Newbie Buying Camera!t

loansharkie

Dec 16, 2010
hello guys/girls! :)

okay, i am a true newbie in the world of photography. fiddled with some DSLRs before, tried all the different functions of a DSLR and decided its about time to buy a camera for me to play with.

i roamed about and shortlisted the following cameras:

a) Sony NEX-5
b) Canon 550D
c) Nikon 5000D

its going to be a camera that me and my missus will bring around when we go out, to snap photos that we like. at the moment, she has a normal digital camera, which is pretty much a sub-standard quality, but its light, so carrying it around is not so much of a problem.

while both of us are not a professional or simply said, NUTS when it comes to photography, we are looking for a camera to suit newbies to kick off with.

we are considering Sony NEX-5, due to its lightness, compactness, but we have our doubts over its pricing, 1299 buckaroos, with a pancake lens and a 18-55mm.

comparatively, a canon 550d, being a true DSLR, seems to be a okay choice, pricing is pretty much close to the NEX-5, but bulkier.

nikon 5000d? wasn't actually in my considerations until a salesperson pointed out that its 1099 and top up 200 bucks for 18-200mm on top of the 18-55mm.

mobility is a consideration, but its not a determining factor.

my questions!

a) how does a camera like sony NEX-5 (micro 4/3???) stand against a more established DSLR like the canon 550D and nikon 5000d?

b) which is a better newbie camera, canon 500d or the nikon 5000d?

i am so sorry if my questions does not sit well with you guys, i am a total NOOB when it comes to camera, and is trying to learn as much as i can. a thousand apologies. i just hope i can get some opinions to help me make a more informed decision.

i went to a few shops, some say, NEX-5 is good, better than DSLR, some say, DSLR is way better than NEX-5, some say, Nikon 5000d is better than canon 550d. made me very very confused.

while i understand there is no right or wrong answers, i just hope some opinions can help in my decision making.

a million thanks in advance! sorry for the Wall-Of-Text. :sweat:

It seems to me that you looking for the snapshot kind of camera, maybe a high end PnS like the LX5 , S95 or G12 might suit you better, instead of the heavier, bulkier and poisonous DSLRS.

The NEX is not a m4/3 camera, it has a full aps-c sensor. Also, it is more like a point and shoot. You are comparing it against DSLR cameras. If you want a fairer comparison, consider an A55 instead.

a) how does a camera like sony NEX-5 (micro 4/3???) stand against a more established DSLR like the canon 550D and nikon 5000d?

a million thanks in advance! sorry for the Wall-Of-Text. :sweat:

ANS a) I would say it is a slightly different target segment. All 3 cams use almost similar size of sensor (APS-C). I would say that if you really love the NEX-5 for what it is, then you'll probably dislike DSLRs... and vice versa.

ANS b) the better newbie camera is the one that suits the newbie more. It could be either. It could also be neither :)

It seems to me that you looking for the snapshot kind of camera, maybe a high end PnS like the LX5 , S95 or G12 might suit you better, instead of the heavier, bulkier and poisonous DSLRS.

The NEX is not a m4/3 camera, it has a full aps-c sensor. Also, it is more like a point and shoot. You are comparing it against DSLR cameras. If you want a fairer comparison, consider an A55 instead.

thank you guys for the prompt reply!

i know comparing NEX-5 and DSLR is not really an apple-to-apple comparison, just that deep down inside, i really want a DSLR, but it might be too techy for my missus, who is more towards a point and shoot camera.

furthermore, my brother have a pentax Pen series camera, which i think its not exactly very good, thus, another pullback for me to get a NEX.

@ismokeweed79: hi, i did look at the higher end PnS cameras, but somehow, i feel its still much behind sony NEX in terms of quality. i do agree that i am slanted towards a PnS camera, but the techy side of me wants a DSLR. makes even myself confused. i want to cater to my missus especially when she wants to use it. bulky might be a factor for her. not a very rugged lady.

@Rashkae: bro, if NEX is not a m4/3, is it considered a DSLR? paiseh, very noob question. i am more worried that the NEX's technology is still very new, maybe still a bit rough on the edges compared to the more established DSLR.

ANS a) I would say it is a slightly different target segment. All 3 cams use almost similar size of sensor (APS-C). I would say that if you really love the NEX-5 for what it is, then you'll probably dislike DSLRs... and vice versa.

ANS b) the better newbie camera is the one that suits the newbie more. It could be either. It could also be neither :)

thanks bro! i realised that QUESTION B would get me flamed here, and i appreciate your mild reply. being a NOOB, its really hard for me to put my foot down. especially when i do not know what exactly i would want in a DSLR, having not own any.

NEX-5 is pretty cool, i like the size of it. sometimes, i dont want to end up having to worry about lugging a camera bag when i go out, and like i mention, my missus is really a see and shoot kind of person. i am more concerned about the quality compromising.

thanks for the replies once again. i really appreciate it. keep it coming! :)

TS, click HERE for m4/3 information. As you will see, Sony's NEX cameras are NOT m4/3. They're EVIL (electronic viewfinder interchangeable lens) cameras

@Rashkae: bro, if NEX is not a m4/3, is it considered a DSLR? paiseh, very noob question. i am more worried that the NEX's technology is still very new, maybe still a bit rough on the edges compared to the more established DSLR.

It's considered an EVIL, much like the m4/3 EVIL cameras but uses a bigger sensor (same as the D90/D5000 sensor).

