Newbie Buying DIgi cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny03

Jul 4, 2005
Hi

I used to own a canon A70 cam for 2yrs and this few days it fail on me. Sent for service and it will cos me $140.

So i decided to change a to a new cam.

1. Budget around $800
2. Camera – Able to use on land and UW.
Prefer a perform better on land camera which can also take a few underwater shots
3. Power options – AA batteries
4. If possible a CF card as i have a 256 CF card from my old A70
5. Ease of maintainance and support (accessibility of repair facility)
6. Accessibility of camera controls in housing

Is it too much for me to ask ??

Currently i have a few cam in mind but not sure they are able to use UW
1.Olympus C-770 Ultra Zoom
2.Panasonic DMC FZ5
3.Canon Powershot S1 IS

Maybe you guys can give me some advise on it going to SLQ to look around this weekend

sunny03 said:
Hi

I used to own a canon A70 cam for 2yrs and this few days it fail on me. Sent for service and it will cos me $140.

So i decided to change a to a new cam.

1. Budget around $800
2. Camera – Able to use on land and UW.
Prefer a perform better on land camera which can also take a few underwater shots
3. Power options – AA batteries
4. If possible a CF card as i have a 256 CF card from my old A70
5. Ease of maintainance and support (accessibility of repair facility)
6. Accessibility of camera controls in housing

Is it too much for me to ask ??

2.Panasonic DMC FZ5
3.Canon Powershot S1 IS

Maybe you guys can give me some advise on it going to SLQ to look around
this weekend

it depends.. r u planning to go back to the canon system? the specs are about the same, depends on the system u prefer...

for the system
i can adjust myself to suit the system.

most important is that i can get a value for money cam

If you are planning to get the C-770UZ, I have one for sale.

Check out this thread:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=120083

Personally I think this is a good cam but it's abit too light for me. Think it's the smallest and lightest ultra-zoom around? But then got no anti-shake la, that's a minus.

hi,

i m not sure if d Panasonic FZ-5 has a U/W housing available. but i hav read reviews tt d Panasonic is betta den Canon S1 in terms of pic quality, value, etc....

u may 1 2 check out www.dpreview.com

oh i hope ur stated budget did not include d $$ of d U/W housing...

sunny03 said:
2.Panasonic DMC FZ5
3.Canon Powershot S1 IS

Maybe you guys can give me some advise on it going to SLQ to look around this weekend

Bro

The S2 is out, why still the S1. Check out the reviews of the S2 over at www.dpreview.com

if u ask me choose either s2 to the canon ixus range. the one with the 5 megapix and upwards...

go for the canon ixus.... i am a nikon user, no offenses

Joel Lyn said:
if u ask me choose either s2 to the canon ixus range. the one with the 5 megapix and upwards...

go for the canon ixus.... i am a nikon user, no offenses

That is the question which makes people wonder why Canon doesnt up the megapixels to 7 for the S2 since the launching is later than the Ixus700.

For 4R photos, I believe it doesnt significantly make any differences whether its the Ixus700 or S2. The only difference I believe is that the user needs just a consumer camera or a prosumer camera.

Just my little opinion.

Cheers

wat if i am going to get a 2nd hand cam wat are the things to look for??

After looking at the sale forum found that there a few cam for sale under 800 like FZ-20

lenses... warranty... buttons.. body.. i think

If you like Canon then go for S2 unless you have a tight budget then get S1. I'm also looking to upgrade my A85 soon. Will still stick to Canon unless Nikon can offer a better deal for their cameras.

sunny03 said:
wat if i am going to get a 2nd hand cam wat are the things to look for??

After looking at the sale forum found that there a few cam for sale under 800 like FZ-20

Bro, I got my new Canon S2 for $840 (incl. GST) at AP and comes with 256MB memory card and 7-in-1 Goodie bag from Canon. For that extra little money, why not get a new camera instead and a one-year warranty that sets your mind at ease.

Give it a little thought.

Cheers

Lmodel said:
Bro, I got my new Canon S2 for $840 (incl. GST) at AP and comes with 256MB memory card and 7-in-1 Goodie bag from Canon. For that extra little money, why not get a new camera instead and a one-year warranty that sets your mind at ease.

Give it a little thought.

Cheers

Tks bro but for the spec the S2 are using 4 batt same as the A70
think it much heavy den the FZ

BTW where is AP you guys keep talking abpout

sunny03 said:

AP = Alan Photo. There's 1 at Sim Lim Square and 1 at Funan.

sunny03 said:
for the system
i can adjust myself to suit the system.

most important is that i can get a value for money cam

CP= Cathay Photo = Penisula Plaza
AP= Alan Photo = Funan/SLS
MS = MS Color = Ang Mo Kio Central (Look for Mr Loh or Florence and say Felix sent you).

