Newbie experimenting with Macro - Raynox 250 and 150

KitKatKiat

Jan 9, 2012
Singapore, Punggol
twitter.com
I'm intending to buy a raynox DCR-250 and 150 set to take subjects like insects and flowers, and maybe even still photography.
Which is better to take the above mentioned subjects, the 250 or 150? (I heard 150 is better to take insects and flowers .....)
After reading on a few threads and doing some reasearch, I also concluded that mounting on my 50mm f/1.8 will give the optimum result? Is this true? :sweat:

I'm currently using canon 600D.

Thanks!! ;)

Hi, You are better off getting a reversing lens adapter for your 50mm F1.8.It becomes a manual lens but it's quality is a lot better and cheaper too.

Hi, You are better off getting a reversing lens adapter for your 50mm F1.8.It becomes a manual lens but it's quality is a lot better and cheaper too.

I've considered the reverse ring .... and extension tubes but I think I'll go for the raynox.
I'm intending to get the raynox first, then I can mount the raynox on my macro lens(If I buy one in the near future, probably a canon 100mm?) for better magnification, right?

Am I on the right path??

To get 1:1 on Raynox 250, you will need about ~100mm

You may want to consider the amount of magnification you need, the working distance you are comfortable with and your subject.

Personally, I've used Raynox 250 on both my 18-55, 50 and 55-250 for my flowers subject. The working distance is aprox 10-12cm. But the Raynox 150 will have a longer working distance. (refer to: http://www.mcgill.com.sg/images/DCR-250a.pdf)

If you find 10cm too short, consider raynox150 instead. But it's pretty much useless on a 50mm.

I own the ranox 250 and entension tube. so this is my experience.
if u are using a 50mm
Raynox: minimum focusing distance is 12cm - 8cm + -

Extension tube usually come in 3 parts. to get the same magnification as raynox 250 u'll be using the 20mm extension tube
working distance is 13cm - 16cm. yes u get light loss but using a well diffused flash will help.

If i am going out for street shoot i'll jus bring along the raynox as it fits on and off easily.
but if im going for a strictly macro shoot i'll use full 3 pieces of extension tube to get more magnification.