newbie contemplating a compact micro four third camera

zilch

Jul 8, 2015
singapore
hi guys, my first virgin post. would like to ask the experienced ones around here which is a better choice among:

1) panasonic dmc gf6
2) olympus EPL 1
3) samsung nx100

my budget around 250-300, and i guess would have to get a second hand one. my needs are mainly compact, more for macro/closeup shots as i do casual trekking and exploring of plant and small animal life etc. i also read that most micro 4:3 cams do not have a viewfinder ? is viewfinder an important part for the camera in taking pics ? much info and help would be appreciated :)

Is there any reason you aren't considering a fixed-lens compact? Without some background on you, it's hard to recommend anything, but assuming you're total newbie, without any camera experience...

You might want to steer clear of the older models. Not because you can't get good results, but the improvements over the years have improved usability. And 4-5 years old cams may be more likely to have/develop faults, minor or major. Which means for a modest budget, a decent newer compact (eg. Panasonic LX series, Canon Powershot S series) may be better for you. You can get good results in good light, and enough control to learn photography basics

Viewfinder? Good to have, and they are available as add-ons for many mirrorless cameras. Or use the LCD for viewing, composition and control, for now.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome :)

Based on these comparisons, I'd probably choose the GF6 (2013) over the E-PL1 (2010), unless having a hotshoe was very important to me.
http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GF6-vs-Olympus-PEN-E-PL1
http://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/olympus/e-pl1/vs/panasonic/gf6/

Am not familiar with the nx100, but note that it's also a 2010 camera like the E-PL1.

MFT cameras do not have built-in optical viewfinders, but a good number of them have built-in electronic viewfinders (EVF). For example, 8 of the 17 models listed here have built-in EVFs.

Olympus has a add-on EVF hotshoe accessory which can be used with their PEN series cameras like the E-PL1.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lectronic_Viewfinder_Silver.html/prm/alsVwDtl
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4_electronic_viewfinder_for.html/prm/alsVwDtl

I find an EVF useful primarily in sunny scenarios (you know how it's sometimes hard to read your mobile phone in bright sunlight?), it also gives an additional point of stability in certain situations (if you're used to using a DSLR). Other than that, I wouldn't say it's 'important'. A lot of people get by without using it.

woh thanks so much kandinsky for the detailed sharing and reply :) yea am worried about the problem of the one you mentioned like hp under bright sun and you cant see much from the screen itself. if i were to get the gf6 as a start, would it be enough to take some macro shots or do i still need to buy special lens for it?

also what other basic neccessary items/accessories i will need should i get a camera. i see that photographers need a so called dry box to store their cam and equipments? do i need to buy a special outdoor bag for it as well?

still reading up scattered here and there haha, im have no idea what a fix len compact is also. yea im a total newbie without any experience or knowledge. anyway thanks for the info sharing too :)

Is there any reason you aren't considering a fixed-lens compact? Without some background on you, it's hard to recommend anything, but assuming you're total newbie, without any camera experience...

You might want to steer clear of the older models. Not because you can't get good results, but the improvements over the years have improved usability. And 4-5 years old cams may be more likely to have/develop faults, minor or major. Which means for a modest budget, a decent newer compact (eg. Panasonic LX series, Canon Powershot S series) may be better for you. You can get good results in good light, and enough control to learn photography basics

Viewfinder? Good to have, and they are available as add-ons for many mirrorless cameras. Or use the LCD for viewing, composition and control, for now.

still reading up scattered here and there haha, im have no idea what a fix len compact is also. yea im a total newbie without any experience or knowledge. anyway thanks for the info sharing too :)

Not trying to sound sarcastic or anything but nowadays when friends who have no experience in photography asks me which camera they should get, I would answer iPhone6. It fulfills all your needs, yields great image quality in good light.

Most importantly, you don't have to bring an additional item when you go out. Better to go down this route than to buy a camera and leave it to gather dust at home after the 1st 3 weeks.

hi guys, my first virgin post. would like to ask the experienced ones around here which is a better choice among:

1) panasonic dmc gf6
2) olympus EPL 1
3) samsung nx100

my budget around 250-300, and i guess would have to get a second hand one. my needs are mainly compact, more for macro/closeup shots as i do casual trekking and exploring of plant and small animal life etc. i also read that most micro 4:3 cams do not have a viewfinder ? is viewfinder an important part for the camera in taking pics ? much info and help would be appreciated :)

You can get brand new export set samsung nx3000 at only $300+ on qoo10, just saying. In terms of tech, it's much better than the 3 models u have mentioned. The kit lens will do for most situations, but if u need to do really close up macro, u will need a macro lens and lights.

thanks so much silvermoon for the helpful info :) i will go read up abit on the nx3000 model you mentioned

You can get brand new export set samsung nx3000 at only $300+ on qoo10, just saying. In terms of tech, it's much better than the 3 models u have mentioned. The kit lens will do for most situations, but if u need to do really close up macro, u will need a macro lens and lights.

Eh Epl1? Even people are selling Epl4 or 5 cheap and currently EPL7 whereas gf6 is a different beast, and samsung... from my experience, I wouldn't touch it anymore.