I got all my stuff (35mm and now digital from them). Friendly and knowledgeable folks.

Cheers....

The Canon S2 is now offered with a 256MB SD card and a Canon 7-in-1 bag with has to be collected from Canon HarbourFront.

p.s. I DO NOT receive any commission by recommending anyone to go there.

sunny03 said:

The use of AA batteries should be seen as a advantage rather than a disadvantage.

For long trips or trips to countries where they do not have the same output voltage as Singapore, you will not be able to charge your camera's rechargable battery. This is where the use of AA batteries (available anywhere) comes in handy.

Cheers

Hi Sunny,

Sorry if I sidetrack a bit. You may want to check with Canon if you can trade in the faulty A70 for the newer A95 at the repair price. You can then decide to keep the A95, or sell it to upgrade to the S2.

BTW, I too got the S2 from MS about 3 weeks back at $850. Love the all in one Stills and Video features.

Cheers.

Thanks Guys u have been a great help

Lately been to many website and browse .
Decided to get either one of this model
1.Panasonic DMC FZ5
2.Canon Powershot S2 IS

Knowing that FZ5 are capable of taking sharper image den S2 (not sure about the Marco shot suppose FZ5 are better) can someone justify?

However S2 is much more heavier den FZ5 and cons it uses AA battery.

As previously as i am a canon user think it much easier for me to adopt to another canno cam.

Another question is that I suppose that both cam does not have a UW casing. Is this true ? can i get a casing for S2 since some of the Canon cam have UW casing. Not sure about Panasonic cos never heard that Panasonic have UW casing.

Lastly i hope that i did not create a war between canon & Panasonic user.:)

Maybe you guys can give some more advise and help me to decide on which cam should i buy.

Here is some pic that i have taken with my A70 last time. Hope i can do better with my new cam

22.jpg

25.jpg

Believe i did not take a good pic after seeing the gallary photo

sunny03 said:
Lately been to many website and browse .
Decided to get either one of this model
1.Panasonic DMC FZ5
2.Canon Powershot S2 IS

Knowing that FZ5 are capable of taking sharper image den S2 (not sure about the Marco shot suppose FZ5 are better) can someone justify?

However S2 is much more heavier den FZ5 and cons it uses AA battery.

i was undecided among this 2...and eventually went for S2 IS.

Image quality - not much different.....
Price - FZ5 wins....but you pay extra for S2 coz it has something Fz5 doesn't have...notably the more mannual features and brilliant video recording..
Weight - you confused me, i tot FZ5 is heavier despite smaller in size...

Battery - the main reason i went for S2 was for its AA battery...from your tone, you sound like you dislike AA battery, any reason? for me, it costs much cheaper to get a spare set of rechargeable AA battery than a proprietary battery....imagine this factor also, you were at the beach, realised that your proprietary battery power all used up or somehow wasn't properly recharged the night before....how? i personally experienced that when my proprietary battery eat up its power faster than i expected (most digicam model has no batter power indicator), that happened when i was shooting for my sister during her graduation convo, isn;t that a life time shot?....i have to rush to get a disposable film camera....

i alway prefer to use AA battery type of camera...i can just pop into any retail shop or convenient store and get myself a new set of Alkaline battery.....with properietary battery, when you are faced with that Life time shot opportunity and it fails on you, even you are willing to pay money also cannot get the "power" you wanted....

just my 2 cents...

swing123 said:
i was undecided among this 2...and eventually went for S2 IS.

Image quality - not much different.....
Price - FZ5 wins....but you pay extra for S2 coz it has something Fz5 doesn't have...notably the more mannual features and brilliant video recording..
Weight - you confused me, i tot FZ5 is heavier despite smaller in size...

Battery - the main reason i went for S2 was for its AA battery...from your tone, you sound like you dislike AA battery, any reason? for me, it costs much cheaper to get a spare set of rechargeable AA battery than a proprietary battery....imagine this factor also, you were at the beach, realised that your proprietary battery power all used up or somehow wasn't properly recharged the night before....how? i personally experienced that when my proprietary battery eat up its power faster than i expected (most digicam model has no batter power indicator), that happened when i was shooting for my sister during her graduation convo, isn;t that a life time shot?....i have to rush to get a disposable film camera....

i alway prefer to use AA battery type of camera...i can just pop into any retail shop or convenient store and get myself a new set of Alkaline battery.....with properietary battery, when you are faced with that Life time shot opportunity and it fails on you, even you are willing to pay money also cannot get the "power" you wanted....

just my 2 cents...

I also prefer AA batteries. Thats why I bought my A85 7 months ago. Just stock up no more AA batteries. I always bring at least 12 batteries along. If you need batteries cases and go East Gear at Peninsula to buy them. It only costs $1 to store 4 batteries. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.