Newbie for portraits lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MitColt78

May 23, 2009
hi all! am a newbie here that is interested to explore more into portraits shots. currently using a 450D with kit lens 18-55mm and a 55-250mm lens. read a lot about the 50mm f1.8, seems like its a pretty decent portrait lens to have as its pretty cheap. just wana ask the bros here whether with the 18-55mm, would i still need the 50mm f1.8 if i wana explore more into portraits shot?

If you're gonna be shooting in low light then get the 50mm f/1.4

theres a lot of difference between that and the 50mm f/1.8

hi all! am a newbie here that is interested to explore more into portraits shots. currently using a 450D with kit lens 18-55mm and a 55-250mm lens. read a lot about the 50mm f1.8, seems like its a pretty decent portrait lens to have as its pretty cheap. just wana ask the bros here whether with the 18-55mm, would i still need the 50mm f1.8 if i wana explore more into portraits shot?

The 50 f/1.4 is preferred over f/1.8 II in terms of pic quality, built and incorporation of USM.

hey guys , i also have a question abt the above mentioned lens. is it worth buying it?

and a total newbie question, is the zoom fixed or i 'll be able to zoom in and out?

A 50mm 1.8 is a PRIME lens, which means you cannot zoom.
A 18-55mm is a ZOOM lens, because you can "zoom" to any focal length between 18-55mm.

The 50mm 1.4 or 1.8 is a decent portrait lens on a DX Camera (Crop body), like the 450D, 1000D, D90 and D5000.
The 1.4 has a wider aperture, allowing you to have a shorter depth of field which means creamy smooth backgrounds. Cost is another thing though.

I think the 55-250mm can cover portraits well enough (At the tele end).

hey guys , i also have a question abt the above mentioned lens. is it worth buying it?

and a total newbie question, is the zoom fixed or i 'll be able to zoom in and out?

Hi there, the lens will be "fixed" at one focal length and so it is technically not called a "zoom". :)

Regarding the lens, i feel that the canon 50mm 1.8 is a great value for money and exciting new tool as a foray into portrait lens.

Hi all,
I am also considering 50mm 1.8.
currently I have only 18-55 is lens.
most of time I use to take photos of my daughter:), some times nature shots also.
So is it good enough to take photos inside house?(I donot like to take photos with flash)

Thanks,

At ƒ1.8 and bright indoor lighting, it should be enough at around ISO 400.

The 50 f/1.8 is is great portrait lens on a 1.6 body, and an amazing value. The key difference between the f/1.4 (or f/1.2) and the f/1.8 is build quality (metal mount, solid build, etc), and sharpness wide open. By f/2.2 my 50/1.8 is sharper than my 24-70, and by f/8 it's basically the sharpest lens I own (because it's the only prime I own).

You can take some very nice pictures with this lens, for so little money (in the US I bought the lens for USD99), it's almost a no brainer, regardless of any other lenses you own.

My 2c.

Hi all,
I am also considering 50mm 1.8.
currently I have only 18-55 is lens.
most of time I use to take photos of my daughter:), some times nature shots also.
So is it good enough to take photos inside house?(I donot like to take photos with flash)

Thanks,

Yes, the 50mm f1.8 is good enough for indoor shots without flash. Typically you will be using ISO400-800 for such shots at f/1.8-2.0 so that there will minimal blur from camera shake and kids movement. The 50mm fixed length has good enough range to fill the frame with the face without moving in too close.

It's worth investing in this, though if you have a bit more spare cash then go for the f/1.4 because the AF is faster and the build is more solid.

Buy it. Use it. You'll be happy.

juz bought today from CP @$125

cant get the effect....:sweat:

The starter prime lens for portraiture is usually the 50 mm f/1.8 because of the price and specifications. Actually no one said portraits must be taken with the 50 mm lens. It could very well be taken using a wider 35 mm lens or a longer one, which ever that gives you the effect you desire. My personal fav for portraits, though, is the 85 mm f/1.8.

juz bought today from CP @$125

cant get the effect....:sweat:

What effect? It's not a special effects lens. Maybe you should contact Industrial Light and Magic for help.

The starter prime lens for portraiture is usually the 50 mm f/1.8 because of the price and specifications. Actually no one said portraits must be taken with the 50 mm lens. It could very well be taken using a wider 35 mm lens or a longer one, which ever that gives you the effect you desire. My personal fav for portraits, though, is the 85 mm f/1.8.

In fact, any lens can be a portrait lens, depending on your shooting style.

thks for all the comments.

was think of achieving bokeh or blur background.....sorry i'm a newbie....

Status
Not open for further replies.