newbie buying guide.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

guoquan11

Feb 26, 2007
hi good day everyone....i am deciding to buy a SLK camera but a greenhorn in this area.

my budget is ard 1k-1.5k....is there any commendation for this price range?

Thought it should be a SLR not SLK;)

Maybe you should checkout the Nikon D40, and if you have more $$ the D80

You mean dSLR? SLK is a Mercedes...

There are quite a few recommendations, from Canon to Nikon to Pentax to Sony.

My advice: Go to the shops in funan, try all the cams. Hold them in your hand, try to take pics, try to access the buttons, get a feel for which is the most comfortable for you. Don't look at the brand for now. Just imagine holding that cam in your hands for hours on end. Which one feels best? That's what I did, and in the end it was a close call between nikon and sony.

Once you know for sure which ones you like, then come ask us for a comparison between the two.

:sweatsm: paiseh....

You mean dSLR? SLK is a Mercedes...

There are quite a few recommendations, from Canon to Nikon to Pentax to Sony.

My advice: Go to the shops in funan, try all the cams. Hold them in your hand, try to take pics, try to access the buttons, get a feel for which is the most comfortable for you. Don't look at the brand for now. Just imagine holding that cam in your hands for hours on end. Which one feels best? That's what I did, and in the end it was a close call between nikon and sony.

Once you know for sure which ones you like, then come ask us for a comparison between the two.

tks for the advice...but i would like to know wat i should look out for if i wana buy a dSLR....took a fancy for nikon d50....

tks for the advice...but i would like to know wat i should look out for if i wana buy a dSLR....took a fancy for nikon d50....

In all honestly, most of the features are similar. Things you should watch out for:

- Lens availability and price
Good for Nikon and canon. Sony/minolta lenses and Pentax are harder to find, but the quality of even the "cheap" ones is spectacular.

- Memory card format
No problems here... All accept cheap formats. Even the Sony accepts CF cards.

- Anti-shake
Built-in for Sony and Pentax. For nikon and Canon, you gotta buy the expensive IS/VR lenses.

- ISO noise: honestly a bit overblown. Canon has the "best" performance here, but pictures taken on the other cams even at ISO 1600 are pretty clear with almost no visible noise.

- AF speed: Canon and Sony are among the best, but in reality it depends heavily on your lens.

It really all balances out. Just get the one that "feels" best for you.

In addition to whichever camera (body) "feels" most comfortable for you, you might want to take into consideration which system (read brand of camera) your friends who owns dslr or af lens.
Chances are if you're good friends with them, they may lend you their prized lens for you to use/test. You won't have the pressure from salesman from camera shops & get to test the lens in more real world situations.
And if you're really really good friends, you may even strike up a deal that you need only buy those lens he/they don't have and share lens between the few of you.

You won't have the pressure from salesman from camera shops

For tis reason alone.... NEVER buy in Sim Lim!!!! Even AP is starting to have really weird tactics.

You can read Zoosh's Newbie guide to SLRs
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=245883

There's a wealth of information there, but you can skip and read only the portion that interests you.

By all means, please avoid any of the shops in Sim Lim to do your purchases. Go to Cathay Photo, MS Color or some of the reputed shops in Funan. Zoosh's guide has references to most of these shops and their addresses.

Good luck to you and welcome to the world of DSLR photography.

tks everyone for their valueable comments :)

Bro,

before you DIVE in, you may want to wait for the PMA 2007 trade fair happening next week - 8 to 11 Mar. Maybe can go shop on the 1st 2 days, and buy on the last day. May get better deals...

Status
Not open for further replies.