Newbie but retired and old

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagle star

Jan 2, 2010
I chance upon clubsnap while looking at some website to purchase a camera. Wondering if I am to old to take up photography. I am retired and obviously past 55. Plenty of time in my hands. Past six months was golfing but recently due to pain in joints had to stop.

Almost bought an EP1, but EP2 was launched, and I am confused. Then there is GF1, DSLR etc. Should someone like me buy EP2, when just starting out. Only time before this behind the camera was when clicking the shutter as a favour to others.

Where in the market that is reliable to buy cameras and accessories. I am totally novice and blur.

We have many members hitting the golden years. It's the time when you have 10x more time for photography than the rest of us! Hahahah! :)

We have a priceguides section where you can see recommended shops. As for the camera, it's difficult to recommend one as a camera is a very personal choice. It's up to you as to which feels "best" in your hands.

Hi Sir,
Welcome! I'm also very new (got my DSLR 9 days ago) and in the Canon guide book there is a story of a French woman who started photography in her 70s and it turned out she's very talented. :heart:

As for choosing camera, here is one thread about that:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=627308

I chance upon clubsnap while looking at some website to purchase a camera. Wondering if I am to old to take up photography. I am retired and obviously past 55. Plenty of time in my hands. Past six months was golfing but recently due to pain in joints had to stop.

Almost bought an EP1, but EP2 was launched, and I am confused. Then there is GF1, DSLR etc. Should someone like me buy EP2, when just starting out. Only time before this behind the camera was when clicking the shutter as a favour to others.

Where in the market that is reliable to buy cameras and accessories. I am totally novice and blur.

No one's too old or too young to take up photography!

What's important is one's attitude and willingness to learn.

I sense that you've shot on film cameras before.

If I could make a suggestion ... there are two basic approaches you could take:

1) Buy a camera and start discovering. It will take longer, and could be far more frustrating

... or

2) Invest some time and read all you can about digital photography first, as well as workflow processes like post-processing, which is essential in any sphere of photography, except that in digital, the photographer is usually expected to take over this area as well.

As for choice of equipment, it's largely personal, and also dependent on what you shoot, where and under what sort of conditions. In short, a balance. Reading and researching in-depth reviews, as well as user reviews/comments on various forums would reveal more than any marketing material would like you to know.

All the best! :)

We have many members hitting the golden years. It's the time when you have 10x more time for photography than the rest of us! Hahahah! :)

We have a priceguides section where you can see recommended shops. As for the camera, it's difficult to recommend one as a camera is a very personal choice. It's up to you as to which feels "best" in your hands.

just a side note... please do not get con into buy bundle package esp on items you have not researched on... once they try to push... walk away...

Hi welcome welcome

if you know how to log onto the internet, search for camera information online,register a forum and post questions online... then everything should be easy for you. My 60-year-old parent don't even know how to use the pc.

i suggest you log onto youtube and search for videos on the cameras or photography techniques.... they have everything there. some even do a hands on demo. i hate reading equipment reviews and photography technical stuff because there are lots of words and sometimes i don't understand what they are saying.

youtube videos shows you everything

I am impressed by the response. All help me a lot. Surely I have come to the right place. Will surely let you guys know when I made my purchase. So far it is likely to be EP2 or GF1, with Canon G11 coming close.

I am impressed by the response. All help me a lot. Surely I have come to the right place. Will surely let you guys know when I made my purchase. So far it is likely to be EP2 or GF1, with Canon G11 coming close.

welcome on board!!!

i've stumbled upon this forum not too long ago too...

learning is a never ending process... hope u find ur passion in photography,... =)

Hi Eagle Star,

Just to let you know - I'm 50 years old and just bought a 500D about 3 months back. Whenever I meet up with fellow clubsnappers e.g. when I buy or sell something in BnS, I always tell the younger ones to look out for a man with grey hair. Never fails, because I really have a head of grey hair.

Anyway, welcome welcome -

Peng Kang Hill

Welcome to CS :) 55? Still young. Photography is a nice hobby. Nice to have you on board ;)

Do you know that photography is good for retiree; it gives you plenty of exercise and keep your mind busy.

I take my camera with me every day when I go for my 4km walk; I'm already 60+.

Welcome to CS :)

Its Never to old to learn photography.. in fact there's no age limit.. as long as you have the interest and passion, you can achieve great things in photography..

well, hope you got what you wanted.. if not, can always go down to the shops to try them out before you make a decision to buy them.. most important is you do your homework and know what you want to do with the camera you're gonna have in your hand :D

Hi Eagle Star, welcome to photography and welcome to CS!
Well, it's never too old to take up anything and besides, when was the last time you did something for the first time? So long you can see, you can take up photography!

I would humbly suggest some reading before deciding what to buy. Here's a pretty good link:
http://digital-photography-school.com/digital-photography-tips-for-beginners

If you find it's a lot of reading, it is. Buying a camera is not a destination; it's a journey. Make it rewarding!

Welcome aboard!

Hi eagle star, I think you are on the right path. A lot of people jump with two feet into dSLR when they take up photography, actually, the models that you mentioned are already very good to get started. They have all the different modes as well as Manual mode to play with and it is not too heavy.

I am also getting close to retirement and I realized I no longer can carry heavy bodies/lenses as I did before. Also the image stabilization either from the camera body or lenses will help greatly with our hands no longer that stable. So, a smaller camera actually is a good choice to get started.

On top of 10x of time, people at the retire age tends to have 10x more money as well. :bsmilie: However, Photography does not have to be a very expensive hobby if you can control yourself and just get what you need instead of what you want.

Hope you enjoy this journey as much as I do. Good luck.

Yes indeed, lenses are indeed a huge poison :p

Consider very carefully before buying any lens, such as whether it covers the range that you want, whether an existing lens you have already covers the same range or has the same performance, and ultimately the cost hehe :)

Enjoy!,
gibss.

a 4/3 system would b better as u mention u hv pains in ur joints etc.

u r nvr too old to learn new things :D

enjoy

Hello Eagle Star, You retired from working but not from life, so there is plenty ahead. Next year I will be 60 years. Send me a PM if you think I can help. EP2/GF1 is a good start. Even if you decide on other formats later, these two models have a good secondary market for them.

you remind me of that granny with GH1 i met in Shanghai...

Welcome and have fun... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.