newbie buying a DSLR , pls advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryansinho

Jul 26, 2009
East
Hi All,

I am upgrading up my compact camera to a DLSR. which brand is more suitable for me?I am thinking of getting the Canon EOS D500.

And any other accessories I should buy too?

:D

Hello...welcome.

As I have mentioned in this forum before, all entry level DSLRs are able to yield decent pictures if you used them within their limits. All brands and models will have their limitations and strengths. Do take a look at what Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, Panasonic and Samsung has to offer. Brand is not important, as they are all capable cameras.

Compare the features and cameras of different brands and go to a shop to feel them and see which is more comfortable to you.

accessories?

tripod if you like to take pics at night/low-light conditions or self-portraits...

filters if you like certain effects or just want to protect your lens...

lens hood if it doesn't come with your lens... to reduce glare etc.

external flash if you think you'll use it often...

and of course, you'll probably go beyond one lens eventually....

Hi All,

I am upgrading up my compact camera to a DLSR. which brand is more suitable for me?I am thinking of getting the Canon EOS D500.

How will we know what brand is more suitable for you? Only you can decide that. Do your own research first. Try the cameras, see which is the most comfortable. List down the features you find important, and then narrow down what cameras have what features (lens-based vs. built-in IS for example)

Hi All,

Q: Which brand is more suitable?
A: Canon then. Since u are thinking about Canon.

Q: Other accessories?
A: Common ones are bag, tripod, dry-cabinet, UV filter, spare batteries, flash. My best advice to u is just get those package which gives u quite a number of freebies. Then you start increasing your items bit by bit according to what u need/want. Never rush into buying things.

My best advice to u is just get those package which gives u quite a number of freebies. Then you start increasing your items bit by bit according to what u need/want. Never rush into buying things.

And very soon TS will notice that those freebies were free of charge but mostly also free of real use / value. Cheap filters, flimsy tripods, funny little brushes sold as "cleaning kits" and what else some shops push into the bags before it's getting more dusty on the shelf.
Get the basic kit with kit lens, that's it. Don't get anything else just because the shop offers it "by the way you should also get...". Additional accessories are ok but first read up and see what is useful, good and recommend. A tripod needs a few more considerations (there's even an extensive guide here), a rocket dollar blower serves better than a tiny freebie. Choosing a filter will bring along some knowledge about the types, pros and cons. In the end it's a conscious decision instead of just bagging stuffs that is marked as "foc". There is no free lunch.

And very soon TS will notice that those freebies were free of charge but mostly also free of real use / value. Cheap filters, flimsy tripods, funny little brushes sold as "cleaning kits" and what else some shops push into the bags before it's getting more dusty on the shelf.
Get the basic kit with kit lens, that's it. Don't get anything else just because the shop offers it "by the way you should also get...". Additional accessories are ok but first read up and see what is useful, good and recommend. A tripod needs a few more considerations (there's even an extensive guide here), a rocket dollar blower serves better than a tiny freebie. Choosing a filter will bring along some knowledge about the types, pros and cons. In the end it's a conscious decision instead of just bagging stuffs that is marked as "foc". There is no free lunch.

thanks guys! thanks so much for the tips.:D

What everyone saying is true. Do some research on the type of camera that you want and go down to a shop and try it out first. See what suits you. Hold it in your hands and feel it..

Im very new to photography and have not bought my camera too, but I set my mind on the Nikon D90, although in the beginning I too was looking @ the 500D.... and if you are very new to photography, resist the temptation of getting many accessories, get only the essentials... at least that what some of my buddies are telling me. :)

Hi All,

Welcome to Clubsnap... :)

woah...
"which brand is more suitable for me"..... errrrm, Canon?
Yes just get the 500D. Can't go wrong there.

just buy the DSLR + kit lens (or u want to have better lens then get the body + better lens) + dry cabinet + UV filter to protect your lens.

the rest can wait, u wun die without them.

just dun scrimp on the dry cabinet.

"which brand is more suitable for me"..... errrrm, Canon?
Yes just get the 500D. Can't go wrong there.

Maybe TS should contact the marketing departments of C,N,S,P etc to check what the targeted personality profiles for each brand / model are :)

Ryansinho, you seem to have an inclination towards Canon as you speak of the 500D. Then go ahead and buy it. Otherwise you will have many sleepless nights.

Whichever system you start off with, it is the same initially to a newbie. It makes no difference.

But as one grows and matures, often one finds deficiencies in his own system, and something marvellous on the other systems. And just as often, he will be euphoric to find his own systems pictiure colour better than the OTHER systems...

This goes on. Until one reaches the stage of Masterhood. Then nothing makes a difference. Form becomes Empty, and Empty becomes Form. And Canon is no longer Canon, and Nikon is no longer Nikon. It finally makes no difference.

Whichever system you start off with, it is the same initially to a newbie. It makes no difference.

But as one grows and matures, often one finds deficiencies in his own system, and something marvellous on the other systems. And just as often, he will be euphoric to find his own systems pictiure colour better than the OTHER systems...

This goes on. Until one reaches the stage of Masterhood. Then nothing makes a difference. Form becomes Empty, and Empty becomes Form. And Canon is no longer Canon, and Nikon is no longer Nikon. It finally makes no difference.

:thumbsup:

TS, u shld try the grip of the 500D and see if you like it. Feeling of the camera and following a brand i realise is 2 different thing. :)

Work out ur budget 1st..
DSLR is not like PNS where the buying mostly stop w/ the body

Need to resist the BBB virus for accessories ! :devil:
But true enough, get a dry cabinet 1st !

As some CSers had pointed out, all DSLR brands can produce decent pictures, even if it is used by a newbie.
One tips for newbie buying DSLR, always do your 'homework' on the prices before venturing to purchase your dream set, and highly recommended to go to those reputable retail shops. :D

i'm also looking to upgrade to a dslr from my fuji s6500fd. Currently contemplating either a Sony A350 and Canon 450D...anyone has any views on the 2? which will have better low light performance?

i'm also looking to upgrade to a dslr from my fuji s6500fd. Currently contemplating either a Sony A350 and Canon 450D...anyone has any views on the 2? which will have better low light performance?

Have a look at dpreview.com - they also do comparisons between cameras of roughly the same level, including high ISO performance.

I would imagine that the difference is negligible.
I own neither, so I can't give any conclusive remarks.
I don't think any CSer owns both either! :)
How dark is your 'low light' ?? you probably need flash or tripod if it's dark.

I would imagine that the difference is negligible.
I own neither, so I can't give any conclusive remarks.
I don't think any CSer owns both either! :)
How dark is your 'low light' ?? you probably need flash or tripod if it's dark.

i think its actually the high iso performance of the 2 cameras that i was referring to:sweatsm:..will take up Octarine's suggestion to check out the comparisons on dpreview...but currently, i'm swayed towards the sony due to the in-built IS..

Status
Not open for further replies.