newbie first dslr

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix rising

Mar 2, 2006
L.I.N.Y
Hi, This is my first dslr I have found this camera to take acceptable quality pictures but I'm have a bit of a problem with noise the camera is a d50 with an Nikon dx18-70ed with the on camera flash on and in ap mode iso 1600 some of the pictures taken inside have noise in them only in the darker areas like a person wearing a black shirt or just in the darker areas in general is there a setting I'm over looking I bought a flash sb 600flash set up I haven't experimented with it yet all feed back will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Wow!!!

Kind of difficult to read such a long sentence.

Flash + ISO1600 ???

Care to post a pic (+ exif) for all to see?

phoenix rising said:
Hi, This is my first dslr I have found this camera to take acceptable quality pictures but I'm have a bit of a problem with noise the camera is a d50 with an Nikon dx18-70ed with the on camera flash on and in ap mode iso 1600 some of the pictures taken inside have noise in them only in the darker areas like a person wearing a black shirt or just in the darker areas in general is there a setting I'm over looking I bought a flash sb 600flash set up I haven't experimented with it yet all feed back will be greatly appreciated thanks.

ahh i understand, yeah the d50 and d70 have noise handling problems above iso 800, the flash will let you use a lower iso value and therefore help reduce the noise.

Hope this helps

sorry,thanks for the tip. I also wanted to say I was shooting f4.5 at 50mm would the focal length made a difference with noise.thanks again

Hi phoenix rising,

I think u should not use such a high ISO. Normally we use high ISO only if the light condition is low. It is common that higher ISO will give us more noise. Since u r using flash, i don't see the reason y u need to push ur ISO to 1600.

Correct me if i m wrong. Thanks. :D

phoenix rising said:
sorry,thanks for the tip. I also wanted to say I was shooting f4.5 at 50mm would the focal length made a difference with noise.thanks again

only iso affects noise level... sounds like u r very new.. iso or asa is film sensitivity to light..

yes, very green you might say. thanks again for all the info.

ya normally i dun use so high iso, unless it's really necessary, like in really dark places and when flash is not allowed. i'm not sure bout the d50, but the d70 has a noise reduction function, though it takes up more time. it's more for when the exposure time is 1 sec or more. not sure if the d50 has this function too?

D50 also have, for exposures > 1 sec.
Don't think it kicks in with shutter speeds faster than that...:think:

nazure

Status
Not open for further replies.