax K100D.. I guess. Maybe the Sony Alpha 100.

You think buying a pro camera can make you a pro? I suggest you learn how to use a camera first. Try reading photography books.

Do you know what a 'pro' means? To me, a 'pro' means that 90-100% of your pay are obtained from photography work. It doesn't mean anything. It means your profession that's all.

Whether a pro's pics are good or not is another matter. Doesn't mean that you carry expensive cameras and/or produces good pics will classify you as a pro. Of course, if your pics are good, people will tend to classify you as a 'pro'.

you can use like a pro, but your photos will definitely not look like it is coming out from a pro unless you are the pro. :bsmilie:

Do you know what a 'pro' means? To me, a 'pro' means that 90-100% of your pay are obtained from photography work. It doesn't mean anything. It means your profession that's all.

Whether a pro's pics are good or not is another matter. Doesn't mean that you carry expensive cameras and/or produces good pics will classify you as a pro. Of course, if your pics are good, people will tend to classify you as a 'pro'.

There are amateurs who shoot better than pros also... generally, amateurs are driven by passion, pros are driven by money.. Of course, there are pros who are driven by passion also and money is just the result of their passion.

Ok, what I have so far observed through the years in photography about the many kinds of photographers, are as follows:

>> Pros: these photographers either makes their living shooting weddings and all other events and or purposes, and are REALLY very good in what they do... most of the pros I came across are like that... really pros and you don't even know that they are pro-photographers outside of the studio! Why? Because they use very simple cameras, and carry very little gear... amazing!

>> Pro-wananbe: these are those who in appearance look damn fierce with all the jacket, branded cam-bags or backpacks, huge mean branded tripods/monopods, wear sunglasses (hehehe..shooting with sunglasses!), and generally only LOOK LIKE pro... but man... not lah..
just only have a lot of money to spend on gears..but shoot like koteh..

>> The Serious Enthusiast: now in this category, you will indeed find, some really skillful and very creative and resourceful photographers.. whether in Singapore, or abroad. And yes, PASSION is the keyword under this group. Here any kind or level of cameras will do, and the pictures from this group, often requires more than a second look...

>> The Starters: this category is hard to spot at first, until they start shooting. They can carry any kind of gears or bags or cameras, depending on their financial standing, and some in appearance can look really pro-like... but when they start shooting, their image straight away koyak...

>> The Old Birds: This one, must be careful! Mostly middle aged uncles and aunties! They can be seen using very simple manual Nikon cameras. But don't look down on them, their eyes can beat your several thousand dollars DSLR metering system ah!! They may take longer to focus compose and shoot, but the pictures they produce are largely the kinds that can hang on the wall....

>> The Collector: alamak.. this one hard to describe. There are both really good photogs and really bad ones as well in this category. But key thing to note in photogs in this cat.; they will ALWAYS be seen with the LATEST model of any camera make! Cannot tahan...
Basically they will buy new camera bodies, then go around shooting to test and try it out. After that, it will be consigned into their cavernous dry cabinets.... or sometimes, sold...
And they are more technical than creative in photography.

Well, that's about all I observed with regards to the word "Pro". In my opinion, Pro simply means you are making a living doing what you do. Nothing else.

Good definition! :thumbsup:

Being a photographer for more than 30 years, I fear the aunties and uncles group most (due to my age, I am already beginning to join this group). They don't waste 'bullets' like most younger photogs. Just like SAF snipers, their philosophy is "one shoot, one kill'.

They don't waste 'bullets' like most younger photogs.

*mumbles something about technology advancement* I don't like it heh. :sticktong

And I still think the best way to learn is from the basics. (although some may argue that it is no longer necessary with all the new fancy equipment that automates or makes things user friendly)

How many are still familiar with command-line based interfaces on the computer? Or understand the source-coding behind the program you are running. Heh. Easily half or more of the "computer literate" aren't.

Similar to photography... Photography is about light. Great photographers are masters at using light. Understand fully how the light works and you are well on your way...

You can take photographs with the most advanced camera, but if you don't understand the light. Your works will always fall short.

Status
Not open for further replies.