Newbie: D60 vs D90

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparcoray

May 15, 2005
Singapore
Hi Bros,

Can the bros & sis here share with me as a newbie whether D60 vs D90 is it comparable in terms of useability, budget and upgrade-ability for me as a newbie?
Hehehe... very new to the world of DSLR world:bsmilie:

get the D90.
better AF system, better ISO performance, better IQ, faster and much more reliable AF, better metering, larger VF.

D60 is cheaper, but it can't AF w/ older lenses.
It may be cheaper, but D90 may save you money in other aspects.

btw, google is your best friend.

Hi Bros,

Can the bros & sis here share with me as a newbie whether D60 vs D90 is it comparable in terms of useability, budget and upgrade-ability for me as a newbie?

Did you do a side-by-side comparison? Do you even understand the limitations of the D60?

Thanks for the advice.

Infact some terms I don't understand.. In fact, I'm very new to DSLR.

Maybe getting a brand new D40 would be good for me to start of since I don't have old lenses.

Thanks for the advice.

Infact some terms I don't understand.. In fact, I'm very new to DSLR.

Maybe getting a brand new D40 would be good for me to start of since I don't have old lenses.

D40, D60, the main difference is the sensor. The D40 is obsolete; best to just get a second-hand Nikon/Canon/Sony for cheaper.

and remember: DO NOT get a DSLR unless you are fully aware of the limitations (size and bulk) and the peripherals (dry cabinet, more lenses, flash, etc).

it's a big difference from a point-and-shoot, so think hard if it's what you really want.

Hi Bros,

maybe u can try this :http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=1316-d51d9da185
the sensor and d90 is the same.. just the lens is diff and some fuction :)
hope this help you .

If you're looking for a totally newbie camera, without the AF module in the camera, then consider the D3000.

The D90 is a slightly higher end camera as it has a AF motor within the body and more functions. Read more on the terms and technical aspects. :)

Thanks all for ur kind advises... as for limitations, I'm still learning from the bros & sis here.

d3000 with guide mode can help u.

to save some cost but no guide mode, get the d5000

are you certain that DSLR photography is a hobby you're very keen on and willing to spend a decent amount of $$$ on?
If not sure, I recommend a 2nd hand entry-level camera.
regardless whether you give up DSLR photography, or choose to pursue it further by upgrading to a more advanced model, the 2nd hand camera can be sold off for a small loss, unlike if you buy a brand new one to start this hobby.

since u said u very new in dslr, get watever u can afford and start understand the dslr cam, rent one for weekend better still

cheers

I always wanted to go into DSLR for a few years but to start as a hobby and also budget constraints... agreed to start with a 2nd hand DLSR to minimize the losses but also depends on luck too for the quality you get from the seller.

Dude, get a 2nd-hand D90 body and 50mm f/1.8 (with UV filter) for starters. Get a decent-sized SD card and start snapping away!

D60 is limited and can be frustrating if you want to explore more options next time. I'd rather spend more to get the D90 than to regret and spend more trying to upgrade in the future. If you only going to take nice family photographs, a PnS will do.

Just my $0.02.

since u said u very new in dslr, get watever u can afford and start understand the dslr cam, rent one for weekend better still

cheers

Renting is not a bad idea. Or if you can borrow it if your friend trusts you. From my experience, you can read all the reviews/discussions you want or even hold it in camera shops but nothing beats using it for a day or two (or three) to get a hands-on feeling.

If given the choice D60/D90, I would pick D90, although the body is more expensive, you can save a bit on lens since the in-body motor in D90 lets you use some non AF-S lens. Plus you get 11-point AF as opposed to 3-point AF.

Dude, get a 2nd-hand D90 body and 50mm f/1.8 (with UV filter) for starters. Get a decent-sized SD card and start snapping away!

D60 is limited and can be frustrating if you want to explore more options next time. I'd rather spend more to get the D90 than to regret and spend more trying to upgrade in the future. If you only going to take nice family photographs, a PnS will do.

Just my $0.02.

Agreed. Get a used camera! But do consider Sony, Pentax or Olympus. They have more features ... anti-shake built-in the body!

Agreed. Get a used camera! But do consider Sony, Pentax or Olympus. They have more features ... anti-shake built-in the body!

Do read up more first. After-all, you're buying into a system. Changing the whole lot of gear later on when you find out something is not what you like will be pretty expensive.

I think it is better for you to think about the budget first... afterall this is for hobby... just remember this hobby is more than just a camera and lenses... it required other things, filter, dry cab, tripod/monopod, flash, bag...

actually u can take ur time to learn as u go along, don't need one shot get everything. You wont be using them all at at time too, get the necessity like body and lens to try out and understand how it goes..then slowly as time comes when u knew any good offers u can grab one by one..If I were u , I will choose the D90 due to it's versatility. Right now the package should be around $1.6k with a free len.

2 cents from a recent (and still am a) newbie.

Look for a decent condition 2nd hand D40 (without warranty), you can probably find one at $400 to $500 with kit lens. Give yourself 6 months to play with it and at the end, note how many pictures you took with it. If you used your point and shoot much more, then DSLR is probably not for you. Sell it off, you probably wouldn't have lost too much $$. Compared to buying a new point and shoot with little resale value, a used D40 is probably a much better investment! If you are craving for better functions, longer zooms and sharper primes at that stage, you can still consider upgrading to a D90 and be confident that you know what you are getting into.

Status
Not open for further replies.