Newbie first try at night scene. Esplanade View taken from MBS across the river

kaixinxuan

Mar 27, 2012
7159760261_923bee3707_c.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

This is my first time doing night scene. This picture looks clear to me. But would like to know more about the exposure. Is it underexposed? Personally, I find the sky too dull. Is it because of the exposure?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

As this is my first try at night scene, the most basic thing which I hope to achieve is a clear picture with the correct camera settings. I did not do much on composition but only focused on one building hoping to get a clear picture as the basis.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

Taken around 8pm at night. Taken using Tamrom 18-200mm lens. ISO100, 47mm, f/9, 10".

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally I feel the picture is clear. But hope to have a sharper image.

Thanks all for the comments. Appreciate.

Not bad for a 1st attempt. Try shooting slightlier earlier, just after sunset, during the "blue hour" for a bluer sky. Can also try a longer exposure to blur out the water.
e.g.
7160060991_0c91890fba_o.jpg

Like what's been said, you can prob shoot between 7-8pm for nice blue skies. Your image is a little noisy...Otherwise maybe change the settings like f8 2.5sec iso 400 like below. I've a lousy sample taken at 10pm yesterday, but I just plop my cam on the floor and teach my friend, wasn't really shooting, u can try
sample

Last edited:
the best time to shoot is during magic hour, 20mins window after sunset, so it is about 7.25pm or so, 7.45pm is time to pack up and go home, shooting a black sky is wasting effort.

this is shot during magic hour.

try to keep in mind also not to cut the building on your right side

Thanks all for the valuablw comments. Will keep that in mind for my next shooting. Appreciate.

hi i'm not trying to show-off but you may want to take a look at the critique for my previous shots:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/critique-corner/1060013-another-singapore-cbd-cityscape-=p.html
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/crit...nother-singapore-cbd-cityscape-part-2-=p.html

I made similar mistakes so you can learn from the seniors' input (some kindly repeated here heh)

basically these kind of shots are considered 'deliberate' shots so there a some general 'requirements':
- good that you got your verticals straight
- good that the signs are not overblown
- I think the general exposure is underexposed, though if you push up overall exposure the signs will be blown
- the sky as you pointed out is dull. And as the seniors have pointed out will need to come back when there is better light
- cutting off of building wise I also got problem... with the skyline quite continuous quite hard to decide how to compose... may have to do some panorama stitching or find another angle

anyway nice try! I took quite some time to get to my above shots then realise there's still so much technical stuff to remember before even going into better composition

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments to make my shooting better. Went to the same place again during the "blue" hour. Managed to get a more vibrant shot as below. Appreciate :)

7351587848_1b1d2db2cd_z.jpg

nicer skies compared to previous...seems like there'r some flare...probably ensure remove filter for night scene...

nice! :thumbsup:
not often singapore sky is this clear =)

though this time the verticals are leaning inwards and horizon looks slightly off ;)

Last edited:
nice! :thumbsup:
not often singapore sky is this clear =)

though this time the verticals are leaning inwards and horizon looks slightly off ;)

it is illusion, bro, illusion.
i hv made a measurement onscreen, LOL, and vertical distance of horizon seems to be quite consistent.

Hi what do you mean by vertical lines off? Care to explain more so that i can take note? Thanks so much :)

i hv made a measurement onscreen, LOL, and vertical distance of horizon seems to be quite consistent.

oops ok I'm quite hopeless judging the horizon by eye... have to use bubble level

Hi what do you mean by vertical lines off? Care to explain more so that i can take note? Thanks so much :)

it means there's 'converging verticals', you can see the buildings on the left leaning to the right and buildings on the right leaning to the left
when shooting buildings they are supposed to be straight up, and our eyes/mind automatically corrects for it when looking upwards, however the camera can't, that's why the buildings look like they're leaning over
you can do a search online and read all about it, but basically when your camera sensor plane is not parallel to the building, you will get that effect. You may check out this article on how to level the horizon, or use a bubble level:
Confessions of a Sensory Addict: Leveling horizon in complex compositions

nice shot! and i learnt about verticals today! =)

Now you have nailed the "blue" hour. Perhaps you can improve on right now is your composition :)

The below image is great though...

Cheers! ;)

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments to make my shooting better. Went to the same place again during the "blue" hour. Managed to get a more vibrant shot as below. Appreciate :)

7351587848_1b1d2db2cd_z.jpg

This one looks fantastic! The color distribution and the feeling of depth are so impressed.
If any suggestion has to be given, mine is that you may try different aperture/shutter speed combination, to have a clearer reflection on the water.
Cheers.

The horizon is tilted.

And TS, remove your filter.