Newbie at Cover Shoot Assignment - what to look out for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleek

Oct 11, 2004
Tampines Central
Very nervous now that I have accepted a cover shoot for a friend's mag. Can the shifus out there advise on some dos and don'ts?

:embrass:

What's it of? Model? Product shot? Scenery? Interior? Outdoors? Indoors? Lighting required? Makeup? Location? Concept?

Terence said:
What's it of? Model? Product shot? Scenery? Interior? Outdoors? Indoors? Lighting required? Makeup? Location?

Sorry, more details. Outdoor journalistic, walkaround shots of some famous people.

looked at your signature, if you own all these, you call yourself newbie? :think:

unless these are your dream to own lah..

you need to tell us what sort of event you are covering, be it also for the environment you are in..

likely wide lenses and speedlite needed..:)

erhm...juz shoot more la...sure will have one shot can use one...good luck

RockPopCorns said:
looked at your signature, if you own all these, you call yourself newbie? :think:

unless these are your dream to own lah..
;p I equipment collector ;p

RockPopCorns said:
you need to tell us what sort of event you are covering, be it also for the environment you are in..

likely wide lenses and speedlite needed..:)

Ok, basically it is an interview with some famous japs and I am suppose to cover the photo part for the interview, the mag cover and centre spread. The location will be in little india in the morning and will be having food over there as well.

Suppose to do several individual posing shots + group shots + head shots + full body + expression shots.

ya... extra batt for body and flash, bounce card, memory cards..etc..

small towel if you need since its outdoor.

last but not least, your smiles when walkaround.:)

Sounds nice and informal. Cover shots are generally taken in portrait orientation, leave some open space on the top for the masthead. The requirements will vary from publication to publication but these are some general guidelines. Good idea to bring a strobe along for a bit of fill flash. Choose your background properly, a cleaner background might be better if there is need to put text in other areas of the cover, that again is a guideline and artistic sensibilities may override that.

Engage the subject, make em laugh/smile or do something. Good luck.

an assistant with a nice gold reflector might help if u not very good at controlling the flash ratio.

fleek said:
;p I equipment collector ;p

Ok, basically it is an interview with some famous japs and I am suppose to cover the photo part for the interview, the mag cover and centre spread. The location will be in little india in the morning and will be having food over there as well.

Suppose to do several individual posing shots + group shots + head shots + full body + expression shots.

Richman:sweat:

some more. watch for their fair skin tones, do a correct metering..

do also watch for shadows detail if doing close up shot, get yourself a tripod or monopod if necessary.. for me when i cover events, usually prepare myself four legs (3 +1):sweatsm:

Terence said:
Sounds nice and informal. Cover shots are generally taken in portrait orientation, leave some open space on the top for the masthead. The requirements will vary from publication to publication but these are some general guidelines. Good idea to bring a strobe along for a bit of fill flash. Choose your background properly, a cleaner background might be better if there is need to put text in other areas of the cover, that again is a guideline and artistic sensibilities may override that.

Engage the subject, make em laugh/smile or do something. Good luck.

good advise!:thumbsup:

i learned something here today..
I total forgot bout the mag layout...

I am going to sound like a broken record again. Wonder why a magazine will want someone with minimal experience to shoot the cover and center spread for them. Looking more and more like a disaster in the making!

Maybe its a startup on a limited budget. Maybe fleek has an awesome personal portfolio you haven't seen before. Maybe he's doing his friend a favor. I'm a newbie at shooting myself but have managed to do 1 cover shot and several published shots with no issues. A bit of planning will go a long way, best not to question his abilities but prod him along with a bit of encouragement and useful advice.

if newbie not given a chance, where do the pro comes from?

well, not all newbie got beginners luck!!:sticktong

Not so nervous now...it is just the soccer players from Albirex team.

fleek said:
Not so nervous now...it is just the soccer players from Albirex team.

Well. Still keep it professional. Always smile. :)
All the best!!

nemesis32 said:
bring a ball... it will keep them active....:p

Don't worry, there is going to be a sweet young girl there doing the interview. I guess they won't be bored and will be beaming the whole time ;p ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.