Newbie canon user finding a mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvinyeo

Oct 8, 2009
hi guy

I am a Canon user

I am finding a mentor that can teach me how take a good photo hope someone can teach me thank you

from melvin

hi guy

I am a Canon user

I am finding a mentor that can teach me how take a good photo hope someone can teach me thank you

from melvin

Hello melvinyeo. A warm welcome to you. I am not a mentor that you are looking for.
But just curious, are you going to pay hourly rates for his service, or follow him as an apprenticeship like an assistant photographer... work like siao like that but gets no pay... something like that?

Hi Melvin, welcome to CS.
I dun think you will find any mentor/internship programs here.. then again, if you pay, things might be different.

The best way is to just sign up and join the folks for outings. Shoot and learn at the same time. :)

hi guy

I am a Canon user

from melvin

Welcome (again) Melvin,

You could start by writing a little 'resume' and describe yourself and your background (DON'T divulge private info on a public forum though), what areas of photographic experience you have and what you want to learn/achieve, as well as what sort of mentor you're looking for and what sort of arrangement you're comfortable with.

Such a post could be posted up in the services wanted section I guess, or continued here.

Sometimes, if two people can click, you might get a mentor FOC (yeah ... the magic word in SG!).

Sometimes, it might be better to pay for services of a professional individual or go to private photography classes organized by many individuals as well as businesses, and other times, do a barter trade (exchange the mentoring for your time and services).

Only you can determine what sort of deal works best for you, but do consider the pros and cons of each approach. (Almost) nothing if free in life ...

Ultimately, you would want your choice to be based on several factors (in no particular order):

1) How good a photographer is the candidate?
2) How willing to share is the candidate?
3) How good an educator is the candidate? Many who are great at doing may be quite horrendous at teaching.
4) How sounds is the candidate's technical knowledge?
5) How well do the two of you get along?
6) Do you share a similar photographic/artistic vision?
7) Can the two of you come up with a viable working arrangement that's comfortable to both?

I'm sure other members can add on to the list. :)

But first, have you read ALL your equipment manuals and at least a book on understanding the basics of light (in photography)? It's not about ED or L lenses, nor the latest and greatest bodies or flash, but it's ALL about LIGHT!

If not, I strongly recommend a visit to your local library.

At least that would show possible mentors a good attitude and willingness to do the necessary research and leg-work. :) Be patient in your search - the quality of your education may be a direct reflection of your thoroughness in your search ... and patience.

All the best and have a great adventure with photography!

Last edited:
hi guy

I am a Canon user

from melvin
Get a book from library and learn about camera controls as well as study the camera manual.

after that, might want to look at this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XbQZrZEbH8

Not exactly 1-1 but is a start.

hi guy

I am a Canon user

from melvin

Welcome to Clubsnap!

What do you mean by mentor, exactly?
If you just want someone to guide you along and show you how to operate your camera, and teach you the basics, look HERE for suitable group gatherings.

If you want a mentor to learn how to be a professional photographer, then the path that Dream Merchant suggested is a good one.

But I think you should first read about photography and experiment with your camera to familiarize yourself with it.

cheers!

thank u for ur advice guy btw if I go for the course do u think is they will give u certificate ?

thank u for ur advice guy btw if I go for the course do u think is they will give u certificate ?
If you are going just for certificate, save your money.

Why is the certificate important?
... and the truth is starting to come out...

I suspect you want some certification so you can tout your 'skills' as a photographer and charge $$?

If they do, it's worth as much as toilet paper. and almost all customers will know that.

Honestly, certification is for show... what prospective employers AND critics recognize is a portfolio.

As the other posters have said, welcome to CS, we're a community that is warm and helpful. Do spend some time trolling (Especially the stickied threads) to grab the basics, borrow a few books, test a few shots, then join a photoshoot (either free or paid) and learn from the folks there.

I joined with only PnS experience, but learnt quite a bit from Candleghost and his regulars over a few sessions. The models willing to pose for you to compose is a hefty bonus ;p

Cheers, and welcome.

I do think its a good idea.
PROVIDED you have been shooting for a while and is looking to 'step' up a notch. Not necessarily with going pro in mind. Almost like a portfolio review of sorts.

We get comfortable, people pat you on your back and begin to think we're taking reasonably good photos. It'll be really so helpful then for someone with experience to point out how I could have done better, mistakes I made, to improve from there.

Actually I've been harbouring this thought myself! Hope may find myself a mentor, free of course...lol:)

Last edited:
no la I don't need a certificate also because I saw some website they say got give so I willing to find put more about it.

everyday I received a lot of emails offering getting certs for PhD, Master without go thru courses, let me know if you are interested, I can forward you the emails.

Welcome (again) Melvin,

You could start by writing a little 'resume' and describe yourself and your background (DON'T divulge private info on a public forum though), what areas of photographic experience you have and what you want to learn/achieve, as well as what sort of mentor you're looking for and what sort of arrangement you're comfortable with.

Hi Melvin, you can ask DM be your mentor.

He is very senior and experience in photography industry.
He is very helpful to people when they are in need.
He is a hardcore Canon user.

I'll advice, before "Shoot more, Post more, Learn More..." to actually browse and SEE more..

Read more, browse sites like flickr, see photos that are rated good, and then slowly KNOW whats generally considered good photos.

I may not have the technical know-how to shoot like-wise good photos but at least I am learning to know and appreciate whats good without even picking up a camera.

IMHO, too many new shooters skipped this part, shoot LOTS then ask people if they're nice..what for. :)
You should be able to tell..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.