newbie getting a K-R !

estrangable

Aug 5, 2010
Hi folks

planning to join the pentax family by getting a kr. my gf first initial response to pentax - "what is pentax..pls go get a canon or nikon"....what more can i say?

A couple of questions -

1) as a newbie to dslr, which package should i get - there are 3 options available in emjay and slr revolution -
a) Pentax kr 18-55 kit (Pink, White, Black) = $910
b) Pentax kr 18-55, 50-200 Dual kit (Black) = $1060
c) Pentax kr 18-55, 55-300 Dual kit (Black) = $1188

Apologies but i am really really new...which one is a better buy?

2) how does the camera compare to nikon D5000 since the price is almost the same

Thanks a lot!

"what is pentax..pls go get a canon or nikon" - I get that all the time.

I suggest u get 55-300 package, if u dont mind black.
I bought the 55-200 kx package, but still went to buy the 300mm to play ard with.

Here's a random search on google regarding Kr n D5000, http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_D5000-vs-Pentax_K-r

Last edited:
most low/mid level dslrs are almost the same especially for newbies, like me.

so best if you can hold it in yr hands to compare.
Play around with the menus and feel to decide which you are comfortable with.

You can also go DP review to check out the differences. Other than the technical specs, the d5000 has a swivel lcd screen, but the k-r has a bigger better screen. K-r can also take in AA batteries with an adaptor.

For the lens, most prefer the 50-300mm than the 50-200mm. But if do not need the zoom, just get the 18-55 kit lens, then better some better lenses later.

I'm getting the 35mm with my K-r, and waiting for the 18-135mm

Go for option 3. You won't be disappointed :)

As to comparing w/ Nikon D5000, I've never used that camera. But I'd rather go for D7000 if I'd go for a Nikon.

another quick question - where is a better place to get it? From Emjay or SLR?? is the same price?

Cos' SLR doesnt allow credit card purchase...

another quick question - where is a better place to get it? From Emjay or SLR?? is the same price?

Cos' SLR doesnt allow credit card purchase...

huh? who tell u SLR dun accept credit card? Most of retail shop will accept credit card, they will only charge you certain %....I just bought my DA35 macro there with my credit card ;)

"what is pentax..pls go get a canon or nikon" :D

Use a Pentax. Hold a Legend ;)
http://www.photoxels.com/history_pentax.html

I would suggest either option a) if budget is limited and decide later on the tele zoom (get one 2nd hand cheap in BnS) or option c) if you can spare the cash.

D5K?
Let the photos tell the story.

Kx ISO3200 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/FULLRES/KXINBI03200.HTM

D5K ISO3200 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D5000/FULLRES/D5000INBI3200.HTM

Kx ISO6400 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/FULLRES/KXINBI06400.HTM

D5K ISO6400 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D5000/FULLRES/D5000INBI6400.HTM

Kr samples are not out yet on Imaging Resource, but is generally considered to be the same if not better (by half stop) compared to the Kx.

Last edited:
Hi folks

planning to join the pentax family by getting a kr. my gf first initial response to pentax - "what is pentax..pls go get a canon or nikon"....what more can i say?

A couple of questions -

1) as a newbie to dslr, which package should i get - there are 3 options available in emjay and slr revolution -
a) Pentax kr 18-55 kit (Pink, White, Black) = $910
b) Pentax kr 18-55, 50-200 Dual kit (Black) = $1060
c) Pentax kr 18-55, 55-300 Dual kit (Black) = $1188

Apologies but i am really really new...which one is a better buy?
Thanks a lot!

Any reasons why you're not considering the cheaper K-x?

Go for option 3.

DAL 55-300mm is really a very powerful and value for money lens.

I bought my k-x with DAL 50-200mm...

But in the end, I sold my 50-200mm and get a 55-300mm in the end . The 50-200mm is good but the 55-300mm lens is even better

Trust the expert here....When i first wanna get a camera..Pentax never come in my mind at all.....but when i get my K-X I love loving it!!!!I have no regret getting a Pentax and now i even dun look at other camera. The only bad thing is u will kena the BBB virus for lenses....

slr accept credit card but just need to pay extra % ...

Trust the expert here....When i first wanna get a camera..Pentax never come in my mind at all.....but when i get my K-X I love loving it!!!!I have no regret getting a Pentax and now i even dun look at other camera. The only bad thing is u will kena the BBB virus for lenses....

thats true for every brand... not just pentax :bsmilie:

Hijack abit, If anyone just wants a K-r 18-55 kit, can I share the 55-300mm from kit 3 thanks

Any reasons why you're not considering the cheaper K-x?

it's just a few hundred dollars more...might as well get a newer model. Anyway prob will go down on tuesday to do a comparsion between KR vs Nikon D3100

Heard alot of good things abt this D3100 and it's only 835...prob will do a comparsion before deciding

Heard alot of good things abt this D3100 and it's only 835...prob will do a comparsion before deciding
D3100 vs K-r??
update us the result..:devil::devil:

it's just a few hundred dollars more...might as well get a newer model. Anyway prob will go down on tuesday to do a comparsion between KR vs Nikon D3100

see my sig in red.

So you mean Pentax users are not as good as Nikon users? Nikon is a lot more well-known and famous than Pentax nowadays :dunno:
interprete it as you wish.

I like to think thats its not the camera but rather the photographer that makes and sells the picture.

TS, what i recommend is write down what you want to do with the DSLR system and then compare which system actually will do what you want.

eg, do you want it to be small enough to smuggle into concerts or so robust that you can take pictures during a hurricane or even support for specialized activities like underwater photography and so on.

but if you are already fixed on the K-R, now is a good time as any to point out what you want to do so that we can recommend what accessories to get for your field of photography.

Last edited: