Newbie Gallery

jk1881

Feb 9, 2010
Hi Everyone

i am a newbie and sometimes when we take photo we dare not post it online but we really need those shifu comments and advice.

can we set up a newbie gallery for all newbie to post their 1st shot and get comments

its just a suggestion :)

Hi Everyone

i am a newbie and sometimes when we take photo we dare not post it online but we really need those shifu comments and advice.

can we set up a newbie gallery for all newbie to post their 1st shot and get comments

don't worry getting slammed, who slam you we will slam him/her back.......... just joking..... lol

anyway, you can consider using Critique Corner if you are looking for more in depth comments.

if Critique Corner is too intimidating, just post at respective gallery and state "don't slam me, I'm a newbie"

nice one
newbie in progress....

Hi Everyone

Just post the photo in the respective gallery (eg. Landscapes, Portraits, etc).
As uncle catchlights said, mention that you are a newbie when you post your photo.
Of course this doesn't mean that you should post up random snapshots. Put up 2 or 3 (at most) photos which you have put thought into composing and getting right.
There's really no use critiquing a snapshot. If no thought went into taking it, what improvements can one hope to achieve?

Last edited:
My logic is different, please go to respective gallery or posting to view and learn from other senior photographer. Go out and shoot and try to learn your mistake, when you are ready then post it to the forum, otherwise when people talk some photographic technology you might not able to understand.

Enjoy your shooting.

Cheers!

I agree that one shouldn't be too hasty to post photos on forum.
That being said, taking photos and getting critique is one of the "tried and tested" ways of improving one's photography.

btw, I don't quite understand how you arrived at the conclusion of understanding the photographic techonolgy by shooting first and only posting when ready.

I agree that one shouldn't be too hasty to post photos on forum.
That being said, taking photos and getting critique is one of the "tried and tested" ways of improving one's photography.

btw, I don't quite understand how you arrived at the conclusion of understanding the photographic techonolgy by shooting first and only posting when ready.

Let say when people talk about term of shutter speed, partial metering, ISO, different type of lens and etc, the photographer must able to understand what it mean. It will be good to know your camera and how to control the camera and create the image that you wish to have and if possible know how it will turnout before you shoot.

It will be good just post your photo when you are ready or reach some level of standard.

There are guideline for the forum:

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254371
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371192

Cheers!

thanks everyone for the comments
so conclusion is dare dare shoot and dare dare post after u know all the terms of photograhpy

not saying that you must know ALL the terms la ;)
but say for example that you don't understand about something like ISO-speed and noise... that means this was probably not in your consideration when you took the photo.

So for example you set at auto-ISO and the camera chose ISO1600 for a tripod-mounted night shot.
I suppose you might get "why use ISO1600? Your photo so noisy" quite often in your critique... which is something that you should have known earlier.

but i mean... it's no harm to make this sort of mistake when first learning la. With the proliferation of digital photography, lots more people are taking up photography more seriously. Chances are there will be lots of newbies too eager to shoot before really grounding themselves in the basics... after all, the photos are free! :)

so conclusion is dare dare shoot and dare dare post after u know all the terms of photograhpy
just take one step at a time, don't have to wait till you know everything, chose one or two shots from an outing, which is you think is the best, post it and seek comments for improvement.

if you are sincere in doing this, many people will be very gladly to help you. you will get better and better in your photography

anyway, there are some people post picture here is to seek attention, does not like other to give comments, especially very direct on the weak point of the photos, some time they even retaliate to constructive comments being given by helpful members, usually these people will be forgotten very soon, since they think they are already good enough, comments are not welcomed.

i don't understand, if you post it up online, also will have everyone go and see.......?

everyone starts from somewhere, whatever shifu is commenting also has had his fair share of shitty photos and bad days and starting period where he shot rubbish and realised later on that it was rubbish.

no one hits the ground running. don't be afraid, most of the time if people give nonsensical unwarranted comments they will be weeded out quickly by the moderators.

just a word of advice - when people comment on YOUR SHOTS, they are commenting on YOUR SHOTS, not YOU, so don't have to equate to "this photo is lousy" to "you are lousy", which is a common trap that most newcomers fall into. it's just a shot, if people don't like it, use that negative feeling you feel , leash it to do better. cheers.

anyway, there are some people post picture here is to seek attention, does not like other to give comments, especially very direct on the weak point of the photos, some time they even retaliate to constructive comments being given by helpful members, usually these people will be forgotten very soon, since they think they are already good enough, comments are not welcomed.

they usually go to sugarcandylands, e.g. deviantart, flickr, and stay there forever. :bsmilie:

not really, terms are what you learn as you go along.

what is important is what you are shooting for - to make yourself happy? to receive praise? or do you want to recreate beauty that you see, show it to others, show them a glimmer of what you felt when you shot what you shot?

there are many approaches to shooting, dare dare shoot, dare dare post is perhaps not a horrible start, but sooner or later you have to move on from shooting for the sake of having something to show. ;)

thanks everyone

welcome jk1881:cool:

hey night86mare ... your words are encouraging.

newbies !!! (including myself) get going n dont be disheartened by nagative feedbacks.

You haven't followed uncle catchlights' advice, which is to choose 1 or 2 photos
and seek critique (not just "pls comment").

In what area are you seeking improvement? Those
look like random snapshots to me.
They're sharp and quite well-exposed, is pretty much all I can comment.