Newbie - Blue Skies

silverfern7

Apr 14, 2010
in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and everything else

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Would like to share with viewers what i see from my travels

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken on a cool day at around 10am, SOuth Africa using Nikon d3000

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally liked the clouds formation and the very blue sky.

DSC_0113.jpg

Last edited:
in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition and everything else

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Would like to share with viewers what i see from my travels

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken on a cool day at around 10am, SOuth Africa using Nikon d3000

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally liked the clouds formation and the very blue sky.

Vocation

I see no sky !

Sorry guys...error with my URL :)

Nice colours...I see abit of sensor dust...and hv sm issue with the rocks on extreme right... coz only shows abit quite distracting...why nt juz crop it...

Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to comment more...

i like the clouds formation. did you pp the pic on the saturation?

Hi, no PP done. It was captured using normal Landscape mode. I took 2 shots in short succession, the first one's colour is not as nice. Likely due to the WB?

It looks like a photo of a sky done in a parking lot. The sky looks nice but nothing to anchor me as i'm thinking, why did you shoot this? Compositionally, I don't know what i'm looking for. It seems that there are some mountains in the background and some sort of statue to the right, so perhaps moving yourself would and framing differently, could give you a stronger photo. Just my 2 cents...

Hi, no PP done. It was captured using normal Landscape mode. I took 2 shots in short succession, the first one's colour is not as nice. Likely due to the WB?

ok. looks over-saturated to me to the point it doesn't look natural. check your cam picture settings if you have cranked it up.

otherwise everything else looks ok to me. :)

These are what l learned from friends when shooting landscape.

1. Look for leading line(s).
2. The picture should have near, middle and far objects.

From your picture, I notice some trees seems to be isolated by itself. I would choose to compose the picture by using one of the tree as the middle object and look for grass field as near object (this mean, lower the camera closer to the ground), while the mountains as far objects. Add together with the dramatic sky, I think it would make it into a very interesting picture.

Anyway, I am still learning landscape, so don't flame me if it is not that correct. :sweat:

Last edited:
Thanks, every comment is taken positively..

No point of interest in the photo.

1) too much sky too little ground. Even though given that the empasis is on the sky in this picture, I still prefer to follow the 1/3 of the picture contain the ground 2/3 of the picture contain the sky, or 1/3 sky 2/3 ground composition to have a better balance.

2) in this case the foreground lacks any interest. and as mention by lenrek, leading lines are useful to capture the attention of the viewer. Notice ahead of the "carkpark" there is sort of a road. A better picture would be to take it further in front and maybe captured the road diminishing into the distant

hope you had fun in south africa ;)

Yes agree with the composition was a bit out, the road diminishing into a distant is a good point to note too...thanks

I believe u could get a better composition than this. Try to see meanings in pictures. With the same place, but different angle, and position, the better composition tells stories and should touch viewer's emotion. Just some tips: Just take the cloud without the land, u'll be amazed that it'd be nice. Sky is a very special attributes in landscape, it alone tells stories. And yes, your picture is overly saturated, and especially too redish for the rock and grass part. If u can, a bit of pp like: necessary cropping and playing with curves and level can beautify a picture.

With so much sky, you need something in the foreground or bottom of the frame, like a human or a vehicle to act as counterweight and anchor the photo.

nice picture but the sky takes too much space in this photo i think