If it's for your missus, the NEX might be ideal. But if you want full DSLR controls, it will be limiting. Consider the A55 instead, which also has a full "auto" mode, and the screen can flip forwards for easy "self shooting".

thanks bro! i realised that QUESTION B would get me flamed here, and i appreciate your mild reply. being a NOOB, its really hard for me to put my foot down. especially when i do not know what exactly i would want in a DSLR, having not own any.

NEX-5 is pretty cool, i like the size of it. sometimes, i dont want to end up having to worry about lugging a camera bag when i go out, and like i mention, my missus is really a see and shoot kind of person. i am more concerned about the quality compromising.

thanks for the replies once again. i really appreciate it. keep it coming! :)
it might seem daunting, and I understand that you're fearful of making the 'wrong' choice. The sooner you realize that there really isn't a WRONG choice, the better you'll feel and the sooner you'll go out there and buy something.

If you don't like it, you can always sell it off and change to some other brand/model.
It doesn't just happen with cameras. People also move house, change car, etc... nowadays change spouse also getting more and more common :bsmilie:

NEX is a good pick for both you and your missus.

She can take it out as a PnS without compromising on image quality. And you can satisfy the techie in you as it allows interchangeable lenses. If you get an adapter, you can even use Nikon and Canon lenses (albeit without autofocus).

Canon 550D would not be something your missus would like to carry in her little handbag on casual outings with her girlfriends. That's my opinion, feel free to disagree =)

a) Sony NEX-5
b) Canon 550D
c) Nikon 5000D

The Sony NEX-5 is a cool camera, from what I see it would be a closer replacement to what you currently have due to its weight and size. You'd be more comfortable bring that around whenever you're out.

Regarding the Canon or Nikon DSLR issue, you can read up on the specifications using the links below before deciding which suits your needs better for the price you pay
Nikon D5000 http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Nikon_D5000/index.shtml
Canon 550D http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_550D_Rebel_T2i/index.shtml

Go to the shops and feel both for yourself, you'd never know which feels more comfortable until you hold them. Make a wise choice and enjoy photography :)

BUy with your feeling that you want to own, so you will motivate yourself to learn more about photography.. my 2cts

hello guys/girls! :)

okay, i am a true newbie in the world of photography. fiddled with some DSLRs before, tried all the different functions of a DSLR and decided its about time to buy a camera for me to play with.

i roamed about and shortlisted the following cameras:

a) Sony NEX-5
b) Canon 550D
c) Nikon 5000D
These are all pretty good entry level dslr. difficult choice. :sweat:
For such difficult choice I just go with emotion, kinship and feel to make my choice.:bsmilie:

A55 doesn't seem to be an entry level dslr. More like a class on its own. Just like to know, are you suggesting this because of the similar pricing?

A55 doesn't seem to be an entry level dslr. More like a class on its own. Just like to know, are you suggesting this because of the similar pricing?

Yup. I figure TS has a certain budget (around 1-1.1k), and certain requirements (must be user-friendly for the missus, but give him more room to play), so I recommended based on that budget.

TS.. IMO you should get ur wife her own pns.. i love S95 for its IQ and compactness.. she can keep it in her bag all the time.. and get urself DSLR for ur own use..

frankly, i dont think ur wife will appreciate a DSLR if she has to lug it ard.. we r talking about ard 0.7kg stuff..

The nex-5 is more compact compared to a dslr. Also, generally its easy to use even for beginners like me. There's a function that allows users to blur the background without knowing what is aperture. Sony even provide shooting tips in the camera menu. If you ever want to take control on the settings, there's the PASM modes to turn to. But take note that the nex 5 is not a dslr. Some of the common features found in dslr is not available in the nex-5. Personally, I miss the integrated OVF. Also, the nex-5 does not have a hot-shoe......another key feature of a dslr.

mobility is a consideration, but its not a determining factor.

my questions!

a) The Sony NEX-5 is a nice small camera. The main things to take note of is the menu diving needed and the reliance of the back LCD screen (ie. like a PnS camera). Other than that, its certainly stands toe to toe with other APS-C cameras around the price category wrt photo o/p

b) Actually you may want to take a look at Sony A33, A55; Nikon D3100 and Pentax Kr and benefit from the newer sensor technology and features.
The Pentax Kr is only ~$690 with on-camera shake reduction and ISO performance that is better than the older model cameras you listed. Not to mention that it does on-camera HDR and has filter features for fun effect (if you like those). The A33/55 have these as well if I am not wrong.

furthermore, my brother have a pentax Pen series camera, which i think its not exactly very good, thus, another pullback for me to get a NEX.

Lol, just because the brand is Pentax does not mean the camera model called PEN is related :D
I believe a PEN series camera is from Olympus. ;)
The Pentax PnS series are named Optio

The Pentax Kr is only ~$690 with on-camera shake reduction and ISO performance that is better than the older model cameras you listed. Not to mention that it does on-camera HDR and has filter features for fun effect (if you like those). The A33/55 have these as well if I am not wrong.

Yup, you're right - plus the Pentax uses a Sony sensor. The A33/A55 also have HDR and DRO, sweep panorama and face detection. And fast AF in live view.

Pricewise, the A290 would be closest to the Kr, but at that pricepoint I'd say the Kr is the better choice.

If you and your missus shoot in auto.

Just get the lightest and smallest ones.