Newbie considering DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

darrrrrrrrrr

Sep 19, 2006
Singapore
Hi everyone, my first post here.. I'm considering picking up DSLR photography and I'm doing a bit of shopping right now. Not exactly sure which camera's best for entry-level with possible room for expansion in the future. Going out to test with Timber_Wolf this weekend, and I've read possibly every single review there is online. Just would like to hear some opinions from you all. :)

Here's what I'm looking at so far:
Pentax K100D
Pentax K10D (but it's probably going to take awhile to arrive, at an unknown price, and it may even end up in shortage for quite a while?)
Sony A100
Nikon D50/70s/80 (okay D80 is a little out of my budget)
Canon 400D

Hoping not to spend too close to $2k since I'm just starting out. Advice? Thanks

Darren

D50 is good & cheap

All the DSLRs you listed here are very good.
Indeed, there are no bad cameras, except photographers. :bsmilie:

If your budget is $2k and below, I will definitely recommend you a D50.
For this amount of money, you can start off with a body & 18-55 kit lens, sigma 70-300 apo macro, sb600 flashlight, a remote & a tripod.
If you buy 2nd hand from B&S, you can even get a better deal.
By the time your skill is better, and you think photography is going to be your
lifetime passion, you can upgrade to better lens and body.

Happy shooting and shopping pal. :)

Not a good idea to go with the Pentax?

Seems to offer more for the price than the D50 with image stabilization etc, though I've heard concerns abt the upgrade path in the future.. Thanks a lot for the feedback so far!

pentax is the best bang for bucks... but i will go with either Nikon or Canon since most of my friend are using these system which also means that I get to borrow or test out different lenses.

darrrrrrrrrr said:
Not a good idea to go with the Pentax?

Seems to offer more for the price than the D50 with image stabilization etc, though I've heard concerns abt the upgrade path in the future.. Thanks a lot for the feedback so far!

Personally, I'm not bias against any brand.
The Pentax K100D and K10D had some very good review.
Pentax choices of lenses may be less compare to N & C, but
they should have what you want for your needs.
You can always get help from the Pentax forum, as I
believe there will be ppl to help you there too.
If the K100D and K10D do well in the market, I believe
they will roll out more lenses.
Usual advice is to go try out the DSLRs you have shortlisted
and choose the one you like best.

Thanks! Will spend some time trying out the cams themselves and make a better decision from there.

Sure hope Pentax manages to break into the mainstream with the release of the new models, especially the K10D.

Does anyone have any estimates regarding the arrival of K10D, price range, and whether new models like this will be in shortage upon release? Not sure if it's worth holding out for a couple of months..:think:

Hi,

All the cameras you have listed are good. Do a comparison between them and see what is missing among them and see if it's critical to you to have those functions and get a feel of the cams. You have to be comfortable with the cam. For myself, i find the A100 too light for me so i opted for a KM 7D instead. Good cam, no regrets. The amount of lens available should not be a problem, even if you are going for the Pentax. Chances are there will be one to cover what you need.

Enjoy shopping.

Hellooo dar bro =) Glad to see you here.

raptor84: Heheh.... u blur la. 7D is mine, Oly E500 is -her's- ^_^

QX

yo da tou!
anyway, ultimately what's most important is that you are comfortable with your camera. the job of the camera is to get out of the way of you making the great photo :D

cheers,

daniel

Hey Daniel!

Anyway I think I'd better watch my budget more and consider something more entry-level than to keep nudging my target skywards! Very excited though!

I felt the Nikon & Pentax K100D won't make you spend more than $2000 starting out. The rest will, for sure. And then your starting out includes external flash, accessories like bags, dry cabinet, extra battery those things etc? Must put all tat into consideration & you will swill spend over $2000. :bsmilie:

long and short. there is no such thing as the BEST one. so asking for advice like this is really quite pointless.
all have strenghts and weaknesses. its just which ones u prefer. so handle all of them. and choose according to ur own preference.
all can take good pictures.

if i can draw an analogy, getting a DSLR is like getting married. its a lifetime commitment to a single mount/brand. divorcing ur camera mount and moving toanother, is also like real life divorce - expensive and painful.

so would you ask ur friends, hmm, should i choose cheryl, or patricia or sarah? which one will i marry?no. u wouldnt. same for camera mount. try all, and decide for yourself.

darrrrrrrrrr said:
Hi everyone, my first post here.. I'm considering picking up DSLR photography and I'm doing a bit of shopping right now. Not exactly sure which camera's best for entry-level with possible room for expansion in the future. Going out to test with Timber_Wolf this weekend, and I've read possibly every single review there is online. Just would like to hear some opinions from you all. :)

Here's what I'm looking at so far:
Pentax K100D
Pentax K10D (but it's probably going to take awhile to arrive, at an unknown price, and it may even end up in shortage for quite a while?)
Sony A100
Nikon D50/70s/80 (okay D80 is a little out of my budget)
Canon 400D

Hoping not to spend too close to $2k since I'm just starting out. Advice? Thanks

Darren
:thumbsup: I will recommend you a D50 as i'm starting now.

jdredd said:
long and short. there is no such thing as the BEST one. so asking for advice like this is really quite pointless.
all have strenghts and weaknesses. its just which ones u prefer. so handle all of them. and choose according to ur own preference.
all can take good pictures.

if i can draw an analogy, getting a DSLR is like getting married. its a lifetime commitment to a single mount/brand. divorcing ur camera mount and moving toanother, is also like real life divorce - expensive and painful.

so would you ask ur friends, hmm, should i choose cheryl, or patricia or sarah? which one will i marry?no. u wouldnt. same for camera mount. try all, and decide for yourself.

Nice comments... If there is a best, then i for sure wouldn't be able to afford.

Wow, tat means i 'divorced' before. Quite expensive procedure... :bsmilie: a bit heart pain when is comes to the money needed when 'remarrying'... i'm a 'flirt' i think. :bsmilie: Always looking at other 'girls' also. :bsmilie:

Thanks for all the very useful comments everyone! Looking forward to the day I finally make the big leap of faith.

Daniel it seems ur signal-noise ratio prediction didn't come true.. ;p

Hahaha.... leap of faith.. nah. Money come out can liao.
Cya on fri! =)
QX

Status
Not open for further replies.