Newbie - Compact / DSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sills

May 28, 2005
Hi all,

My virgin post... ;p

I do not own any cameras now, but occasionally uses friend's digicam to P&S. My interest in photography seems building up & recently been reading infos about photography.

What I can't decide is whether to straight away get a DSLR e.g.: 20D or a compact e.g.: Exilim Z750.

I love to travel around, so scenery, nature, peoples, buildings shots I'm looking forward to. Besides, shooting marine fishes also my hobby ;)

Please advice...

If you intend to build up on your new system, if you get one, get the 20D. :)

sills said:
Hi all,

My virgin post... ;p

I do not own any cameras now, but occasionally uses friend's digicam to P&S. My interest in photography seems building up & recently been reading infos about photography.

What I can't decide is whether to straight away get a DSLR e.g.: 20D or a compact e.g.: Exilim Z750.

I love to travel around, so scenery, nature, peoples, buildings shots I'm looking forward to. Besides, shooting marine fishes also my hobby ;)

Please advice...

go get one compact p&s first.... enjoy shooting and bring it out :)

if you ask those who had DSLR do they have a compact? more than 90% will say yes!

i started off with a prosumer dc.

sills said:
Hi all,

My virgin post... ;p

Please advice...
If you really have the passion, then start off with a relatively good camera. I dun recommend ppl to go for compacts becoz you will find it a waste of money after a while. Start off with a prosumer camera (not that expensive nowadays) such as the famous panasonic fz20 or the nikon 8800.

Then when you are familiar with the basics of photographic theory such as shutter and aperture combination and have the sense of picture composition, then you might go on to a dslr (slr are quite uselss nowadays in the fast modern world). Consider an entry level if you are tight on budget, go ahead with confidence to a d2x if you are sure of what you are doing.

Whatever it may be, dslr bodies does not matter as much as the lenses used.

Happy Photographing,
Wilson

me too started w/ prosumer...olympus C750UZ.....Now holding D70...hehehehe.....is a brand new feeling...hehehehe

Yep... I am also using a D70 now. It is the photographer's ability to express that counts and definitely not your hasselblad or nikon d2x or canon 1ds mk2. No offence.

Fluorite said:
Yep... I am also using a D70 now. It is the photographer's ability to express that counts and definitely not your hasselblad or nikon d2x or canon 1ds mk2. No offence.

Agreed.It's the eye.If you lack the eye, even your Leica cannot save you.

Wow... thanks for all the advices, really appreciate it! ^^;

If I am to get a SLR-Like now, wouldn't it be same if I get a compact? Because in the future will be upgrading to a DSLR if everything goes well?

Ofcourse getting a SLR-Like will let me learn more things compare to a compact.

But I'm also thinking the compact may act as my casual shooting, while the DSLR may act as scenery shooting in the future..

How ah? Haha... want to get hold of a camera asap, been dragging this for ages.. ^^

dun so fast step into DSLR becoz it is very expensive...lens and etc will dry up ur wallet.....(i'm in this situation ^_^' but me no regret..hehehe)....buy prosumer n try to c u really like photography 1st....then u upgrade...as SLR investment is heavy...unless u r rich lar....wahahahaha.... ^_^

Fumio said:
The new Canon S2 IS may be your answer then! :D

It seems S2 IS is not out yet in SG?

Someone mentioned it will be available in the coming IT Show.

well if u confirm u be still interested in photography say in about 10yrs time then its good to start wif entry level DSLR. But if its just some passing clouds (few mths/yrs) for u then u better get a PnS with more functions (at most a prosumer). :)

Just to share my experience.

I start off with an A80 (just a consumer base manual enabled camera). Seriously I've learnt a lot more using this consumer camera, you will be restricted with certain feature which you have to find ways to work around it. So after this tough training, you will find DSLR is a lot easier to handle and you can concentrate on composition.

consider something like the sony f828..small, light, handles like a consumer-level SLR (with the likes of the manual zoom ring and viewing thru the optical finder when shooting). image quality is also quite respectable save for some minor issues (purple fringing)comes @ about $1500 new. u may like to hang on to something like this for a good few years since u consider yourself a newbie...unless u r dead serious to take the plunge fully into the world of DSLR because that will involve a whole new level of theory and handling which is quite different from normal consumer digicams

hi. I'm selling my FZ10 it is the older model of FZ20, but i packs a punch. I only used it for 2 months so it is very new...I'm going NS in june so sellling it.

Details Here

got to ask yourself whether you are as crazy as most of us, who will go for shoots almost every weekend?

ownership of DSLR is very X. the accessories and stuff can easily cost over 6k. you are warned! :bsmilie:

startup cost for dslr is expensive but cheaper to maintain. unless you kenna buy buy buy virus.

starup cost for slr is cheaper but expensive to maintain in longer runs. but pics produced are better if you know your camera well.

Thanks for sharing all your valuable experience & opinions. :embrass:

I intend to get a 2nd hand FZ20 to start my photography, waiting for a user to reply. ;)

NMSS_2 said:
got to ask yourself whether you are as crazy as most of us, who will go for shoots almost every weekend?

ownership of DSLR is very X. the accessories and stuff can easily cost over 6k. you are warned! :bsmilie:

startup cost for dslr is expensive but cheaper to maintain. unless you kenna buy buy buy virus.

starup cost for slr is cheaper but expensive to maintain in longer runs. but pics produced are better if you know your camera well.

Very true. Must shoot every weekend or the camera sit at home.
So when we gonna shoot and drink beer again? :bsmilie:

Will be getting the FZ20 tomorrow ;)

Will update the progress on how it goes :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.