Newbie buying a PnS Digital Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

aRcTiC sTaR

Feb 28, 2007
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I intend to buy a PnS digital camera, and my options are still open as I do not want to buy hastily and end up with regrets. Current models that I'm considering are the

Casio EX-Z700
Pros:
- Long battery life (approx 460 shots)
- Relatively low price ($477 includes 1GB SD card and carrying case)
Cons:
- A lil doubtful over this model as the salespeople keep pushing this product, saying that it's among the better models but when I checked online, Casio doesn't seem to be leading in digital cameras. Friends commented that the salespeople might be trying to clear stock for this model. :dunno:
- Meager reviews over this phone, saying that T10 is a better buy.

Nikon Coolpix S8
Pros:
- Stylish design
Cons:
- Slower shutter speed

Sony Cybershot T10
Pros:
- Least noise when taken up to higher ISO levels when compared to the above 2 models
- Sexy Design
Cons:
- Most expensive the above ($599 bundle with 1GB card and carrying case) ($477 without bundle)
- Expensive memory card
- Short battery life (approx 240 shots)

Will appreciate veterans' advice and suggestions on this matter.

Casio EX-Z700
Pros:
Cons:
- A lil doubtful over this model as the salespeople keep pushing this product, saying that it's among the better models but when I checked online, Casio doesn't seem to be leading in digital cameras. Friends commented that the salespeople might be trying to clear stock for this model. :dunno:

Casio isn't that bad in cam.... my friend had one, red in colour, not use the model, but it is nice to use the the colour is good....

As for the others, the price is you pay what you get... T10 is ex i think is becoz the lens would not be shooting out when u zoom.

Panasonic and Fuji are also good... Fuji good nosie control and Pansonic easy usuage

As for the memory card, you need not buy from the Sony if your cam is sony, mayb can try Kingston or Scandisk for a cheaper option...

the usual and field you want to take photos of is also the issue, if like concert, you need high ISO which would put panasonic out of the picture due to its poor noise control at ISO 800

Welcome to CS family

Casio EX-Z700
Pros:
Cons:

Casio isn't that bad in cam.... my friend had one, red in colour, not use the model, but it is nice to use the the colour is good....

As for the others, the price is you pay what you get... T10 is ex i think is becoz the lens would not be shooting out when u zoom.

Panasonic and Fuji are also good... Fuji good nosie control and Pansonic easy usuage

As for the memory card, you need not buy from the Sony if your cam is sony, mayb can try Kingston or Scandisk for a cheaper option...

the usual and field you want to take photos of is also the issue, if like concert, you need high ISO which would put panasonic out of the picture due to its poor noise control at ISO 800

Welcome to CS family

Thanks for the welcome :D

Hmm Sony models use Sony Memory Stick Duo / Pro Duo, which is made by Sony so if I'm not wrong no other brands of memory stick can be used... Any particular Lumix or Finepix models to recommend?

Casio EX-Z700
Pros:
Cons:

Welcome to CS family
talking about concert... normal 3x zoom ain't enough... you need a super zoom, else you are just taking picture of miniature models... ok, unless you are right at the front. :sweat:

Okay now some of the Finepix models are catching my eye too. Prob not in design, but spec wise it does seem good, other than its proprietary xD card.

Hmm Sony models use Sony Memory Stick Duo / Pro Duo, which is made by Sony so if I'm not wrong no other brands of memory stick can be used... Any particular Lumix or Finepix models to recommend?

Not true...there are lotsa 3rd party MSPD (so called no brand) ard...cheap and good...I'm using a 4Gb one for my psp =) I believe they can be used with Sony cameras too...but Sony cams are overpriced I feel...

Yup, Sandisk & Kingston do produce MSPD too and they can be used on Sony cameras. I would suggest the Sony or Casio cams. They are quite good as compared to some others.

talking about concert... normal 3x zoom ain't enough... you need a super zoom, else you are just taking picture of miniature models... ok, unless you are right at the front. :sweat:
oo ya hor concert cannot... got too carried away with FZ50.... well like captive marina show or dancing events like spring in the city, high ISO is needed to freeze... i seem a number of 3x zoom at spring too... or TS can try Sony T100, 5X zoom;)

Sandisk and many other memory card makers also make memory sticks. =D

That is grossly incorrect. Sandisk and Sony co-developed the memory stick format, and you can get a 4GB sandisk for 137.90 SGD. Will work 100%.

That is grossly incorrect. Sandisk and Sony co-developed the memory stick format, and you can get a 4GB sandisk for 137.90 SGD. Will work 100%.

Ok that sounds good. Just checked that a 1GB Sony Pro Duo costs around $60.

By the way, any of you know if the place of manufacturing matters? Just learnt that T10s are manufactured in 3 places, namely Japan, Malaysia and China. Not sure which model the Sony shop sells, but the shops in Sim Lim sells them at different prices.

Ok sweet.

Right now I got two options if I decide to buy the T10.

1. Bundled Package for $565 ($34 off the usual $599).
Includes standard package + 1GB + Carrying case

2. $520 odd (after 5% GST on $450 + $50 for Sandisk 1GB)
Includes standard package

Difference of about $40 for a carrying case and a Sandisk stick instead of a Sony one. Opinions? I haven't seen its carrying case before.

Ok that sounds good. Just checked that a 1GB Sony Pro Duo costs around $60.

By the way, any of you know if the place of manufacturing matters? Just learnt that T10s are manufactured in 3 places, namely Japan, Malaysia and China. Not sure which model the Sony shop sells, but the shops in Sim Lim sells them at different prices.

Can get a 3rd party 2Gb high speed MSPD at slightly less than $60.

I don't think the place of manufacturing matters...altho pple might say Japan's QC is always the best. And don't buy your camera at Sim Lim or Sony Gallery. Go to the shops trusted by forummers here, e.g. Mscolor, Alan Photo, blah blah...guaranteed much cheaper and better service ;)

no doubt, #2 for me... unless u need the case.

Can get a 3rd party 2Gb high speed MSPD at slightly less than $60.

I don't think the place of manufacturing matters...altho pple might say Japan's QC is always the best. And don't buy your camera at Sim Lim or Sony Gallery. Go to the shops trusted by forummers here, e.g. Mscolor, Alan Photo, blah blah...guaranteed much cheaper and better service ;)

Noted. Does AP or CP have a website or number that I can call?

Sorry I mean does anyone have AP or CP's contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.